First Hair Import: Monster Princess Do-s from One Punch Man (1 Viewer)

Sentinel

Potential Patron
Hi All,
This is my first attempt at a hair import, Monster Princess Do-s from the OPM manga redraw. It's my first attempt at a hair import so any feedback is appreciated - if anyone's interested I could do a black version since the manga obviously doesn't specify.

Preview: Dos.JPG
DosHair.png: DosHair.png

It's been a long time since I used Flash but I may attempt to make the Do-s costume as well.
Sentinel

stuntcock

Content Creator
It's my first attempt at a hair import so any feedback is appreciated
  1. If you're a part-time artist who tends to create specific items rather than entire rosters of characters, then it may be worthwhile to use the Resource Manager.
    • Users may have difficulty finding your thread among the hundreds of Imports threads. A new user is likely to discover the more prolific modders like @dantethedarkprince and @Faceless -- because their work is frequently hyperlinked. Other artists are sometimes overlooked -- to the point that people will Request things which already exist.
    • An item posted to the Resource Manager is slightly easier to discover because it benefits from Tag association. Someone could reach it via <blonde hair>, <monster girl>, <one punch man>, etc.
    • You can still maintain a thread, as a way of gathering feedback or taking requests. Or you can simply ignore the Resource Manager altogether (it isn't mandatory) and just publish your work via forum attachments in your own thread.
  2. Talk to Mineur Mineur .
    • There's no harm in using one of his hair files as a reference, but it would be polite to let him know about it (and to acknowledge the source when you publish your own work).
    • He may also be willing to share his original PSD source files, which would allow you to create a slightly higher-fidelity product. Your PNG file shows a bit of aliasing at the moment, presumably due to the mixture of original lines, recoloring, reshading, redrawn lines, etc.
  3. We could try to implement the facemask as a GAG item instead of including it as part of the hairstyle.
    • There's no real reason to do this. The existing implementation looks fine, and converting it to a SWF import would just involve a bit of extra work to achieve the exact same appearance.
    • But ... if you've found the the combined hair+facemask approach is causing difficulty (or limiting your flexibility, or whatever) then the GAG option is always available.
    • There's one minor advantage: separating the facemask from the hairstyle would allow users to recolor the mask while leaving the hair color unchanged (or re-tint the hair without altering the mask).
  4. Good work on the ears.
    • Many new artists make mistakes with the hair layering (or spacing) around the ears, but you've done it correctly.

Mineur

Content Creator

Sentinel

Potential Patron
Thanks to stuntcock stuntcock for the information, as I mentioned it's been a long time since I worked in Flash but porting the gag to an .swf would be useful for the recolor as you mentioned.
Sincerest apologies to Mineur Mineur , I wasn't sure what the general policy was on referencing other artists work. I'm more of an object drawer and hair is not my forte, it was more of a recolor as a placeholder while I worked on the mask. I would be happy to change the flower and the hair - the braid in itself was the main part I was having difficulty finding, and as a creator with so many uploads I found you had lots of great sources of reference.

Mineur

Content Creator
Sincerest apologies to Mineur Mineur , I wasn't sure what the general policy was on referencing other artists work. I'm more of an object drawer and hair is not my forte, it was more of a recolor as a placeholder while I worked on the mask. I would be happy to change the flower and the hair - the braid in itself was the main part I was having difficulty finding, and as a creator with so many uploads I found you had lots of great sources of reference.

Its cool dude. I think you would get the hang of it in no time with drawings hair too, you can ask me for feedback too if you want.
In my experience braids and ringlet curl hairstyles are kinda the hardest to get right but usually if you just fiddle around with the linework for a bit you'll get it atleast decently looking after a little bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.