Hanabi Hyuga (The Last:Naruto the movie) hair (1 Viewer)

nog

Potential Patron
I couldn't quite find a perfect side image that's at least somewhat official, hopefully these are enough.
Since the hair is quite long, I guess that a dynamic version is preferable.
B5MGu1r.jpg

eF205FB.jpg

U18fJx4.jpg

WDzBXAu.png

JoyrSxx.jpg

UqM09Di.png

As an aside, how long should I wait between requests? I can't find anything in the rules about it.
Thanks in advance!

stuntcock

Content Creator
I couldn't quite find a perfect side image that's at least somewhat official
Don't worry about official "artbook" status. You can submit OVA screen-captures, fanart, or even hentai images - the important thing is to provide artists and modders with a usable side-view of the subject.

As an aside, how long should I wait between requests? I can't find anything in the rules about it.
There's no limit. You put post a dozen Requests on one day if you want to, or post three new Requests each Monday, or whatever.

The important thing is to ensure that each Request thread is actionable - it needs to include sufficient reference imagery and a clear description of what you want.

Also - please be sure to Search before posting. If you're asking for a character from a series which already has a thread, then I'll ask you to Reply to the existing thread instead of creating a new one. If you want to post a single thread which asks for several related characters then that's ok - here's a recent example.

nog

Potential Patron
Hmm, I can't find a dedicated Naruto request thread aside from an old costume request, but there are several threads in the Artist Alley and various import forums that include Naruto characters, should I use them instead?
Anyway, I'll see if I can find better images.
Thanks!

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hmm, I can't find a dedicated Naruto request thread aside from an old costume request, but there are several threads in the Artist Alley and various import forums that include Naruto characters, should I use them instead?
No need; this thread is fine.

The most important reason for Searching is to avoid making a duplicate Request. We've seen a few recent examples (1 2). Such threads may be created in good faith - and they may involve care and effort by the poster involved (e.g. in finding reference images) but it still ends up being a waste of time for the people involved.

Artists like @Mineur sometimes deliberately create duplicate hairstyles - in order to "put their own spin" on a character. That's the artist's decision to make, and it can be helpful for users (because they get more options -- check out <Rukia Kuchiki>). We generally expect forum members to avoid asking for duplicates. If an existing item is poorly made, or if it's missing important details, then you can create a thread on the Revision board which identifies the existing item and describes the changes that you'd like to see.

If a character's costume, hairstyle, or appearance has changed significantly (e.g. due to a timeskip) then it wouldn't be a "Revision" anymore - you can just create a new Request thread in such cases.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Since the hair is quite long, I guess that a dynamic version is preferable.
The issue here is that dynamic animation involves a significant amount of extra work.
I prefer to focus such work on hairstyles which possess at least one of the following qualities:
  • complex physics
    • spiral curls, gravity-defying spikes, ties or clasps which generate tension on specific hair strands, "messy" designs in which hair strands may twist or slide across each other during motion, feathered or layered hairstyles which require motion in order to reveal all of the details, etc...
  • significant artistic detail
    • if I feel that an artist has put a lot of creativity into drawing a design (or a fan has put a lot of effort into tracing a reference image) then I'm more likely to reciprocate -- by putting my own effort into animating it
The Hanabi design seems fairly simple in terms of physics. Some of the reference images show a pleasant sheen ... but we have only one actual side-view reference. That image exhibits several flaws:

VUmrszl.png
The sidelocks are draped across the front of the torso. There's nothing within the scene which would plausibly hold them in such a position or cause them to return to this position when disturbed. It's conceivable that this design could work with a "pampered princess" archetype - a character who avoids physical exertion and constrains her movements in order to maintain her perfect coiffure. But your reference images clearly show that the character is active and energetic.

So we're forced to either animate the strand with a high rigidity coefficient (so that it re-creates the rest position shown in the reference image) or deviate from the design by allowing the strand to rest near the shoulder.

yHtEKuI.png
We should be able to see dark outlines of hair strands within the rear mass of hair. But we can't, because the original scene was poorly lit (the entire image has a limited dynamic range, and Hanabi's hair even moreso) and video compression has blurred out some of the subtle details.

Someone attempting to mod this hairstyle would basically need to re-draw the strand edges from scratch.

eyV4ALz.png

The rear section of hair is just a big brown blob. We can't do anything interesting with it (animation-wise) because there's no available contrast. When a brown hair strand slides in front of another brown hair strand, the viewer won't notice any change. The animator would need to either draw in extra details (so that minor animation effects would be visible), or simply half-ass the animation parameters (e.g. rig the entire rear section as a single co-moving segment).

nog

Potential Patron
I don't think I can find much better than I already have... I hoped that the other images could be used to fill the extra details.
Well if that's the case, is a static hair possible?

stuntcock

Content Creator
I don't think I can find much better than I already have... I hoped that the other images could be used to fill the extra details.
They can. This involves extra work for the artist. If an artist has to choose between your Request (with composite imagery) and another (which includes a perfect traceable image) then they'll probably opt for the latter. So you may end up waiting for a long time.
Well if that's the case, is a static hair possible?
Yes, but there are challenges:
  • the darkness and lossy compression of the reference image prevent the hairstyle from being directly traced; the artist must improvise some additional details
  • the ponytail will probably need to be skewed away from the body (to prevent it from clipping into her torso as soon as she raises her chin)
  • the sidelocks will probably need to the moved and/or shortened (so that they don't float in mid-air when she raises her chin)
The thread will remain open. If you can find new fanart (or a high-quality screen capture) then go ahead and post it. There's always a possibility that an artist will spontaneously volunteer to work on this project, or that another Undertow user will post a perfect reference image. If you're really committed to this character then you can always vector-trace your reference image and ask a modder to convert it to an SWF (which is a five-minute task).

I wouldn't advise you to get your hopes up here, but feel free to post other Request threads (which may be more promising/successful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.