Zakos for (GZ)Doom (Release) (1 Viewer)

MZZ

Content Creator
Hi All,

for my personal amusement I started to make a mod (wad) for the old Doom game.
The caveat to my endeavor is a) I'm not an artist and b) this is my first Doom project.
So there is much to learn & do :D

A mayor inspiration for me is (among others) Pixiv user "Beast Anime"

Mission statement
Replacing the Doom(II) monsters with sexy Zako girls without changing gameplay or their AI state machine.
As long as vanilla monsters are used, the mod should be compatible with other mods/maps.
Draft5_1.jpg Draft5_2.jpg Draft5_3.jpg

Where to get it?
In the RPG Other Download section, Name is "Zako Doom".

How to get it to run?
- You need ZDoom or GZDoom. Both can be downloaded her for free: GZDoom
You also need the original asset files (wad) from Doom or Doom2.
- Copy the Zako.wad into the same folder as (G)ZDoom, then drag & drop the file onto the (G)ZDoom.exe.
The game then starts with the mod and you can play vanilla doom with Zako Girls ;)

Whats the difference between ZDoom and GZDoom ?
Both versions are extended implementations of the old Doom engine.
(Id Software released the source code yonks ago and allowed the community to go nuts. They did.)
ZDoom uses a software renderer and looks more "true" to the original Dos version.
GZDoom is basically the same engine, but uses an OpenGL Hardware accelerated renderer.
Which allows for a lot of gimmicks and effects (lightning, shaders, etc) IF called for by a mod.

Recommendation
Use Beautiful Doom alongside, it really pumps up the sounds & visuals
of stock Doom without changing to much gameplay.
Command line for a startup batch:
gzdoom.exe -file bdoom630.pk3 zako.wad
(adapt for a higher version for Beautiful Doom)

Release is Done :)

Known Bugs:
- Monster gallery at the end of Doom II uses stock sounds (may be hard coded) and ignores the scaling factors. So you get a gallery of "attack of the 50 feet woman". Which is kinda funny :D

- if the player is gibbed (e.g. barrel explosion) the general xdeath sound is played, which is now a female scream.

Attachments

• Draft5.jpg
    Draft5.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 4,708
  • cast2.png
    cast2.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 3,487
  • status.png
    status.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 2,971
Last edited:

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Hi All,

for my personal amusement I started to make a mod (wad) for the old Doom game.
The aim is to replace the Vanilla Monsters with Zako girls. (so only a "simple" graphics replacement mod)
As long as vanilla monsters are used, the mod should be compatible with other mods/maps.

The caveat to my endeavor is a) I'm not an artist and b) this is my first Doom project.
So there is much to learn & do :D

A mayor inspiration for me is (among others) Pixiv user "Beast Anime"

The current draft looks like this:
View attachment 71838

The draft for the former marine is a "very inspired" version of one of Beast Anime's artworks,
so I'll wait for his permission to use her, or swap her out before uploading my current draft.

How to get it to run?
- You need ZDoom or GZDoom. Both can be downloaded her for free: GZDoom
You also need the original asset files (wad) from Doom or Doom2.
- Copy the Zako.wad into the same folder as (G)ZDoom, then drag & drop the file onto the (G)ZDoom.exe.
The game then starts with the mod and you can play vanilla doom with Zako Girls ;)

Whats the difference between ZDoom and GZDoom ?
Both versions are extended implementations of the old Doom engine.
(Id Software released the source code yonks ago and allowed the community to go nuts. They did.)
ZDoom uses a software renderer and looks more "true" to the original Dos version.
GZDoom is basically the same engine, but uses an OpenGL Hardware accelerated renderer.
Which allows for a lot of gimmicks and effects (lightning, shaders, etc) IF called for by a mod.

Nicely done I'll give this a spin once I find a copy of the old Doom 2 wad file, I look forward to seeing more of this fine project.

MZZ

Content Creator
It's approved.
Very respectfully,
fleet (global moderator)

Thanks!

Now, some things I want to change in the next steps:
- Complete the sprites for Chain Gunner, Extremeeee Death animation is missing. (The gibbing animation)
- Not happy with the weapon props of the Models. Need to dig deeper in the toybox to find appropriate guns.
- Sound. The stock sounds are just jarring with the changed graphics. That's a tricky one, need to pilfer free sound libraries.
- General aesthetics and art design.
Keeping with the Doom theme ("color coded" monsters) for playability?
A more homgenous sheme for more "zakoness" ? (Making the enemies less distinct)
- What to do with the really monstrous enemies? (Baron of Hell, the flying Cacodemon)

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Thanks!

