SomeNotes (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Daxter343
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
D

Daxter343

Just some small things that would be helpful for writers to keep in mind when before they release their dialogues to the masses. They are for the benefit of the people who will be downloading and using them.

-When you write a note for how a dialogue should be played, such as "Have her arms on her legs or his legs, but not behind her back" or "Use a happy mood", LEAVE IT AS A NOTE INSIDE YOUR DIALOGUE TEXT FILE. Use this format:
//Use happy mode

-It also might be helpful to include your own username as a note in the dialogue.txt
//Written by Daxter343

-It's a good idea to have a .txt document dedicated to an ideal character you have already made for your dialogue. However, you should also include a copy of the character code within the dialogue document. You also want to mention the separate .txt document in your dialogue
//characterCode:boobsandstuffnumbers
//Refer to DaxterCharacterCode.txt for my ideal character specs

f93

Casual Client
Daxter343 said:
-When you write a note for how a dialogue should be played, such as "Have her arms on her legs or his legs, but not behind her back" or "Use a happy mood", LEAVE IT AS A NOTE INSIDE YOUR DIALOGUE TEXT FILE. Use this format:
//Use happy mode
Okay. Although SDT also ignores any lines beginning with -, so my header comments are usually like:
Code:
-----DIALOGUE NAME----
-'This is a description of the dialogue.'
-charcode for this is charName:Example
-Blah blah boring comments from me that nobody reads

all:"CLEAR"
dialogue_name:"Example dialogue"

-It also might be helpful to include your own username as a note in the dialogue.txt
//Written by Daxter343
I keep forgetting to do this, unless I'm posting an edited version of someone else's dialogue, in which case I credit them. But yeah, could be helpful, as people have reported bugs in my dialogues in entirely different threads before.

-It's a good idea to have a .txt document dedicated to an ideal character you have already made for your dialogue. However, you should also include a copy of the character code within the dialogue document. You also want to mention the separate .txt document in your dialogue
//characterCode:boobsandstuffnumbers
//Refer to DaxterCharacterCode.txt for my ideal character specs
This is something I now have in all dialogues I've posted that had a specific character in mind. I also post the charcodes alongside the description of them in my thread.

It's decent enough advice, really.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
SDT does not ignore any lines starting with -
You can see that easily by putting it in front of your lines.
However, since it became standardized comment style, I have adopted it for the checker to ignore any lines starting with -.

Why is this important?
Well, add this line to your dialogue, then load it in SDT. Now go and view it in the dialogue editor.
-intro:"Hello!" {"mood":"normal"}

You'll probably notice that the dialogue editor is largely empty. No lines, no dialogue, nothing.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
-

There's no real alternative possible...

As for the issue with the line I posted...
intro:"Hello!" {"mood":"normal"}
will kill a dialogue

adding a hypen in front of it won't stop that.
-intro:"Hello!" {"mood":"normal"}
will still kill a dialogue.
I suggest you try it just so you can see what it looks like.

In general, however, try not to use {, }, : or " in a comment line. That should make it easy for SDT to ignore the lines.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
No...
*sigh*

The problem is in the mood attribute.
Setting a non-existing mood attribute requirement will cause SDT to throw an error upon loading the dialogue.
The idea that turning a line into a commentary line by adding a hypen is used to remove dialogue lines from play.
That is, you can have multiple intro lines and disable those that you don't need.
However, this is but an illusion. The lines aren't actually commented - they just have their names changed.
That means you still have to be careful with what you write - a bad mood requirement will still crash the dialogue.

Rudgar

Content Creator
little suggesting hint: I changed to use comment lines as normal dialogue lines with line type "comment", e.g.

comment:"the next line will be called randomly as long as he hasn't deepthroated her."
intro:"You shall not pass!!!"

Maybe someone likes this as well.

Respectfully, Rudgar

Pim_gd

Content Creator
DialogueChecker cannot detect that the comment linetype is a comment and will complain about grammatical mistakes, incorrect substitutions and all that in comment lines. It will also complain that all your comment lines are unused. Wouldn't recommend doing it like that.

Rudgar

Content Creator
DialogueChecker cannot detect that the comment linetype is a comment and will complain about grammatical mistakes, incorrect substitutions and all that in comment lines. It will also complain that all your comment lines are unused. Wouldn't recommend doing it like that.
Sometimes I'm really happy for not using the DialogueChecker :cool: - sorry, Pim :wink:

Very respectfully, Rudgar

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.