Near misses and missed opportunities in Ryona! (1 Viewer)

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
Heya all, I thought of a bit of an interesting thread so I thought I would slap it up here and see if I can start a discussion out of this. This is just telling about all the missed opportunities there have been to have good Ryona. From films to computer games, when you see an enemy and feel they could have inflicted some solid Ryona on a female just for them to be destroyed or attack something else or simply not do what they are supposed to do.

I'm a fan of waist constriction, so I always like it when a female is caught by crushing tentacles, snakes, bearhugs or even between the thighs of another woman. Myesh! One game I played which felt like a missed opportunity was Tomb Raider: Underworld, fighting a giant octopus with massive tentacles. Naturally I thought falling into the water might initiate the tentacles to come after Lara, but alas nothing of the such occurred.

God Of War III had great potential for Ryona, with Naga's using their crushing coils to attack and one of the bosses having a deadly bearhug that can crack backs, problem is, the main star is a dude, with no playable women in the game, which to me is a shame Ryona wise. (Decent game at least)

It goes as far back as when I was a young-un, playing Captain America and the Avengers for the Mega-Drive (Genesis). There are enemies that bearhug, giant hands that crush, robotic tentacles that squeeze and thick wires that capture the heroes. Problem is for someone of my tastes, the characters are all men, so I missed out there.

Film wise I was always waiting for the Sentinels in the Matrix to capture some poor woman with their tentacles, I was convinced such a scene would happen in the third film, but alas, all I got was another missed opportunity. I could name a few more examples but I'd like to hear what others have to say on their own ryona tastes and if they really wanted to see something only for it to not happen or to happen to someone else.

It's even worse when you know its happened but the screen cuts off! *spoilers?* In Resident Evil 4, Ada Wong fights the Saddler (was that his name?) There is some decent Waist constriction in the fight from one of the moves Saddler has, but after you defeat him, in a cut scene a tentacle comes from his body and attack Ada. The screen cuts off, and since she wasn't killed but captured, one could assume she may have been squeezed to sleep if it caught her.. which was not shown! :(

Ever been in the same boat as me and encountered near misses of a good potential ryona moment?

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Jeez, haha. I always try to put the disappointments behind me and not to think about them. I'll try to remember a few though since I think this is a good topic.

Bloodrayne 1 and 2 comes to mind. You fought tons of vampires but none of them ever try to bite you. I would have loved to see the female vampires in the 2nd one latch onto Rayne the way she does to her enemies. Also thought the daemites (sp? those weird worm things in the first one) went to waste. The only attack they did was some sort of weird body whip motion at you.

The Tomb Raider series (let's hope 2012 brings a good one). I feel like this series has just had sooo much potential and every time a new one came out, I remember being really excited to see if they added in melee combat. Nope.

Stolen: that really shoddy stealth action/adventure game with the female thief. The guards either shot at you or beat you with nightsticks. Left quite a bit to be desired.

Hydrophobia: I remember seeing a screenshot of it almost 2-3 years ago and hoping it would be really awesome but turned out to just be a XBLA release for $5. Ended up being sort of underwhelmed by it because of my original expectations. Game itself was just mediocre in terms of gameplay and graphics. Voice acting grated the nerves really quickly too.

Jade Empire: Loved playing the game but man did I wish they included throws/holds into the combat system.

Mass Effect: Kind of the same deal with JE, although I understand considering it's a sci-fi shooter, heavy melee combat would be out of place.

Hell, really any third person game where you couldn't be grabbed/held in some way by an opponent was a disappointment for me. >:O There's much, much more but it would take awhile to write all of them out.

nonniemouse

Casual Client
Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but ME3 will feature a "heavy melee attack" for each of the player classes. The art seems to suggest some will use their omnitools in a blade form. It looks pretty awesome. The game still likely won't have much more melee combat than ME2 though (but try playing as a vanguard and charge + melee on lone enemies!).

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
Tomb Raider Underworld was very disappointing. in the first level you meet a giant octopus, and it can slap you with its tentacles but instead of fighting it you just drop something on it. i mean why even have a giant octopus if it can't grab you with its tentacles.

ninjaryona

Potential Patron
Tenchu 4 could have had awesome ryona potential if there was a better fighting style as opposed to the turn-based-you-get-hit-you-die fighting. It also needed better voice acting.

Same goes for the 3rd Birthday. That game needed more grabs since the battle-damage feature is already a nice treat, not to mention Aya's awesome voice.

