Need help for publish clothes with Flash. (1 Viewer)

WillySdt

Avid Affiliate
I'm currently working on a costume using faceless mod template.
When I publish the mod, there's something wrong:

If I enable the part as skin, the costume is transparent at the knee;
If I enable the part as a costume, the part is not at the right place (See image below)

LkQHSVz.png

What do I miss??

stuntcock

Content Creator
Bsh17 said:
If I enable the part as skin, the costume is transparent at the knee;
The rightThighCostume layer is masked; it's intended for use with panties (or very short skirts). Try one of these alternatives:

Code:
// This layer is ALSO masked, but the mask is slightly more permissive.  It might suffice.
main.loadManual(thighr, main.her.torso.rightThighBottoms);

// This layer is unmasked, but it's not included in the Vanilla game.  You'll need sby's template extension mod.
// Note: this mod is included in sby's Loader pack, so you PROBABLY already have it.
main.loadManual(thighr, main.her.torso.rightThighBottomsOver);

If I enable the part as a costume, the part is not at the right place (See image below)

This error can be solved fairly easily by moving the artwork so that it fits.

But that's not ideal, because you'll be drawing your pants directly onto the girl's "skin" (kinda like a tattoo). If someone puts a set of underpants on the girl, they'll appear above her cargo pants (because the pants are tattooed onto her skin). Your pants will not be automatically removed if someone loads a different set of pants on top of them. In the extreme case, users might need to restart the entire game in order to make your pants go away.

Faceless' template is very flexible - it allows you to add new limbs to the characters, redraw limbs (e.g. normal thighs → big fat thunder thighs), or include advanced scripting and animation logic for your clothing (e.g. "shirt begins to dissolve when semen lands on it"). For a straightforward clothing project (which yours seems to be), this fancy approach is unnecessary. It would be more practical to package your mod as a Vanilla import. Vanilla imports have several advantages:
  • faster loading
  • can be loaded and unloaded without custom destructor logic (and/or risk of memory leaks)
  • will automatically vanish when a second mod of the same type is loaded (e.g. pants on top of pants)
  • can be loaded via MoreClothing
  • can be recolored with RGB sliders
  • can be enjoyed by users who haven't installed the Loader
  • smaller filesize

If you'd like to switch to a Vanilla import, then just post your FLA file and someone here can take care of it -- it's 5-10 minutes of work at most. You needn't worry if your artwork is unfinished; you'll be able to continue extending and tweaking it (e.g. to add shadowing, or include RGB adjustment) after the converted file is sent back to you.

If you'd prefer to keep your source files private then you can exchange files via PM. If you'd prefer to keep your project as a Loader import then that's not a problem - we can offer technical support either way.

WillySdt

Avid Affiliate
Thanks for your answer. Make vanilla import seems a good alternative but I want to be able to make things on my own. When I have time to work on my clothe, I don't want to wait for someone to convert my file.

For this:
// This layer is ALSO masked, but the mask is slightly more permissive. It might suffice.
main.loadManual(thighr, main.her.torso.rightThighBottoms);

// This layer is unmasked, but it's not included in the Vanilla game. You'll need sby's template extension mod.
// Note: this mod is included in sby's Loader pack, so you PROBABLY already have it.

I,m not sure to understand. I don't see those lines anywhere.

thanks again!

stuntcock

Content Creator
Bsh17 said:
Thanks for your answer. Make vanilla import seems a good alternative but I want to be able to make things on my own. When I have time to work on my clothe, I don't want to wait for someone to convert my file.
Converting the file is a one-time operation; it does not need to be repeated. You could work on the converted FLA file after it's sent back to you (e.g. adding shadows, changing the colors, cropping the waistline into low-rider, etc). You can publish your FLA into a SWF at any time (for in-game testing) without relying on other people; you can similarly release the file when you're happy with its appearance and performance (without waiting for assistance or permission).

The conversion isn't necessary. However, you can look at examples such as Xteam who started off by creating Loader-based mods (e.g. new vagina shapes and group sex animations). Note: this was the correct approach, because his mods needed fancy layering and scripting. He applied the same techniques when he began working on "normal" clothing (e.g. bras and tops) and it worked, even though it wasn't the ideal approach. After spending many hours creating clothing mods, he decided that he wanted to make them compatible with sby's MoreClothing mod -- which meant that many separate FLA files would need to be converted into vanilla imports.

If you "make the switch" early on, then you can use your converted FLA file as the model for future projects. Hence, it's less likely that you'll need to do a mass-conversion operation.

Of course - if you don't really plan on creating more mods (or you aren't worried about MoreClothing compatibility) then you can just keep on doing whatever works for you :)

Faceless

Content Creator
Uh, the code for disabling the thigh mask is right under the code for adding stuff to the thighs in v0.97.2...

stuntcock

Content Creator
Faceless said:
Uh, the code for disabling the thigh mask is right under the code for adding stuff to the thighs in v0.97.2...
Just to be argumentative...

The mask stuff is an "advanced" feature. It's not something that we should expect novice modders to mess with, because it will have a persistent impact on the visual hierarchy of the game (unless the modder writes a custom destructor method -- which they won't, because they're a novice).

