Problem with $INIT$ and $RESET$ folders (1 Viewer)

Nyarla

Potential Patron
Hey guys, i'm trying SDT since a few days. I managed to install some mods, to make some custom chars, i modified hairs, backgounds and outfits without any problems. I'm using the character folder method.

However i've tried many ways to place one of my char by default in the init folder, by using the Code.txt file, as explained there:

SDT Newbie Guide

It just doesn't work. Sometimes, the hair, and most of the times, the outfit works, but the game loads SD Chan instead of my char : once i reset, i can't retrieve the hair, and i never get the background. My char is perfectly working, outside of that method with init : i can play with it by selecting it normally in the list.

It's only when i try to put it as the initial char, or when i reset that it doesn't work. I've even reinstalled everything properly in the vanilla state in a clear folder, and it doesn't change anything, so what am i missing there ?

I'm on windows 10, by the way.

stuntcock

Content Creator
once i reset, i can't retrieve the hair, and i never get the background.
That's normal. $INIT$ means "do this stuff once in order to setup the initial state of the game." If you subsequently make changes (such as: changing the girl's skin color, or loading a different hairstyle) then the initial state will be lost. You can revert to the initial state by manually undoing your changes, or by restarting the whole game.

The Reset button will clear the scene and shift the game-state back to a hardcoded "factory default" -- but it does not restore your customized initial state. For example, the post-Reset girl will be light-skinned even if your preference is dark.

You can alter this behavior. For example: you can put a charcode into the $RESET$ folder. Each time that you reset the game, that charcode would automatically be applied to the scene.

As far as I know, most users don't bother to heavily customize their $RESET$ folders. It's generally used as an "oh shit!" button to recover from a screwup. For example: some mods will hide or delete parts of the girl's body and then (due to poor coding) they don't restore those missing bodyparts when the mod is unloaded. That's a case wherein someone might click Reset. It's not as reliable as a true restart ... but it is much faster.

what am i missing there ?
Interference from other $INIT$ mods, probably.

Most SDT users include a set of game-changing mods in their $INIT$ folders (notable examples: animtools and moreclothing by @sby, dialogueActions by @Pim_gd). During initialization, these mods may interrupt the game or significantly alter the composition of the scene. If you attempt to dress up the girl while moreClothing is swapping her through dozens of costumes, then she may not retain your preferred costume at the end of the whole loading process.

The trick here is timing (or "priority" or "order of operations"). If your initialization behavior is inconsistent (i.e. it sometimes works but sometimes doesn't) then that probably indicates a race condition due to incorrect setup. Share the contents of your $INIT$\Mods.txt file and we'll check for any obvious errors. If you want to be thorough, then zip up your whole $INIT$ folder and share that instead.

Nyarla

Potential Patron
Well actually, i didn't change the Mods.txt in $INIT$. I added no mod in my last try (Vanilla reinstall). I think it's just normal, if you can check :

Code:
Default/FinishesCounter.swf
Default/VigourCounter.swf
Default/PleasureCounter.swf
Default/BreathCounter.swf
Default/HeldBreathCounter.swf
Default/CumInMouthCounter.swf
Default/TemplateExtensionV5_sby.swf

I only added a Code.txt, but maybe this file is incorrect, however i simply copy-pasted it from the tutorial and verified it. I tried to modify address for background and hair, but yeah, it's inconsistent.

But thank you, at least i understand better the Reset thing.

stuntcock

Content Creator
I tried to modify address for background and hair, but yeah, it's inconsistent.
That's probably a different issue, related to passive save/load behavior.

<edit: removed some technical stuff here because it may not actually be relevant>

Please ensure that you've configured the paths correctly. After customizing your character (with the appopriate PNG files for hair and background) click the Save Character button and then check whether the game complains about missing files.

Please share your code.txt file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.