New Tomb Raider (1 Viewer)

Cnby

Ryonani Teamster
A new Tomb Raider has been announced today and some details might excite you guys.

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- Crystal Dynamics won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Where did you find all of this information? From Game Informer? I was aware of a new, grittier Lara, but I only found a picture.

Attachments

• tomb_raider_game_informer_cover_art.jpg
    tomb_raider_game_informer_cover_art.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 164

Cnby

Ryonani Teamster
Yeah from gameinformer. It's a summary put together by people who have the magazine.

Ryooo123456

Ryonani Teamster
this sounds soo good :)

i hope it's a total revamp of the series, they kinda of need one to catch up with other game lol

i hope this one has some crazy deaths and no ragdoll. thanks for the info :)

B

blitzrunner

this sounds soo good :)

i hope it's a total revamp of the series, they kinda of need one to catch up with other game lol

i hope this one has some crazy deaths and no ragdoll. thanks for the info :)

a whole new revamp??? that sounds neat! hopefully the gameplay will match up with Drake's Fortune 2...
and thank god they're planning on getting rid of the Rag Doll effects... they're over done in Ryona Style games =P

Ryonation

Potential Patron
I just heard about this game from Roosterteeth's AHWU, and it's great to know this site is already on top of it. Hopefully this game won't disappoint.

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
I swear that there was leaked concept art and info for the game, it was called an action-survival horror game. I recall hearing about this game before even Lara Croft and the Guardians of Light was released; but then nothing else about it so I assumed that it was a squashed rumor.
Man I wish I saved those images; I seem to recall a young Lara holding a golden bow, and another with some horseman riding through the rain... I may have just been crazy; don't mind me.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about the game: A complete reboot could be good, or bad... Though it is strange to reboot the game after it's been rebooted what; twice now?
The gameplay and death sequences haven't been that amazing in the last few games; interactive QTE cut scenes aside (God I love the Trex scene in Anniversary.) I hope the aforementioned knife and rock scene aren't just interactive cut scenes but actually gameplay death animations... the farther they get from the ragdoll crap, the better.

Ryooo123456

Ryonani Teamster
damn, she looks sooo good in those pics :)
i really am lookin forward to it

ps this is my 100th posts :)

noice1

Potential Patron
Thought this series was on the way down. Good to see it's going to get new life but as to how successful/well-received it is, that remains to be seen. Hopefully it becomes hugely popular so we can count on plenty more installments. Can't wait to see some game play vids.

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
I wouldn't count on the game being "hugely popular" again, for the last few installments it's been something more of a niche title. Still, maybe a start-from-scratch approach won't be bad... then again; it could end up like Metriod Other M.
Speaking of Metroid; doesn't some of this sound very... metroidvania?
"As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara’s athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara’s for the taking."
I mean, tools and gear, that makes sense; but "athletic prowess"? that just sounds strange to me; I hope it's nothing stupid like: "You can't run and jump until after you defeat Medusa/The Headless Horsemen/John Doe"
A lot about this game could be new and interesting, but a lot could also be very... strange.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I really hope they focus on hand to hand combat on this one over platforming and "push this box on top of the floor panel to open this door" puzzle solving. Could definitely do with less guns. I'm diggin' the new character design though.

Ryooo123456

Ryonani Teamster
i personally hope it's the "survival" game we all want... hahaha
i know i want animals, people, and nature to attack lara hahaha... or just not feeding her lol
"eat and drink to survive" sounds like what RE5 was supposed to be ...

oh welllll,, guess we must wait :)

kained

Ryonani Teamster
Great scans so far. I think the fact that Lara looks banged up in every pic released is a good indicator in terms of ryona content. It looks like they're going for more realism in terms of what she endures, having to bandage herself up. That's fine by me. Lara is one of my top ryona fantasies, I often picture her enduring hellish conditions in exotic locations without getting any rest.

That aside, I love the Tomb Raider games. My favourite is probably the Anniversary edition. The exploration, the solitude, puzzle solving, all features of a good TR experience.

darkmakozu

Potential Patron
I'm looking forward to this game, sure I have my doubts. From a gameplay standpoint I don't want it becoming too much like Angel of Darkness, and it's been a while since Square put out a good game, hopefully Crystal Dynamics will keep as much creative influence as possible. Out of the more recent ones I found Legend to be the best while Underworld was severely lacking.

noice1

Potential Patron
I wouldn't count on the game being "hugely popular" again, for the last few installments it's been something more of a niche title. Still, maybe a start-from-scratch approach won't be bad... then again; it could end up like Metriod Other M.
Speaking of Metroid; doesn't some of this sound very... metroidvania?
"As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking."
I mean, tools and gear, that makes sense; but "athletic prowess"? that just sounds strange to me; I hope it's nothing stupid like: "You can't run and jump until after you defeat Medusa/The Headless Horsemen/John Doe"
A lot about this game could be new and interesting, but a lot could also be very... strange.

Progression of abilities and powers is pretty much how every game works, no? You can't start off with every power, or it gets boring and you don't feel like you're rewarded.

The upperleft-most picture, is that Lara wrapped up in a cocoon of some kind?

We can only hope. It's possibly some creature, doesn't look like a simple trap. I personally like the lower left, must know how she got into that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.