Original, unofficial, and/or edited zako? (1 Viewer)

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
I know at least a couple posters on this forum have done custom sprite edits, or other artwork, of some female zako. Some have even had artwork commissioned. So show your original, unofficial, and/or edited zako here. As an example, for a beat-em-up / adventure game I've had in mind for a while, I wanted one of the basic enemy mooks to be a female zako, and while looking for inspiration, I found a sprite sheet of Linda from Double Dragon for Sega Genesis:
linda.png

I decided to work from that to create an original character, and thus Linda became "Biker Bitch":
Biker Bitch Rough Draft2.png
http://kimblis.deviantart.com/#/d58sr8e

Anyone else got original or custom-made zako? This does not have to be pixel art. In fact, more standard forms of artwork are preferable.

Last edited by a moderator:

NNin

Ryonani Teamster
I once edited a Persian knife wielding zako from GameBoy Advance's Scorpion King: Sword of Osiris. The sprite works are surely hard as I expected....

Before
Scorpion King - Sword Of Osiris zako.jpg

After
Scorpion King - Sword Of Osiris edited zako.jpg

KeiBree

Master of this Domain
I role play a lot of the zako style stuff in SL. I'm not huge on using established characters and mostly make my own with some vague theme :) Normally it's something like "Bunny Girl Army", then I use different skins/hairs to play each of the zako that the protagonist (or antagonist) goes through. It's not a fully fledged video game, it's more like playing with dolls I guess if I had to describe it...

Hopefully this is the type of thing you're looking for and I'm not ruining the thread already...

If you like any of them I can take more pictures with a specific suggest theme too ;) Or if anyone is looking to play in second life look me up (Kei Breil). I can help you get started if you're new too!

EDIT: Oh right I forgot, if there's something you want to suggest I can probably make something similar (IE - Bunny Maids with guns). You can get fairly specific, at present count I have over 200 different costumes lol.

Attachments

• Snapshot_003.png
    Snapshot_003.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 638
  • Snapshot_006.png
    Snapshot_006.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 586
  • Snapshot_007.png
    Snapshot_007.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 546
  • Snapshot_008.png
    Snapshot_008.png
    2 MB · Views: 544
  • Snapshot_009.png
    Snapshot_009.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 557
  • Snapshot_010.png
    Snapshot_010.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 588
  • Snapshot_011.png
    Snapshot_011.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 623
  • Snapshot_012.png
    Snapshot_012.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 634
  • Snapshot_013.png
    Snapshot_013.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 493
  • Snapshot_014.png
    Snapshot_014.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 569
  • Snapshot_016.png
    Snapshot_016.png
    1 MB · Views: 757

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
NNin, sprite editing seems to take FOREVER...or maybe it's just me. So what did the knife zako look like before the edit?

KeiBreilSL, that Second Life stuff is awesome. Bunny Girl armies :)
That last screenshot of the soldier girl in boots, beret, and miniskirt was sweet. And I'm pretty sure I saw Poison from Final Fight in there as well. I might have to look into this Second Life stuff. Is it difficult to find/purchase clothing and/or poses?

KeiBree

Master of this Domain
It's really easy once you get used to it (I figured it out :P

Clothing is simple, just right click and "wear". And poses are easy too, just double click and hit play. Most of the people I play with don't have a ton of poses or clothes for their character, as the zako I'm the doing most of the posing. There are two person poses as well, but I only have a few.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Oh yeah, most stuff can be found here (most cost moiney, but if your on a budget there's enough free stuff). https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
Updated Characters

Howdy,

Just thought I would share real quick. I've updated the "Biker Bitch" zako, as well as finished a rough draft of one of the playable, hero characters who will be doing battle with Biker Bitch and all the other baddies. I've also started on a second playable character (a female hero). Comments/critiques are welcome. I've got many more characters to work on, ranging from more playable characters, to bosses, to regular enemies, to more female zako (with completely different designs).

Biker Bitch Final Draft.png Billy Lee Rough Draft.png Untitled2.png

Regarding ryona content, I'm going for a regular style of game that "just happens" to have ryona stuff "incidentally". Meaning, female enemies have some rather suggestive moves they can use on a player (male or female), and players can use some harsh methods to defeat their enemies, male or female...but female characters and enemies will have a somewhat more interesting reaction to pretty much everything, whether they're attacking, or being clobbered, or just standing around idle, or completely defeated and lying on the ground.

Again, comments/critiques are welcome. I could always use some more ideas.

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
Nice work! I can tell you've put a lot of effort into those. They look great. In that third image, I'm guessing that the chick with the mohawk is another zako, and the one in pink is either a zako or playable, right? I look foward to seeing more.

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
Nice work! I can tell you've put a lot of effort into those. They look great. In that third image, I'm guessing that the chick with the mohawk is another zako, and the one in pink is either a zako or playable, right? I look foward to seeing more.

