[PC] Unholy Sanctuary (1 Viewer)

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
For the record, the creator is restircting access to the game temporarily because of the number of unauthorized uploads of his work to other sites. As I pointed out in the Quest of Ki thread, this is exactly the kind of thing we want to avoid happening, so make sure you avoid reuploading someone's work without permission, even if it's free, and even if the creator is Japanese, because many of them have a better understanding of English than you might at first believe, or at least good enough to see what's going with their work that shouldn't be.

Also, I'm not sure from my translation of what he said, but it's possible that he's also upset about foreign hotlinking to his own download links? Which would mean the link earlier up on this page. Might be safe to take it down for time being at any rate.

And for the record, the creator said he will lift restrictions when (or if) he sees the other links removed.

Sometimes I wonder how these creators have the brains to make such a project lol...

They put something up ON THE PUBLIC INTERNET, his blog is open to ANYONE and the link is not protected in any way, shape or form.
They put a free project up and then are shocked it gets shared and posted everywhere on the internet.

Also if I made a game I'd be so happy it gets shared around, means a bunch of people get to play it, the only thing I'd hope for is that the people sharing it link back to my own blog (like we do here on this forum).
Also I'm not racist (like many of these creators seem to be) so I wouldn't mind who is downloading it, Japanese or foreign...

K

Kyrieru

That's not the issue here. He's putting his time and effort into a game and providing it for free, to everyone, and the only thing he asked for in return was for people not to upload it in other places. What's so hard about that? It's not a matter of the internet being a public place, it's a matter of respect towards the creator.

Also, if I uploaded a game I'd want to know how many times it's been downloaded, which isn't possible if the links are spread around everywhere. The game being available in other places also means less views for his blog. (and if he has ads..)

Gannes1414

Potential Patron
Awww, I'm so sorry! When I asked for an mf link, I didn't mean to offend the creator or anything--when I clicked the links on his page, I saw one of em was giving me an error, so I thought it was just a glitch or something and I couldn't wait to play, so I asked for a mirror. Didn't mean to offend anybody. Sorry :(

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Well, I am completely incapable of reading Japanese and usually don't bother with attempting to translate it since the majority of the time, it fails to return anything useful anyway. It's not that I don't care about the author's wishes, but at this point do we even know if he's pissed off about foreigners mirroring his game or just other Japanese people? If you give out edicts in a form that obviously can't be understood by everyone, how can you really be all that upset if they're not followed? His reaction would be similar to me banning users here that obviously don't speak English as their first language because they aren't following board rules, which are only posted in English. I'm aware of this and take it into consideration before getting upset or even mildly annoyed. I'm not saying he should post everything in his blog in 50 different languages, but he had to have known English speakers would be interested in his game.

This also doesn't address the fact that trying to download from the link he provided was giving errors the day it was released, and yeah I could have just PM'ed the mirror link to the person having an issue downloading it, it just made sense at the time to post it publicly in case anyone else had issues. I doubt we're on his shit list of foreign assholes stealing his game or anything, but I'll take down the link.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
That's not the issue here. He's putting his time and effort into a game and providing it for free, to everyone, and the only thing he asked for in return was for people not to upload it in other places. What's so hard about that? It's not a matter of the internet being a public place, it's a matter of respect towards the creator.

Also, if I uploaded a game I'd want to know how many times it's been downloaded, which isn't possible if the links are spread around everywhere. The game being available in other places also means less views for his blog. (and if he has ads..)

I misunderstood you, I thought you said he was angry we were sharing his links, which is what I still understand from your post as I just re-read it.

Anyway we didn't upload it to an alternative here as far as I know. We just posted his blog and his link.
I don't see what the big deal is about people uploading to alternatives either, I shall mention again it is the internet. It is not governed by many rules, once you put a free thing onto the internet people may do with it what they like to a limit. They can't modify it without permission still or claim they made it. But once it's into the public domain, people can share and download it as they like.

But still makes no sense to what you said, as he blocked the foreign people downloading it, what's to say the Japanese didn't also upload to alternative links?!?

As far as I can tell he is angry about what you originally said and not that people are simply uploading to alternative download sites ;)

Anyway this is the last post ill make about this here, starting to feel like I'm sidetracking this thread into a debate about this :P

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kyrieru

I was never really talking about what he's doing now to non-japanese speakers, I was just bringing up what reasons he might have for not wanting separate downloads in the first place, and why people should go along with it as a sign of respect.

But what he's doing now makes little sense, since it isn't made very clear to non-Japanese speakers that he doesn't want people uploading the game in other places, yet he's preventing those same people from downloading it because of that.

