Flowers of War (Discussion Thread) (1 Viewer)

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
I'm doing good and will have some more time to catch back up on things.

A picture I'm working on will be a group of imperials fighting a huge slime monster (and loosing). The style might be a tad cartoony as they are going to be more chibi looking than how I normally draw. It will be the most adorable carnage ever! They will be realistic enough to show what their outfits will look like. Their armor is very light so some may be in skimpier outfits because fighting monsters often relies on mobility. Armor is pointless against certain monsters such as slime. There will be some famous battle where they lost horribly as a result of wearing too heavy of armor. An expensive mistake they won't repeat any time soon.

I forgot if I mentioned this, but there will also be other races such as catgirls. More fantasy unrealistic stuff and monsters will be a much larger focus in the reboot with different abilities that can lead to various ryona situations. Maea will be very common so even generic soldiers will have powers to help them fight. They still loose quite often though. XD The flower whatever inside them can grow greatly in power so the more powerful ones can still wipe the floor with them as if they didn't have maea at all.

I'm trying to come up with a good reason why they'd be intent on fighting the monsters, sending out tons of war parties into the wilderness in order to do so. One obvious reason is that they are attacking the monsters before the monsters attack the villages. However, I would think it would be better to just get defensive fortifications set up rather than going bravely onto the attack. I'll have to ponder better reasons.

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
Or it can be racial reasons or for bounty.

The monsters would have to be sentient for racial issues to make sense (I don't imagine people would be racist against dogs, for example), but I think a lot of the monsters would indeed be sentient to certain extents. I won't have that the main issue, but they will obviously look down on the monster quite a bit. I'm also planning on it being maea related.

puca

Club Regular
Ohh, maybe the monsters incubate Maea! Killing stronger monsters means harvesting more potent Maea!

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
I'm thinking the monsters eat the maea flowers so that's why their bodies are infused with it. The flowers aren't exactly rare, but they're hard to get to sometimes as a result. I bet the monsters love eating the diviners, as they'd taste like the flowers. XD

This could provide good motivation for the empress to take a lot of the land. The other kingdoms were ineffective at keeping the monsters away, so the monsters would have grown far too powerful without fighting a united empire with control over all the land. The kingdoms are kind of selfish in wanting control over their own land even if they're doing a horrible job.

puca

Club Regular
I'm thinking the monsters eat the maea flowers so that's why their bodies are infused with it. The flowers aren't exactly rare, but they're hard to get to sometimes as a result. I bet the monsters love eating the diviners, as they'd taste like the flowers. XD

This could provide good motivation for the empress to take a lot of the land. The other kingdoms were ineffective at keeping the monsters away, so the monsters would have grown far too powerful without fighting a united empire with control over all the land. The kingdoms are kind of selfish in wanting control over their own land even if they're doing a horrible job.

I like it! I appreciate the thought you put into the politics of the setting.

Hey Puca, can Jade and Altheira enter a lesbian relationship?

Sure! I imagine it's pretty common in this setting due to the amount of women.

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
Here's an image for the standard imperial soldier uniform. Unlike my previous design I'm really happy with this one and don't see it changing a whole lot. I tried drawing the action scene of them fighting the slime monster but it's hard to do all the action so it will take a while.

standard_imperial_soldier_uniform_by_shaderjaw-damsfht.jpg

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
Could be sleeveless but it's good. Can you do one of the Imperial general?
Some armor could be missing pieces such as the pauldrons. The most likely explanation is that it was damaged and the military doesn't want to buy a replacement.

I'll do the general and two elite guards flanking her.

Mentos

Club Regular
Loving the drawing! We've got things moving out of the castle now. Wondered if you had any suggestions for what happens next?

SecretIdentity

Casual Client
Loving the drawing! We've got things moving out of the castle now. Wondered if you had any suggestions for what happens next?
I think it would be good for them to hide outside of the city in some forest or perhaps simply in a house, nursing their wounds/resting/socializing etc for a bit. Perhaps hint at romance and also introduce my characters to the group.

If we go with the house then perhaps my character guards the homeowner who is a secret member of the rebels. He can realize what happened and usher them in before soldiers run in and fine them.

Edit: Find, not fine. They aren't that generous with traitors. That did give me an idea for a funny parody of something where the bad guy says, "now that I have you right where I want you...pay us 20 gold for damages!"

Edit: Oh wait, that's practically what happens in Skyrim, although for gameplay reasons rather than laughs. The justice system in that game is so messed up.

Let's indeed go with the "hideout in a home owned by a secret rebel" plotline. I'll introduce my guy when you start moving down the streets and perhaps get a good chase scene in bringing them to that location. My guy will be kind of respected so won't be questioned besides maybe a few fringe people, but that won't be enough to allow them to storm inside his house so we should be safe for a while. After getting to know each other better we can go out on smaller missions with goals to build up our forces to get better odds of killing the queen at a later date.

Last edited:

Mentos

Club Regular
Sorry for the late update! I think I've set things up for you to come in and make your entrance!

puca

Club Regular
Finally have some free time, so I'll be posting soon.

Love Melody and the world building you're doing Mentos! I'll have Altheira wake up in a bit, and I'm planning to have a little bit of Fenria (she's so fun). I've also got a new Heryth character I want to introduce at some point.

Excited to see where this goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.