.fla mods? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ridearcher99
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
R

ridearcher99

I can't seem to figure out how to use the mods that end with .fla in the game.... All I can get to work is the .swf ones. I can't import the .fla mods when I click the "swf mods" button (probably the problem), but I'm not sure where else to import the .fla. Can anyone help point out what I am doing wrong?

stuntcock

Content Creator
I can't seem to figure out how to use the mods that end with .fla in the game....
tl;dr: you're not doing anything wrong. You can't use that file. Look for an SWF file instead.

-------------------------​

An .fla file is a source rather than a product. It's something created by a Flash modder, intended to be used by other Flash modders.

An FLA file can usually be compiled into a ready-to-use SWF, but this isn't always true. Modders will sometimes share incomplete files -- because they're seeking input on a work-in-progress, or because they've abandoned a project and they're inviting others to finish it, or because the file contains useful tutorial or template guides (example).

If you're discovered an obscure FLA file then you can contact a Flash modder (i.e. anyone who has created a thread here) for assistance. In most cases, there will already be a SWF file which corresponds to your SWF. This is true for the works of @dantethedarkprince (who released a giant FLA collection).

P.S. You'll occasionally discover files which carry the .mod file extension (example). These are just SWF files which have been manually renamed. They can be used with the SDT Loader (which will automatically recognize the mod extension) but not with the vanilla SDT game. The special extension is intended to "protect" vanilla users from accidentally opening a file which they can't actually use.

If you'd like more background information about SDT mods and how to use them, then please take a look at the Newbie Guide.

Verynoobthx

Potential Patron
tl;dr: you're not doing anything wrong. You can't use that file. Look for an SWF file instead.

-------------------------​

An .fla file is a source rather than a product. It's something created by a Flash modder, intended to be used by other Flash modders.

An FLA file can usually be compiled into a ready-to-use SWF, but this isn't always true. Modders will sometimes share incomplete files -- because they're seeking input on a work-in-progress, or because they've abandoned a project and they're inviting others to finish it, or because the file contains useful tutorial or template guides (example).

If you're discovered an obscure FLA file then you can contact a Flash modder (i.e. anyone who has created a thread here) for assistance. In most cases, there will already be a SWF file which corresponds to your SWF. This is true for the works of @dantethedarkprince (who released a giant FLA collection).

P.S. You'll occasionally discover files which carry the .mod file extension (example). These are just SWF files which have been manually renamed. They can be used with the SDT Loader (which will automatically recognize the mod extension) but not with the vanilla SDT game. The special extension is intended to "protect" vanilla users from accidentally opening a file which they can't actually use.

If you'd like more background information about SDT mods and how to use them, then please take a look at the Newbie Guide.

So what are you supposed to do with the .fla files? Why did dante release a large collection? Was it for fellow modders to tinker with?

Sharklasers

Content Creator
So what are you supposed to do with the .fla files? Why did dante release a large collection? Was it for fellow modders to tinker with?
Yep. That's why he didn't release them until he was leaving. It's like an artist not publishing his sketchbook until he's sure he won't use any of it.

cheezeebred

Potential Patron
So I tried making some tweaks to some costumes in Dante's FLA collection, but I can't publish it as a SWF file. I figured I just messed up on some of my editing, but it doesn't even work if I try to convert an untouched FLA fle. The error I get is
"Symbol 'Body Template', Layer 'Settings', Frame 1, Line 10, Column 22 1120: Access of undefined property ModTypes."

It's like this for all his files I've tried. What am I doing wrong? I know Dante released these files for all of us who want to play with them and make tweaks, so I know it was his intention to have this working.

stuntcock

Content Creator
The error I get is
"Symbol 'Body Template', Layer 'Settings', Frame 1, Line 10, Column 22 1120: Access of undefined property ModTypes."
The FLA file "expects" to be in a particular working folder. Whichever folder contains the FLA files should also contain a subfolder named SDTMods (within which there should be three *.as files).

You can find this material in the SDTModding.zip package, available here.

If you've repeatedly opened and saved any of the FLA files then they may have become misconfigured due to the missing files. Under the main menu, choose [File] > [ActionScript Properties]. The topmost field (Document class) should be set to "SDTMods.ModPackage" (without the quotation marks). You can then click the adjacent checkbox and you should receive an acknowledgement message.

Once that's all sorted out, you should be able to publish the mod. Of course, it's possible that you may have inadvertently introduced new errors while attempting to troubleshoot the first error ... so it might be wise to simply revert any changes and start over with the original Dante files :)

cheezeebred

Potential Patron
Oh shit that worked perfectly! Thanks again stuntcock :D This modding is getting addicting, now if only I could create my own from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.