Help with making mods for her (1 Viewer)

noobtastic

Potential Patron
I want to make outfits for her, what I was wondering was is there an easy way to just use someone's outfit that already exists, and just edit that to make something new, and what program I should use to do that.

I know it was said on forums that it can be done with FlashCS/CC but those cost money, are there any free ones I can use?

stuntcock

Content Creator
what program I should use to do that.
You can extract assets (such as vector images) from a SWF file using ffdec.

The extracted SVG artwork can be modified using programs such as Inkscape.

Compiling your work into a usable SDT import requires Flash. You don't necessarily need to use Flash; if your work is good then you can probably find a modder who will be willing to compile it on your behalf. There's a whole thread for creating SWF mods from PSD files; if your files are in SVG format then the conversion is slightly easier.

If you're interested in a limited-time trial of Adobe Edge Animate (aka Flash) then I'd advise you to spend a few days tinkering with Inkscape beforehand. Learn how to deal with Bezier curves, manipulate gradient fills, adjust line thickness, and manage overlapping layers. The Inkscape user environment differs from the Adobe environment, but you'll be able to learn many of the fundamental principles (and a few of the limitations/annoyances) of vector graphics. Your trial time can therefore focus on "how do I publish a Bra mod?" instead of "how do I draw a curve?". If you find the vector stuff to be boring or incomprehensible, then you can skip the Adobe trial and focus on other things (eg. dialogues). If your Adobe trial expires and you're unwilling to subscribe, then you could use your Inkscape experience to vector-trace hairstyles (which is a very useful step in the fulfillment of Requests).

I know it was said on forums that it can be done with FlashCS/CC but those cost money, are there any free ones I can use?
If you're technically proficient then you may be able to use the sdtmill.py technique described by @AdrianMcClean.

just use someone's outfit that already exists, and just edit that to make something new
@fleet would prefer that we always obtain permission from the original author before republishing their work. There are a few authors (such as dantethedarkprince dantethedarkprince ) who have explicitly put their source files into the public domain - in such cases advance permission is not needed. We've usually allowed unauthorized edits to old mods by inactive authors (because it's impossible to get permission from a zombie account), especially when the goal is to improve the mod's appearance, performance, or compatibility.

Regardless of whose work you use, it's always polite to let the author know what you're doing (even if you don't expect them to receive the message) and acknowledge your sources when sharing or publishing the new mods.

If you contact modders in advance then you may discover that they're willing to share their source files with you -- this is much easier than working with the decompiled stuff from ffdec. And veteran modders in general tend to be supportive of novices, so feel free to ask for advice or assistance.

noobtastic

Potential Patron
Well that was a hell of a response. I honestly just expected someone to call off a list of programs that I'd have to sort through myself but you went way in-depth, much appreciated man.

The main reason for specifying "free" and "easy" is because I'm back to Uni in a week, so I won't have alot of time (or money) to do any serious stuff (engineering's a bitch). If I do end up doing mods (right now I've only done positions) I'll make sure I share them and credit the original artists, although most of the ones I was thinking of editing are from Dante's stuff.

Thanks again for that reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.