[PC] Earth Gaiden 3 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter shadowman
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
S

shadowman

Raden edit: Don't link to full games, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Oh, I totally forgot that I wanted to present this game here.

Official homepage: Æ’AÂ[Æ’XÅ O"`"¡VÂ@ŒöŽ®ƒTÆ’CÆ’g
Wiki: ã"šÂ¢Ã£Æ’¼ã"šÂ¹Ã¥Â¤-ä¼Âï¼"æ"ȍ-Â¥ wiki - トッãƒ-ペーã"šÂ¸
Wiki: translate.google --- http://www15.atwiki.jp/earth_iii/

The game is a sideways scrolling beat-em-up, you walk around with your character and optional a pet to support you in combat. From what I've seen so far most enemies can grab you in some way, e.g. a gnat can position itself at your side, sting you and leech some blood.

Controls:

Arrow Keys= Moving
Z = Attack/Accept (press multiple times for a combo)
X = Power Attack/Cancel (hold down to charge up your Power Attack)
C = Block
V = Jump/Escape a hold/Quick recovery
Shift = Menu
ESC = Skip Dialog
Block -> Attack = Drink Healing Potion
Attack -> Jump = Summon "Cloud" (no idea what it does)

If you start the game you'll play a girl for a short while, but you'll lose the first fight. Afterwards you'll play a male until you unlock another character.
The girl in the upper right in the home town can Heal you, Change your character, change your companion or exit (in that order); you can dismiss your companion anytime with the last item under Item in the Menu (the one with the red cross). The other girl is a merchant, she sells healing potions, antidote potions, weapons, armor and can train you new abilites/skills.
In the status menu you can change your Power Attack, though choices are very limited when you still have a low level.
If you go back to town or save the game all mosters will reappear.

I've got it to work with Ryonani XP.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
hmm got it to work too no problem in Ryonani XP, i do wonder however how you unlock the other characters... and what kind of content is in the game except for just fighting :)

*edit* I figured out how to unlock other characters, first of all you have to find them in the woods, i went up then right and kept looking there till a dead end and then I found a female character.

She can be unlocked with 300 bonus points (i think you get that just by killing? not sure? I have 209 right now, so when I play later ill see if i can't unlock her)

B

Bakadorable

>Now I say 'Appears to be' because I can't get the damn thing to work. I keep getting a runtime 429 error. Anyway, here's the game. I hope one of those of you who gets it to work will share how :)

I got this working, without Ryonani XP in my Windows 7 67-bit by firstly downloading "dx8vb.dll" file, somewhere off the internet and after that you basically need to put it, depending on your version, to an specified folder, for 32-bit you need to put it inside your C:\Windows\System32 folder, while on 64-bit you need to put it inside your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
After you have managed to do that, you need to run cmd, command prompt and register that file, simply by writing "regsvvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dx8vb.dll" without the quotes of course, and this one is for the 64-bit.
For 32-bit version I think it should just be "regsvvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll"
And there, the dx8vb, which is required for this game should be registered and you should be able to run the game now.

Also, I uploaded the dx8vb.dll, Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: dx8vb.dll

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Can you upload a couple of pictures so others can have a better understanding of what you're talking about?

I know we've got two other threads about this game somewhere, but I'm glad we finally have a link to it.

S

shadowman

Ok, so I got The XP program running. Now how do I add/ run Earth iii with it?

Edit: I got it.

chromo1418

Potential Patron
Could somenone please post, how to register this dx8vb.dll und Win 7 32Bit? cleared.

But now i get the Message "Runtime error 429". What can i do against it?

please help

sickle

Potential Patron
This looks absolutely awesome. Great find!
I hope I can manage to make it run.

EDIT: Excellent instructions, worked right away, Windows 7 32 bit.

potato

Potential Patron
@chromo1418: did you try using ryonani XP? i had the same error message as you, but did just fine with it.

btw, thanks for the link to ryonani xp and all the info on the game, someone92!

now i just need to figure out how to delay the fade-out after game over! does anyone know it?

thanks!!