In this particular case, the mask-removal code is just a messy workaround for the fact that we're trying to draw stuff on the wrong layer. Here's what happens when we try to draw a pair of shorts (extremely crude artwork because I'm lazy) onto rightThighCostume, disable the mask, and then add a pair of underpants via the in-game UI:

Code:
	thighr = new newthighr();

//adds as costume - ignores HSL sliders on Options tab
	main.loadManual(thighr, main.her.torso.rightThighCostume);

//remove thigh costume mask
	main.her.torso.rightThighCostume.mask = main.her.torso.getChildAt(
		main.her.torso.getChildIndex(main.her.torso.rightThighCostume)-1
	);
	rthighmask = main.her.torso.rightThighCostume.mask;
	main.her.torso.rightThighCostume.mask = null;
	rthighmask.visible = false;

Note that the shorts appear "underneath" the panties.

By contrast, here's the same scenario with rightThighBottomsOver:

Code:
	thighr = new newthighr();

//adds as costume - ignores HSL sliders on Options tab

To reiterate an earlier point: Faceless' Loader-based template is a very powerful tool which allows you to significantly extend and improve the game's artwork. You can cut across the normal categories and restrictions built into the game, and thereby create custom outfits which appear very clean and complete (e.g. no seamlines or cropping shenanigans). This template is ideal if you're creating advanced mods, such as:
  • a complete head-to-toe costume whose parts are not separable or interchangeable (e.g. Evangelion plugsuits)
    • Note: Wyld_Card actually used vanilla techniques for his mods ... but he could have used the Loader template to make the body proportions more slender so that they would match the visual style of NGE
  • clothing items which are smaller than the bodypart that they're meant to cover (e.g. tight-laced corset, toe-pinching boots, compression shorts)
  • a replacement for the HIM model
  • different makeup patterns and effects
  • new pupils, irises, or sclera
  • tattoos which must span several bodyparts without becoming disconnected when the limbs move around
  • visual redesign of limbs (e.g. doll joints, exoskeletal robot arm, catgirl paws)

If you're creating hairstyles, jewelry, or clothing items which are meant to be interchangeable, and if your artwork will fit onto the default body of the SDT girl, then the vanilla import approach will provide better compatibility and fewer headaches. For example, it doesn't require you to understand the difference between "rightThighCostume" and "rightThighBottomsOver", it doesn't ask you to deal with masks, and your mods will always unload cleanly without requiring custom ActionScript code.

WillySdt

Avid Affiliate
Ok, I continue working on my costume and encounter some problems again. So...

What is the easyest way to make clothes. Just want to draw them and make them work. I prefer a way that will be compatible with autohuereg with I'll be able to make transparent each part of the costume separatly (top, bottom...). I was able to do it with my first costume I post on this forum a few month ago but this time it don't work (luck of the beginner I guess... lol).

When I will be confotable with the basics, I'll ask for more.

Thanks!

stuntcock

Content Creator
Bsh17 said:
Ok, I continue working on my costume and encounter some problems again. So...
Post your FLA file and tell us your preference regarding format.
  • if you want to keep it as a Loader-based file then we'll fix the errors and send it back
  • if you want to convert it to a vanilla template file then we'll convert it and send it back
    • note: if you want to add RGB slider support then please say so. Otherwise we'll assume that you intend to rely on autoHueReg exclusively

What is the easyest way to make clothes. Just want to draw them and make them work.
  • start with a working FLA file
    • your Kushina.fla file is good (because it can be published and loaded in-game) but not perfect (it has a few visual flaws, it has no RGB layers, and it lacks shading)
    • admittedly, it's difficult to find download links for FLA files, because SDT modders tend not to share them. This isn't done out of meanness. Rather, modders conceal their FLA files because of the risk that foolish people would download the FLA files instead of the SWFs (and then complain because the FLA files can't be loaded into their SDT game)
    • most modders will share their source files if you ask politely. For example: BrokenToaster has created some very nice pants and skirt mods. He was kind enough to share a FLA file with me so that I could try to animate it (admittedly, that turned out to be very difficult and I still haven't finished it :-[ )
  • make a copy of the file (i.e. don't overwrite the original -- you might need to revert or cross-compare if you run into trouble!)
  • don't make any changes to the ActionScript code, symbol names, etc... until you have some experience with SDT modding
    • some of these are "magic words" -- SDT will not load the mod correctly if its pieces are named or tagged incorrectly
  • just open up the actual shapes (e.g. the front half of the shirt, or the left thigh of a pair of pants)
    • if you're comfortable with Flash then you can import the bodypart shapes and use them as a Guide layer
    • if you're new to Flash then you can simply draw new lines on top of the existing design, and then use the Paint Bucket tool to assign the correct color to each subsection
  • publish the mod into a SWF file
  • load the SWF in-game; check for errors; adjust as needed
  • before publishing your file for a public release, convert your Lines to Fills and merge your layers as much as possible
    • this step will improve performance (FPS), which is important when your mod is used alongside many other performance-intensive mods (such as dynamic hairstyles).
    • this step will also eliminate some visual artifacts and flickering which occurs in your Kushina mod
    • if you're not sure how to do this, just post a copy of your FLA and ask a senior modder to walk you through the process

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.