Getting Around Checks with Comparisons (1 Viewer)

aztlan

Casual Client
Any ideas how to avoid a check if you want to use a comparisons (especially > or < )to drive line choices. For example if I have a variable X which periodically increases or decreases (and is unbounded) and I want a line to play only when X > 6, is there a way to do this while avoiding using a check (and thus avoiding paying the associated performance costs checks impose)?

Where X is unbound and only takes on a few discrete values (say 1, 2 or 3), it's easy enough to do
line:"[line*X*]"
line1:"blah"
line2:"blah, blah"
line3:"blah, blah"
or whatever. But if X is unbounded and can take on any value then this strategy will not work.

(My current work-around is to tightly constrain the possible values of X but this is limiting and requires greater precision in creating the dialogue).

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Can you please show a concrete example of what you want to do, it will be easier to find a solution.
Show how you change the value of X and what you want to use it for (not "blah, blah" if possible).

Pim_gd

Content Creator
DialogueActions has what you need. You can use *x > 6* in a dialogue line and it will insert 1 if true, 0 if false.

aztlan

Casual Client
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for - I didn't know (or now that I recall just plain old forgot) that DA (or Variables Arithmetic?) could be used this way. Great.

As for the concrete example - I'm not sure yet. I often tend to write my dialogues to incorporate new features and see what can new things are possible with new tools that Pim_gd and others create. (Unfortunately I seem to enjoy tinkering with dialogues and exploring new features more than actually finishing dialogues and producing anything workable. But this time will be different ... Hmm maybe not, if past experience is any guide to future performance...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.