Yep, the one with the mohawk is a zako (still in very early stage of development, based off of Linda from Double Dragon 2 for Arcade) and the one in pink is going to be a playable character (also in very early stages of development). Only frustrating part is that sprite work and editing takes for-friggin-ever!

snakesonaplane

Casual Client
Those are very good sprites and it does look like you have put in some serious thought and effort. How about styling a zako like the ones from Target Renegade? With the short skirts and pumps, the hooker look basically

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
How about styling a zako like the ones from Target Renegade? With the short skirts and pumps, the hooker look basically

I think I could make one like that, especially since I will already have one character in a short skirt (the pink playable character) to use as a template. What were you thinking in terms of size? I remember the zako from Target Renegade being as big or bigger than the player, but then again I've already got one female zako in the game (the biker) who probably weighs almost as much as some male characters. If the skirt zako were the same size as the pink skirt character, I would just need to change colors, faces, and details. But I could make other sizes work too.

snakesonaplane

Casual Client
I think I could make one like that, especially since I will already have one character in a short skirt (the pink playable character) to use as a template. What were you thinking in terms of size? I remember the zako from Target Renegade being as big or bigger than the player, but then again I've already got one female zako in the game (the biker) who probably weighs almost as much as some male characters. If the skirt zako were the same size as the pink skirt character, I would just need to change colors, faces, and details. But I could make other sizes work too.

Yeah the body size of the pink character is fine, just change the boots to pumps. And as you said, colors, faces, hair etc. Would be cool if you could create a zako like that

So how far into developing the game are you? what are you using to make it etc? Tell a bit more about it, sounds pretty good so far

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
So how far into developing the game are you? what are you using to make it etc? Tell a bit more about it, sounds pretty good so far

Still in the early stages. Editing/creating sprites is a long process and there are still many more characters to go.
I was considering using the Beats of Rage engine, and I still may end up using that. However, there are some limitations to what one can do with that engine that are sort of frustrating, so I've been looking for alternatives as well.

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
Yep, the one with the mohawk is a zako (still in very early stage of development, based off of Linda from Double Dragon 2 for Arcade) and the one in pink is going to be a playable character (also in very early stages of development). Only frustrating part is that sprite work and editing takes for-friggin-ever!

Yeah, tell me about it. The worst part (at least for me) is obsessing over the look of the sprites to make sure they look right. Once you do get them right, though, it's pretty rewarding. I'm working on a custom sheet for Tyris Flare right now, possibly for an OpenBOR game, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. The sprites are heavy modifications of Milan Flare from Golden Axe: The Duel. All I have so far is her stance. I won't post it here as it's a zako topic, but I'll have to post it someplace on here.

KeiBree

Master of this Domain
I did some more Second Life ones that people might like. Actually had a couple of friends help so some have two zako's, and some have an attacker!

First up, encounter the first Bunny Zako (are they a bunny army? Bunny Gang? I have some back story ideas...)
Snapshot_017.jpg Snapshot_018.jpg

The Bunny goes for a quick kick... but is easily blocked, leaving her open...
Snapshot_019.jpg

...for a counter attack!
Snapshot_022.jpg

It doesn't take much to knock a zako down...

Snapshot_023.jpg Snapshot_024.jpg Snapshot_025.jpg

... but there's an attack from behind!
Snapshot_026.jpg

That's easily dealt with...
Snapshot_027.jpg Snapshot_028.jpg Snapshot_029.jpg

(I switched to a first person view for the next part)

You move from the left of the street, to the right, coming across two more bunnies!
Snapshot_030.jpg

The first one takes a swing at you while her friend gets ready to move in.

Snapshot_032.jpg

You easily dodge it, and giver her a punch to the face knocking her too the ground as her friend runs in...
Snapshot_033.jpg

Her friend tries a high kick, that you quickly move out of the way of as her friend falls...
Snapshot_034.jpg

You grab her by her hair (Sorry, I don't have hands to put in there :P)

Snapshot_035.jpg

Spinning her around, throwing her to the concrete
Snapshot_036.jpg

Two more knocked out bunnies...
Snapshot_037.jpg

And one more I did quickly:

Snapshot_038.jpg Snapshot_039.jpg Snapshot_040.jpg Snapshot_041.jpg Snapshot_042.jpg Snapshot_043.jpg

That's it for today, I'm open for ideas :) Or you can join me in Second Life!

Kimblis

Ryonani Teamster
Your Second Life custom zako are awesome KeiBreilSL. I love how you set up a little story with each sequence of pics.
I hope you keep going with them. One of these days I'll have to try that game myself.

NNin

Ryonani Teamster
I should post my Petal here too.
She's one of the Ryonani forum's original characters, with a zako career.

Petal (3).jpg YRPetal2.jpg

Still thinking how can I use her. Currently start with some fics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.