The Death of Ryona (Following RE7 announcement) :( (1 Viewer)

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
Yesterday was a very sad day for us Ryona lovers and might start a new era where there is zero ryona in gaming , My worst fear had come true and Resident Evil 7 became a First Person game with optional VR play making it the First Major AAA game to do that , If the other companies followed that route an started adapting VR as the future then sadly there will be no more ryona and we will get only 5 types of games and all in First Person View : Call of udty VR Shooter , Mirrors Edge VR Adventure , P.T Horror VR game , A Far Cry Open World WRPG VR type of game and Whatever Tekken 7 will invent in its VR mode that may become the normal after that

Rag40

Swell Supporter
Trust me, I feel your pain. Characters like Jill, Claire, Barry, etc etc is what draws me to RE, not the supposed "scare" factor. Can't believe they are going after the first person horror genre. The reaction of the crowd at the E3 reveal is just hilarious. If they would have ended the trailer with any name other than Resident Evil, the crowd would have simply clapped and no one would have made too big of a deal about the game. But once they slapped the RE name on it, everyone started to cheer like maniacs. People are pretty fucking gullible.

So now we are left with REmake 2 and a potential sequel to The Evil Within, hopefully starring Juli Kidman or even Sabstian's wife, perhaps. Meanwhile there are a ton of games in the vein of what RE7 is going for. I mean, I get that people were upset that we lost out on what PT could have been, but couldn't they have created a new IP rather than kill off 3rd person Resident Evil? I guess this type of game costs a hell of a lot less to produce, so maybe it makes sense for them financially?

Anyway, they are saying that the character we play as in the demo (demo wasn't that great, imo) isn't actually the main character of the main game. So there is a possibility that a character like Jill could be the main character. For Ryona purposes, this still would obviously be a step down from the good old 3rd person RE, but it would at least offer some potential audio files if the voice actress does a good job selling the action. I actually really liked Alien Isolation for this reason (it was also a killer game), but it's still not what I want from a mainline RE game.

If this was Resident Evil: VR and we still had a legit RE7 coming out, I would be perfectly fine with this, maybe even looking forward to it. Instead, I am bitter as hell. Fucking give me a well made, single player game in the vein of RE4 starring Jill and I would be set. But nope, instead we are getting PT Lite.

And yes, I sound like a spoiled little brat over a video game, lol.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
I can't believe people can't tell the difference between "Proper" Resident Evil and "Pure horror" bob-Resident Evil , The Evil within is as close as you can get for a proper Resident Evil while the P.T wannabe called RE7 isn't a proper Resident Evil , I feel bad for the future and all because of VR and add the fact that First person games are cheaper to make

Rag40

Swell Supporter
It's crazy. So we waited 4 years since 6 and we get this? I definitely think they scrapped what RE7 was going to be once they saw the reaction PT got.

I mean, I guess we can also look forward to them continuing the Revelations series, but those seem so low budget. It just feels like a cheap experience when I play them, even though I thought Rev 2 was amazing bang for your buck when you combine the two campaigns plus the Raid mode. Still, both Rev games just scream budget title to me.

As far as VR is concerned, I don't mind if they make VR renditions of popular franchises, but just as long as they aren't replacing the normal titles. This is definitely disturbing to me and I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Oh, and while I wasn't a huge fan of co-op. They basically just gave fans of RE 5 and 6 co-op the shaft. Also, I can only assume we won't get anything resembling a Mercenary/Raid mode in this game. This title just looks like your run of the mill first person horror title. I mean, even if they add a lot of combat, it would resemble the Condemned series more than RE.

Ultimately, I just think they saw the overwhelming reaction to PT and games like it and are trying to capitalize on it. But last I checked, RE5 and 6 still made boat loads of money. But yeah, production values for those two games were probably much higher than what this game's will be.

It's crazy, but I'm not even looking forward to this game at all. At this point it's maybe a rental? I mean, things can change when they release more info, but from the demo and trailer, I am more disgusted than anything else.

carl_fennin

Swell Supporter
I am pretty disappointed that Resident Evil 7 will be a purely First Person view game with VR being optional (thus the reason for the game being in first person). I really wasn't expecting that kind of direction towards that series. Sure, it's been done with spin-offs, but never for a mainline numbered title. I can't say that I'm too excited for it on the ryona enjoyment level. First person view ryona doesn't really do it for me. Alien Isolation just did not hit home for me on that kind of thing... I'm sure it could have the potential to be a good game and maaaaybe a good Resident Evil game, but after all the wonderful ryona potential and material that Resident Evil 6 gave us, it's potentially a steep downfall from a ryona aspect. I doubt it would just cut to third person all of a sudden to the fail/game over states.