Now, some things I want to change in the next steps:
- Complete the sprites for Chain Gunner, Extremeeee Death animation is missing. (The gibbing animation)
- Not happy with the weapon props of the Models. Need to dig deeper in the toybox to find appropriate guns.
- Sound. The stock sounds are just jarring with the changed graphics. That's a tricky one, need to pilfer free sound libraries.
- General aesthetics and art design.
Keeping with the Doom theme ("color coded" monsters) for playability?
A more homgenous sheme for more "zakoness" ? (Making the enemies less distinct)
- What to do with the really monstrous enemies? (Baron of Hell, the flying Cacodemon)

Thank you for your hard work, going to try the release you posted.

I'd keep the color coded doom theme, as for the Baron Of Hell and the Cacodemon how about using a taller more muscle bound female Zako to replace the BOH and a winged female Zako for the CD since you are using vaguely human female humanoids for the Zakos.

As for the archnatron, Spider Brain and Cyberdeamon how about using cybernetic female zakos to replace them.

MZZ

Content Creator
I'd keep the color coded doom theme, as for the Baron Of Hell and the Cacodemon how about using a taller more muscle bound female Zako to replace the BOH and a winged female Zako for the CD since you are using vaguely human female humanoids for the Zakos.

As for the archnatron, Spider Brain and Cyberdeamon how about using cybernetic female zakos to replace them.
I'm thinking in the same direction, a problem will be the dimensions of some of the monsters. The Spider Mastermind for example is even wider than tall. So things could get weird with hitboxes/clipping when replaced with something humanoid.

Let me know how your test drive went :)

Kargan3033

Club Regular
I'm thinking in the same direction, a problem will be the dimensions of some of the monsters. The Spider Mastermind for example is even wider than tall. So things could get weird with hitboxes/clipping when replaced with something humanoid.

Let me know how your test drive went :)

First off I have to say my test drive was great, the fem zako animations were smooth and flawless, I also like how you added the blood splatters, imp fire scorching of the wall and the bullet holes on the walls, well done and what was your inspiration for using elven cunts as zakos, not that I'm complaining, far from it.

As for the hit box issue why not do away with the Spider Master mind completely and replace it with a more humanoid fem elf zako, basically completely replacing the large monsters with more humanoid fem elf zakos which shouldn't have an issue with hit boxes as far as I know.

Defiantly looking forward to seeing more of this fine mod.

MZZ

Content Creator
First off I have to say my test drive was great, the fem zako animations were smooth and flawless, I also like how you added the blood splatters, imp fire scorching of the wall and the bullet holes on the walls, well done and what was your inspiration for using elven cunts as zakos, not that I'm complaining, far from it.

As for the hit box issue why not do away with the Spider Master mind completely and replace it with a more humanoid fem elf zako, basically completely replacing the large monsters with more humanoid fem elf zakos which shouldn't have an issue with hit boxes as far as I know.

Defiantly looking forward to seeing more of this fine mod.
Thank You for your kind words :)

The wall decals are on GZDoom not on me, I also tried Beautiful Doom which greatly enhances sound and sights without changing gameplay and it seems to be compatible. So give it a run alongside my mod. (if you don't use a loader, make a batch with: gzdoom.exe -file bdoom630.pk3 zako.wad)

Well, Elfs are another kink of mine, so personal interest is the inspiration :tongue:

The hitboxes are not tied to the graphics and I could change them easily enough with ZDoom scripting.
But the danger is to break something else while doing so. Making the Spider Mastermind smaller, would allow it to suddenly pass through places
where it is not intended to go by the mapper. So I'll put that a bit lower on the to do list ;)

For the next draft I plan to
- do a palette swap of the current Zakos to fit more to the Doom style monsters.
- switch out some growl sounds to female gasps (if one finds suitable free soundfiles, please let me know :) )
- to generate the sprites quicker, I've reduced the render quality. E.g. 8 frames took a minute, now 15s to render.
A complete sprite "sheet" has 80-90 frames. So that keeps prototyping much quicker.
See if you can spot the difference ;)

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Thank You for your kind words :)

The wall decals are on GZDoom not on me, I also tried Beautiful Doom which greatly enhances sound and sights without changing gameplay and it seems to be compatible. So give it a run alongside my mod. (if you don't use a loader, make a batch with: gzdoom.exe -file bdoom630.pk3 zako.wad)

Ahh ok then but even if you did not create the wall effects it is a nice touch to your mod

Well, Elfs are another kink of mine, so personal interest is the inspiration :tongue:

Well, well, well a fellow lover of the knife eared tree fuckers, nice, I think we are going to get along just fine.