Snowballs

Ryonani Teamster
I thought Naruto Ninja Storm had a varied cast but not enough exposure to bodies being inflicted with pain; usually most of the 3d renders of the characters would be hidden in puffs of smoke and the KOs fade away too fast.

Bayonetta has a great Game Over screen but I think there was much more opportunities that could have arisen.

Final Fantasy XIII - They don't even get into a KO state anymore, they just kind of fall over and look weak.

TheCrimsonRisk

Ryonani Teamster
A giant octopus in a game with a female heroine is like Chekhov's gun. You've got to do something with it!

This thread got me thinking and the first thing that came to my mind was the Dragonball Z movie Bojack Unbound. It has an sickeningly nasty bearhug in it and if Dragonball Z featured a single female character (j/k) it would be the greatest anime bearhug scene of all time. And before anyone asks, the Videl beating doesn't make up for it.

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
Yah, I remember that bearhug. Would have been pretty epic on a female wouldn't it :(

Wrestling is one of the biggest near misses. The amount of hot female characters they have and I super rarely see a bearhug ever used. I remember when they had some storyline going on years ago with Brock Lesnar harrassing Trish Stratus. I know Brock used to use the bearhug as a signature submission move, so I was thinking maybe he would use it against Trish during the mini storyline they had on the go. No show on that one, should have expected it really, but in such moments we always build ourselves up just to get knocked down hard.

C

crazyman

Disappointing Ryona in video games.

Ever been excited to buy a video game hoping for some great ryona content, only to realize that the game features very little believable animation and two throws per character? I've had this happen to me a number of times and curious what video games disappointed you with the ryona content?

Kakuto Chojin/Back Alley Brutal: Oh my god did this disappoint me, not just with bad gameplay but the ryona content was awful. I mean come on here, when a video game goes out of it's way to brag about how "Brutal" it is with a fancy booklet which had back story on all the characters... Wouldn't it be normal to expect there to be a high variety of throws or finishing moves of sorts? but no, each character had two or three throws with generic attacks. I hated it because the game teases you with it's nice graphics and attractive female models. What gives!?

King of Fighters Maximum Impact: I was so excited when I found out KOF was going to become 3D which would call for more realistic animation. How ever, the models looked great (Mainly Athena) along with her many outfits and again I was teased by the graphics. This time it was the animation that killed it for me, 2D like animation which made games like Kesei Sacred fist(One of my favorite ryona games) put it to shame. I can't express my disappointment when I notice the Clark back breakers looked so bad. No bending of the back or anything it just looked like they replaced the models with 3D models. Yikes!

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Games I've bought only for the ryona have not disappointed me, as I make sure that the game is suitable for my tastes. I've rented some games though that have disappointed me ryona wise.

I rented Stolen one day, and sent it back the first day I got it. Not only is the ryona in that game terrible, but the game is just so bad I couldn't tolerate it.

C

crazyman

That's true, how ever even from an expectancy of a fighting game there should at least be a number of throws. (I should have said fighting games.)

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
I remember buying the SEGA Classics Collection on the PS2 for the 3D remake of Golden Axe. That was a grave mistake. This was a time before I had cable internet, so looking up videos on YouTube or something wasn't possible. So I took the plunge on it and.....bleh. The graphics were terrible, the animations were stiff, and Tyris simply wasn't a turn-on in it. The game itself was atrocious. I traded it in as soon as possible.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Nightshade for the PS2. It looked great at first glance ; you control a female ninja who has special powers, cool moves, and fights a lot of different enemies. Then I played it and realised the moves are extremely limited, the enemies are stupid and have one attack each, and the gameplay is repetitive as heck.

Similarly, Charlie's Angels for the PS2. Again it looked great in theory ; a brawler game featuring three ladies based on a movie which is based on their sex appeal. Little did I know that most internet reviewers consider this one of the worst PS2 games with good reason...

onlinehero

Casual Client
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers. The game had a great idea: half naked sexy woman go against the horde of zombies and other undead creatures and the game was mainly marketed with sex appeal. However, game itself was horrible but also ryona was pathetic. Damn zombies could not even bite the girls and they were so harmless that I honestly felt bad killing them. Most of time they would just stand still and growl like some drunkards, when you got near they would mostly slap you a bit or something.

ajstevus

Ryonani Teamster
Lord, what a list I could make here...and I will. In no particular order:

Bikini Karate Babes 2: Warriors of Elysia - Actually worse than the original, which is quite a feat, considering the decade of time they were working on it.

