New Tomb Raider (1 Viewer)

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
Progression of abilities and powers is pretty much how every game works, no? You can't start off with every power, or it gets boring and you don't feel like you're rewarded.

True, it could just be the way they described it that makes me leery. I don't mind gathering tools and such to access new areas, but the idea that I, for example; may not be able to grab a ledge or shimmy along, that just sounds stupid.
Anyway it's pure speculation and worry on my part: I want this game to be good, I really do, so when I hear "we are doing new things" I worry that it's really: "We are doing stuff we've never tried before."
Anyway, don't mind me or my rambling.

kained

Ryonani Teamster
Progression of abilities and powers is a hallmark of these types of games. In Resident Evil, you pick up stronger guns and ammo as you progress, larget backpack, etc. In the Metroid games, Samus increases her arsenal and abilities as she finds new technology.

The problem in some games is how they go about implimenting this. Take Metroid: Other M. One of my major issues with that game is the idea that Samus only gains new abilities when she is given the order that the use of certain weapons is authorized. To me, this defied logic. There are too many instances in which the ability to use certain weapons would have allowed Samus to progress much faster. There are instances in which her personal safety is at stake simply because of an order not to use certain weapons. She was given the all clear to use these weapons only when it became convenient to the plot. It was ridiculous. Having Samus start off with nothing, and having to actually find upgrades, is much preferred. Even though its been done so many times, it makes so much more sense than Samus putting herself in unnecassary danger because of an irrational order. I think there is also a greater sense of personal achievement when you find upgrades, or earn them after a boss battle.

noice1

Potential Patron
I can see what bryanthunder is saying though, I do find it a little annoying that basic (innate) abilities can be withheld, like jumping or climbing. Take Assassin's Creed: both ancient assassin's you play through the animus have to learn to jump back from an enemy attack and simple disarming, yet they can scale buildings bare-handed, stay concealed in a crowd and execute stealth kills. There is a point when it gets kinda silly of what they expect you to "learn" and what your character should be capable of. Super Metroid is a great progression because Samus has to find every piece of equipment, ditto for any Metal Gear game. Other games involve learning powerful skills or techniques through various ways, but some games are just poorly designed.

archangel

Ryonani Teamster
Current ability progression mechanics are in dire need of obsoleting. From what the magazine said though it kinda sounds like you would have a loadout and equip lara with items that would help her handle certain platforming mechanics(like climbing) and situations better than without. And if you can really go in any direction any way you want like they said it would seem like there would be multiple different paths to something and the challenge would come from deciding the best route to point b based on how you like to go about the island the best, which would be reflected in your loadout.

Certainly would be a very good direction to take for the series now that uncharted has dominated the form of gameplay that tomb raider once was....

G

Greenmaw

Sounds good so far, though i hope they have alternate clothing options available. Would make sense that if its going to be realistic, its gonna be wise to have multiple sets of clothes available to find or unlock.

kained

Ryonani Teamster
New trailer.

Good trailer, even though there's no gameplay footage.

So much ryona potential. Lara looks hotter than ever, and she seems to start the game already half dead.

From a ryona aspect I like that a lot. I love the odds being stacked against a heroine. With the game having a strong focus on survival, I can just picture in my mind her stamina being whittled down continuously as she climbs steep cliffs, avoids traps, and battles wild animals - no rest for the poor girl at all, and the injuries will just keep piling up.

Being able to see the damage to Lara is the best thing they could do for the game!

Now that I have the perversion outta the way, I am looking forward to it from a gameplay standpoint. I'm a big fan of the series, I love the Anniversary edition. It's atmospheric, a good sense of isolation, games that mix exploration, puzzle solving, and platforming are usually excellent in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhlipton

Potential Patron
Looks nice. I hope that there are several "knife to the guts" deaths, especially in that hot white top!

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Figured you guys would be interested in this.

Lots of moaning and screaming. Sounds good!

Last edited by a moderator:

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
i think what should be learned from this is that if you try to help Lara Croft she will crush you with rocks.

this looks interesting, it will be fun to find out what happens if you fail some of those QTEs. on the one hand QTEs are nice because they generally have scripted deaths rather than boring ragdoll stuff, but i hope they are integrated a little better.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Auuugh I can't wait for this game to come out. So badly want to play this and ME3. Thanks for finding the gameplay trailer BL. If there's some actual hand to hand combat in this game, I'm friggin' sold. I might actually buy it for once.

R

RWB1980

watched a demo of the new Tomb Raider,earlier today,looks like real-life,the graphics are breathtakingly amazing,this game won't disappoint in the slightest!

sparky

Ryonani Teamster
Have you guys seen the Catwoman trailer from Arkham City? Good ryona potential in that game too. Her costume gets damaged over time also.

BoRaicho

Ryonani Teamster
This is the Tomb Raider which I meant in one of my older posts. The new and dark episode with mature content was anounced before 3 maybe 4 years, so when Tomb Raider the Guardian of Light came out, i was quite disappointed.

Iam glad that we have a date for the release, unfortunatelly fall 2012 :(

DownFull

Potential Patron
Game play trailers from e3 look fantastic. I've never been much of a fan, but what I've seen so far has really gotten my hopes up for a great game. Looks high quality with considerable ryona content.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
You know what really has me excited for this game (other than the great looking ryona material, of course)? It's a Lara you can actually care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.