The hitboxes are not tied to the graphics and I could change them easily enough with ZDoom scripting.
But the danger is to break something else while doing so. Making the Spider Mastermind smaller, would allow it to suddenly pass through places
where it is not intended to go by the mapper. So I'll put that a bit lower on the to do list ;)

Ahh ok then even if the SM's hit boxes are not tied to the graphics they could be changed by changing the properties of the SM?,

I'm a complete noob when it comes game editing, but I did make a mod for Doom 2 when the game first came out way back when using the D-Hack program but if you say you can make the changes using gzdoom's scripting then I'll take your word for it

For the next draft I plan to
- do a palette swap of the current Zakos to fit more to the Doom style monsters.

So you are getting rid of fem elf zako?

- switch out some growl sounds to female gasps (if one finds suitable free soundfiles, please let me know :) )

If I come across any I'll grab them for you if I can

- to generate the sprites quicker, I've reduced the render quality. E.g. 8 frames took a minute, now 15s to render.
A complete sprite "sheet" has 80-90 frames. So that keeps prototyping much quicker.
See if you can spot the difference ;)

How much will the render quality go down, one of the reasons why I love this mod is the quality of the fem elf zakos.

MZZ

Content Creator
Ahh ok then even if the SM's hit boxes are not tied to the graphics they could be changed by changing the properties of the SM?,

I'm a complete noob when it comes game editing, but I did make a mod for Doom 2 when the game first came out way back when using the D-Hack program but if you say you can make the changes using gzdoom's scripting then I'll take your word for it
GZDoom is quite flexible when it comes to changing or mix & matching existing properties. Plasma throwing imps that fly? why not :D
Only when you want something that is not found as an aspect in any existing enemy, then you have a problem.

GZDoom still works with DEHACKED...and DECORATE....and BEX pointern...and ACS script, and ZScript... and some more.
Which is utter confusing when you start your journey into modding :eek: But they did it to be backwards compatible with the early hacking & modding of the original doom.exe. So in theory, even your old DEHACKED patch should still work :)

So you are getting rid of fem elf zako?
Oh no, I just tweak their clothing colors to match the main colors of the original monsters.

If I come across any I'll grab them for you if I can
Thanks, so far I've found only one "voice" with useable samples.

How much will the render quality go down, one of the reasons why I love this mod is the quality of the fem elf zakos.
Not that drastically, lightning & shadows are what takes most of the render time. The sprite size stays the same.
Here a comparison (left old sprite with shadows, right new without):
compare.jpg
And this is only for the prototyping phase. When I'm happy with the model and animations, then I can let it render in full quality.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
GZDoom is quite flexible when it comes to changing or mix & matching existing properties. Plasma throwing imps that fly? why not :D
Only when you want something that is not found as an aspect in any existing enemy, then you have a problem.

Oh ok then

GZDoom still works with DEHACKED...and DECORATE....and BEX pointern...and ACS script, and ZScript... and some more.
Which is utter confusing when you start your journey into modding :eek: But they did it to be backwards compatible with the early hacking & modding of the original doom.exe. So in theory, even your old DEHACKED patch should still work :)

Well shit, it would be interesting to see if it would work with gzdoom but I made that patch a long time ago on an old computer I no longer have so it is lost to time, a few things I remember about that old mod is faster firing weapons by cunt down on the number of firing animations, replacing the bullet puffs with arch vile flame attack to give a flaming ammo attack and changing the plasma gun to fire a blue health orb that would start firing plasma bolts in a cross pattern.

Oh no, I just tweak their clothing colors to match the main colors of the original monsters.

Ahh ok then and that looks pretty sharp, I like it

Thanks, so far I've found only one "voice" with useable samples.

Ok then even though I don't know where to find some sexy female moans/screams to download I'll keep my eyes peeled

Not that drastically, lightning & shadows are what takes most of the render time. The sprite size stays the same.
Here a comparison (left old sprite with shadows, right new without):
View attachment 71968
And this is only for the prototyping phase. When I'm happy with the model and animations, then I can let it render in full quality.