Will VR slowly lower the ryona potential ceiling for games as it gets more use in the future? Perhaps. This will mainly affect third person games the most where we want to see the protagonist or playable character to be the victim. For people interested in zako or more involved interests, this is probably a fever dream for them for obvious reasons. I'm more towards seeing playable characters be the victim myself. Of course, game developers are most of the time never developing games with such ideals in mind in the first place. They're always such by happenstance and usually unintentional. It's just what we see from such things that stand out to us and we take it that way (unless you're the development team for Tomb Raider 2013; they seemed to purposefully be into that kind of thing).

It's hard to say if VR will truly bring down ryona content and potential at this point, though. VR is just getting its foot in the door and isn't even close to mainstream yet. Give it about two or three years or so and we'll possibly start seeing if it start affecting the ryona that we may enjoy in our games. There are still plenty of third person games out there for consoles and PC being developed, so they're not going away anytime soon nor will they. Capcom made a very bold decision with Resident Evil 7's direction and I can understand being afraid of where it might go with other developers out there and their decisions. However, there is still Resident Evil Remake 2 in the works and you can bet your ass they won't fuck with that given how many purists are out there for that game. All we can do really is wait and see what happens.

Rag40

Swell Supporter
Yeah, it's almost guaranteed that you will just get first person view deaths. It won't cut to a third person view for the death scenes. Like I said above, the most we can really hope for is some good ryona audio. That probably doesn't help a lot of people, but for me, I like to gather up good ryona sounds so I can then use them in other, moddable games.

But yeah, ryona for this type of game specifically is pretty crappy. I mean, one of the best things about RE is it's amazing looking cast of characters and now you won't be able to see them. Obviously, the writing leaves much to be desired, but I have still grown to love the cast over the last 20 years or so. But yeah, the first person view kind of kills any attempt at having a nice looking main character (male or female, at this point).

Oh well, like you said, REmake 2 should still be cool. Looking forward to hearing more about that.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
What makes me optimistic a little is that Capcom very recently said that they will please all of their fans whether the RE action fans or the old school fans but i hope that their RE action title for the generation is either their new call of umbrella or a low budget game with little death animation like revelations 2 , the new RE7 will sell good around 2M copies but there is no way in hell it would sell like the past RE game in +5M copies because of different reasons so i am sure when Capcom finish their little experimet and the very few vocal minority who wanted a P.T resident evil got what they wanted then i am sure Capcom will balance things more and make a game like The Evil Within , I sadly have a feeling that Remake 2 will be very low budget with very basic hit animations and very basic deaths

We also have Gears of War 4 that is the closest thing to RE5-6 and it will have a playable female character and is full of creatures and monsters so that may fill a little the absence of a proper new Resident Evil

carl_fennin

Swell Supporter
As long as Resident Evil 7 does not go with psychological, paranormal, ghost route of story development, then it should be fine. Resident Evil has always been scientific about its monstrosities and mutated creatures with the fear of biological warfare and terrorist attacks and possible corrupted governmental affiliations. Never once has it ever been involved with the paranormal, mystical creatures or the unknown. All incidents were man-made.

Action or survival focus; either or is fine with me as I have enjoyed each title in the numbered series for what they are. As long as it is thematically appropriate, I think I'll be OK with what Resident Evil 7 brings to the table. Not excited, but not completely against it either. I'm just merely disappointed with ryona possibilities in the game because its in first person and you can only do so much there. Audio ryona I can do, but usually I need some kind of visual element involved for me.

Considering it is a game with VR built around it, you can only imagine what is possible with VR capabilities. This could hinder the game from what could have been something greater with just normal console controls. VR hasn't been fully explored to its fullest and it needs time to develop and grow. I think what Capcom should have done was go with the Final Fantasy XV route in that the VR gameplay isn't centered around it and more like a little bonus you can do within the game. But with the game coming out January of next year, it's hard to say if things will change. And I just hope that Capcom doesn't look at sales numbers to determine what is "hip and now" or their successes and blame the fans for it if it bombs. They took a hard risk here and they should take responsibility for it.

90sSegaFan

Ryonani Teamster
I kinda liked the trailer. It's the game I wanted Silent Hills to be. I also hope that this isn't the death kneel of ryona but on the flip side, imagine fighting games in VR. We could play online with one another and make some videos. That would be pretty cool. Hope is not lost quite yet.

kubi mage

Club Regular
Actually I'm cautiously optimistic about the ryona potential in VR. Granted the ryona will probably have to be on NPCs, but the camera controls should be better than ever.

At any rate it's still a very limited niche thing so rest assured, it isn't replacing traditional gaming.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
Actually I'm cautiously optimistic about the ryona potential in VR. Granted the ryona will probably have to be on NPCs, but the camera controls should be better than ever.

At any rate it's still a very limited niche thing so rest assured, it isn't replacing traditional gaming.

I know that at its current state it won't replace it , but If the current Resident Evil becomes a big success then it will inspire all the companies to do the same , that is what i am fearing for turning all the games into first person games so that it fits with VR

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.