D

dummy

Hope he wouldn't block us foreigner from downloading the game or that would be totally upset. :lll._.:

noice1

Potential Patron
There are two sides to every argument, and I have to side with a little of each. If something is presented on the Internet as free to download, it's going to be public domain. However, at the request of the creator, to ask that it not be hosted anywhere else seems fair. To compromise, it would be nice if mirrors included an .html for the source and when published anywhere else, like a forum, if the name and/or website was attached.

Basically, by reuploading, a creator is losing face value of his/her work. When you create something for others to enjoy, you generally want feedback and to create something of a supportive fan base. Think about it: if you put up a donation link on your website, how much are you losing by having a huge amount of people who have no idea who you are, where you are on the Internet, and just grabbed your game off a forum like this? This is why I linked the Fairy Fighting thread with the creators blog in Japanese and English, and probably why the guy used his name as the password. It's about recognition, and it's not a lot to ask.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
There are two sides to every argument, and I have to side with a little of each. If something is presented on the Internet as free to download, it's going to be public domain. However, at the request of the creator, to ask that it not be hosted anywhere else seems fair. To compromise, it would be nice if mirrors included an .html for the source and when published anywhere else, like a forum, if the name and/or website was attached.

Basically, by reuploading, a creator is losing face value of his/her work. When you create something for others to enjoy, you generally want feedback and to create something of a supportive fan base. Think about it: if you put up a donation link on your website, how much are you losing by having a huge amount of people who have no idea who you are, where you are on the Internet, and just grabbed your game off a forum like this? This is why I linked the Fairy Fighting thread with the creators blog in Japanese and English, and probably why the guy used his name as the password. It's about recognition, and it's not a lot to ask.

I think the main reason that people uploaded the game on different sites (aside from the language barrier) is that the blog link didn't work for them. A couple of mirrors would have gone a long way to solving this problem. His request was a fair one, but the way he's going about it isn't very fair to everyone else.

Stiltzkinator

Potential Patron
The creator is not personally opposed to foreigners playing his game, and actually took some flak from other Japanese for keeping it open (from what I've heard anyway), but one of the conditions he has mentioned for his game is that he does not want his work reuploaded. This is pretty much a constant rule among all small individual developers, so it's not like he's just doing this to be a jerk.

One of the big problems for developers to have their work reuploaded, esepcially in places on the net that aren't in their native language, is that they lose control of their own work, which can lead to some situations such as copyright infringement without them even knowing, and what they especially fear, censorship. More than a few times, an H-game from a foreign country (usually Japan) gets attention in the west, and it backfires in all kinds of ways back to the country of origin. You might think it's silly, but it's a real fear for them.

Another possible matter, though this is the one I'm not sure on, if you post the link to the download directly, there are a lot of adware type scripts out there that automatically look for such links and can put a lot of train on his bandwidth, which is never a good thing. This is why you almost never see complete links on Japanese image boards and such, instead you get things like:
ttp://www (missing the h) or hxxp://www

All this aside, I don't think this forum in particular is to blame or anything, rather, I think there's a forum or group out there that got a little too carefree with this.

G

Greenmaw

can someone post up a link to the update- its hard to try and find it when you cant understand the language

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
From the last few posts on the dev's blog, it sounds like he's been affected by the earthquake and the nuclear reactor problems. Poor guy. D:

K

Kyrieru

Boss = female body + male voice

lol...wasn't expecting that. Also there doesn't appear to be a finishing move yet. I don't know if there's more, cause I haven't beat the boss yet.

edit: Nope, just the boss.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
A bit unclear but I think d£t and Kyrieru are mentioning that there is indeed a new version. Just got posted yesterday (8th of April)

It now includes a 2nd boss.

His blog also has a save game for stage 2 clear on the same page as the download link.

Download link can be found on his blog, click where it says "UnHolY SaNctuaRy(ジルタスCAは無いのよ版)" and that will give you the pages with the downloads ;)

Also edited my original post of this thread to reflect the recent changes and latest version as well as the authors wishes.
Also added the URL to the latest version of the game onto my original post. (this is the authors URL, just to clarify)

and bah!

None of my old save games work :(

I have to play the entire game over from the save game that he gives which is just after the dinos.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Savegame just before the new boss:
_memory1.actsave

edit:
Dunno if it was already in the previous versions, but now you can teleport a short distance backwards by pressing [SHIFT].

K

Kyrieru

Unholy sanctuary got an update. The boss now has a game over animation, in addition to some other minor changes.

The creator didn't provide a save file, so I've uploaded a save just before the boss.
_memory1.actsave

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.