Nice, I like them without the shadows, I see you like eastern elves instead of western elves.

If there is anything I can do to help even if it's just offering ideas for the mod let me know and I'll do what I can.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Oh wow! There's a lot done here, you're up to the pinkies!

It's a smart touch to make a unique death for the gore effect, because a lot of high end Doom play revolves around large circle strafes with a rocket launcher.
If you can't find any new sounds, you can always go and pilfer the ones from the sirens .wad. I wonder if the old quake mod he did is around, too. There were lots of sounds in there. Maybe I have it...
Also there's lots of new voice to find. As long as it's non-commercial, I bet you could even get away with using stuff from other games.

Kargan3033

Club Regular

It's a smart touch to make a unique death for the gore effect, because a lot of high end Doom play revolves around large circle strafes with a rocket launcher.
If you can't find any new sounds, you can always go and pilfer the ones from the sirens .wad. I wonder if the old quake mod he did is around, too. There were lots of sounds in there. Maybe I have it...
Also there's lots of new voice to find. As long as it's non-commercial, I bet you could even get away with using stuff from other games.

I had the sirens.wad, who made it and is it still around and what quake mod did this guy do?

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
I had the sirens.wad, who made it and is it still around and what quake mod did this guy do?
I'm actually pretty sure they're gone. They were called Wraithchilde, and now I remember that they actually were not specific on their gender.
Anyway, they did Sirens, a custom campaign for sirens, and a custom mod for quake that took lots of modded in models and did some reskins for damage. I'm pretty sure almost all doom wads got archived, but quake didn't receive the same archival treatment.
Looking around, someone named that did endorse some files on the skyrim nexus in 2018, and did some sprite work for an age of wonders TC in 2015... maybe they're just quiet.
Either way I might have the mod in my backup external. I'd also look around! Sound is very important.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
I'm actually pretty sure they're gone. They were called Wraithchilde, and now I remember that they actually were not specific on their gender.
Anyway, they did Sirens, a custom campaign for sirens, and a custom mod for quake that took lots of modded in models and did some reskins for damage. I'm pretty sure almost all doom wads got archived, but quake didn't receive the same archival treatment.
Looking around, someone named that did endorse some files on the skyrim nexus in 2018, and did some sprite work for an age of wonders TC in 2015... maybe they're just quiet.
Either way I might have the mod in my backup external. I'd also look around! Sound is very important.

Found the sirens wad but not the quake mod, say would you have the quake 2 mod Battle Of The Sexes?, if so would I be able to get it from you?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KeiBree

Master of this Domain
Was just going through the videos/game files of Target Terror... and noticed in the one Slayer posted there's a bunch of .wav's of women zako getting shot. Maybe that would work for you?

MZZ

Content Creator
Well shit, it would be interesting to see if it would work with gzdoom but I made that patch a long time ago on an old computer I no longer have so it is lost to time, a few things I remember about that old mod is faster firing weapons by cunt down on the number of firing animations, replacing the bullet puffs with arch vile flame attack to give a flaming ammo attack and changing the plasma gun to fire a blue health orb that would start firing plasma bolts in a cross pattern.
That sounds totally RAD :D

Pre-Internet, we got our hacks/mods from game magazines.
With an hex editor you could change a byte and make the Shotgun fire as fast as the Chaingun. Making it an absolute murdermachine :D

Ok then even though I don't know where to find some sexy female moans/screams to download I'll keep my eyes peeled

Nice, I like them without the shadows, I see you like eastern elves instead of western elves.

If there is anything I can do to help even if it's just offering ideas for the mod let me know and I'll do what I can.
Playtesting, critiques, resources and ideas are very welcome.

Oh, Sirens.wad, I see you are a man of culture as well ;)
Doomworld still has it, Wraithchild is listed as the author.
The whole "x-rated" wad section is a hilarious time capsule. Good times ;)
If possible, I want to play nice and use citable resources and give credit where possible. Ripping games is always an option for later.
But you are right, sounds make or break the immersion.

The XDeath (Extreeeeme, because 90ies) animations are even necessary,
because otherwise the engine would switch back to the old sprites. Which is horrifying in a completey different way :D
When I got the basics down, I think I can look into additional death animations, so fighting and the "post carnage" floor looks more varied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.