Tomb Raider Underworld - Removing the QTE events hurt; believe it or not, I liked the variety of ways Lara could game over with the QTE's, and Underworld replaced them with more ragdoll physics. Ugh. Also, I think the Lara model was a step backward from where it had gotten in Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Bullet Witch - A terrible game, and if you're going to sell out and make a sexy heroine, give her more than one generic death animation and just have fun with it! The game took itself too seriously, which is remarkable considering the 10 cent budget they were working with.

Bayonetta - The opposite side of the coin from Bullet Witch. The designers had so much "fun" with the character that she became a complete whore (albeit a whore with a mind-numbingly incomprehensible story). Also, only a few of the enemies had any grab moves, and these were underwhelming. If you're going to give me sexy fetish gear and sado-masochistic villains, make the combat revolve around something other than just slapping at each other Devil May Cry-style.

Golden Axe Beast Rider - So much potential, but it was DOA. I mean, it could have been worse ryona-wise, but it could have been so much better. Why did they get a middle-aged hag to do Tyris's voice-work? Her death-scream was too over-the-top.

Any first-person shooter with a "hot female protagonist" - Really, what's the point? We can't see her. This includes good games like No One Lives Forever, which couldn't quite make up for the terrible POV with it's solid voice-work for Kate Archer.

Any anime/loli themed games - Others will disagree, but it's not my cup of tea. The shame of it is that there are so, so many more of these ryona games than their "realistic" counterparts, and they often have much better production values. This is a case where our infatuation with the Japanese style of art/animation (and admittedly, they are the finest at making ryona-themed games) has saturated the market with big-eyed, small-chested 13 year-olds who shout "gambatte" when attacking and wail "itai!" when you hit them. Please, game developers, let's limit this to just 98% of the market, and triple the number of alternatives.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Bullet Witch - A terrible game, and if you're going to sell out and make a sexy heroine, give her more than one generic death animation and just have fun with it! The game took itself too seriously, which is remarkable considering the 10 cent budget they were working with.

Golden Axe Beast Rider - So much potential, but it was DOA. I mean, it could have been worse ryona-wise, but it could have been so much better. Why did they get a middle-aged hag to do Tyris's voice-work? Her death-scream was too over-the-top.

See, I'm not very picky at all with my ryona in my games (I'm a horny black lion). I actually enjoyed the ryona in these, and really the games themselves. It helps to have a small imagination while playing though.

Snowballs

Ryonani Teamster
Any first-person shooter with a "hot female protagonist" - Really, what's the point? We can't see her. This includes good games like No One Lives Forever, which couldn't quite make up for the terrible POV with it's solid voice-work for Kate Archer.

I miss the Timesplitters series and how each death would be a 3rd person custom animation of your character dying; the various female characters made it great as well. (Might as well film a video later on the weekend)

S

ssdanku

This most recently happened to me with the new WWE '12 wrestling game. I hated that the camera cuts during submission moves I feel its constantly at a horrible angle, I dislike that the camera is farther back from the character models than it was in previous games, and then upon using the highlight reel manual camera i realized that the camera was farther back because the model quality was worse than smack down vs raw 11 they just used a lot of bloom and filter effects to make the models look nicer. I'm not a fan of the new submission system either because in previous games you could kinda let the submission go and watch it for a bit , with the new one you constantly have to mash buttons to keep the submission going or it ends. They also took out the divas ability to sweat as the match goes on, in prevous SvR games as the match would go on the divas would sweat and get tired and they completely took it out of wwe 12.

Now that is being picky, I know they all seem like minor issues but added together it just kinda ruined my love for the game ryona-wise

C

crazyman

Come to think of it, I have some more games to include in this list.

WWE 12: I'm not sure what happened with this one, I didn't really understand how they could possibly screw that up but alas, they did. My biggest problem starting in svr 2010, why did they disable the mixed match ability? I understand the whole "don't harm women message" but come on. This is something we see on TV all the time, not to mention the tiny diva roster makes it rather difficult to make use of the system. The other problem with this system is the C.A.W's when you make a female character you can't make them tone or buff at all. (To dominate the smaller weaker divas.)

Any of the newer Tomb Raiders: Boy has this series lost it's edge over the years. I remember the original death animations being so creative and now...we just have rag doll physics...

Urban Reign - This actually didn't bother me ryona wise, I loved the animations, the grunts and move list. So why is it on here? For one small reason, the outfits. Now don't get me wrong they had some great outfits but I'm a leg person. There were no shorts or skirts to be seen and that really would have completed a nearly perfect ryona game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.