*edit*
about the delay, there's a explanation on how to do it on the wiki. you just need to create a file named ryona.txt on the EAR folder, with

YES

written on the first line of the .txt.

chromo1418

Potential Patron
@chromo1418: did you try using ryonani XP? i had the same error message as you, but did just fine with it.

btw, thanks for the link to ryonani xp and all the info on the game, someone92!

now i just need to figure out how to delay the fade-out after game over! does anyone know it?

thanks!!

When i try to use Ryonani XP, then i need alone about 3-5 min to start it. -.-
So there is no chance for that.

Ryonassault

Ryonani Teamster
Hmm I get "Unpacking Error 1: Currupted Setup File!" after I unzip it and try to run the setup file....

Windows Vista 64-bit currently in US settings, not Japanese uniccode

I get the same thing when I redownloaded the file on a different machine running Windows 7 32bit.

I also get weird errors when I try to go the dx8vb.dll method mentioned above. Like it says it has loaded that but the server couldn't do something.

S

shadowman

about the delay, there's a explanation on how to do it on the wiki. you just need to create a file named ryona.txt on the EAR folder, with

YES

written on the first line of the .txt.

I tried this but to no avail. If I understood you right, You make a txt document named ryona, write yes in the file and put it in the ear folder? I did this but blah :(

cybeast

Potential Patron
>Now I say 'Appears to be' because I can't get the damn thing to work. I keep getting a runtime 429 error. Anyway, here's the game. I hope one of those of you who gets it to work will share how :)

I got this working, without Ryonani XP in my Windows 7 67-bit by firstly downloading "dx8vb.dll" file, somewhere off the internet and after that you basically need to put it, depending on your version, to an specified folder, for 32-bit you need to put it inside your C:\Windows\System32 folder, while on 64-bit you need to put it inside your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
After you have managed to do that, you need to run cmd, command prompt and register that file, simply by writing "regsvvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dx8vb.dll" without the quotes of course, and this one is for the 64-bit.
For 32-bit version I think it should just be "regsvvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll"
And there, the dx8vb, which is required for this game should be registered and you should be able to run the game now.

Also, I uploaded the dx8vb.dll, Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: dx8vb.dll

it should be regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dx8vb.dll, you typed too much v :D

also anyone can give me save file with unlocked character? I only want the black haired girl (you played at first), and the yellow-haired with side ponytail T.T

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
I tried this but to no avail. If I understood you right, You make a txt document named ryona, write yes in the file and put it in the ear folder? I did this but blah :(
Check under Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types", then check if you might have accidently named your file "ryona.txt.txt".

potato

Potential Patron
maybe it has to be "YES" and not "yes"?

anyway, just to be sure i made myself clear: this is to extend the time when your character still gets attacked after your HP drops to zero. this ryona.txt file extends that time, so you won't get a fade-out until you press a button.

don't know if it'll help, but here's a screenshot:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7794/earthproject.jpg

@cybeast:
if you want, i got to the part i unlocked that yellow-haired character, but she's just level 1 and, for some reason i don't know, her level just doesn't go above it; i kill lots of enemies and her exp is still zero. anyone knows if this is a bug or if i have to do something in-game to change it?
anyway, if you want the file, i can upload it. though i don't know which file is the save, so i'd probably upload the entire folder -__-'

Mebius

Potential Patron
Semi-necropost for another of my random mini-reviews. This one's pretty ranty, but potentially entertaining and possibly even helpful.

This game seems to be about walking around and fighting monsters. There's fighting. And there's monsters. And fighting. And some monsters. And some fighting. Oh, sometimes the monsters will drop an item. But then it's more fighting. Sometimes you'll unlock a character. But then it's more fighting. Sometimes the background you're fighting on will be different. Sometimes you'll find a pit or spike 'trap' you have to walk around as you fight. Sometimes you'll have to fight in water instead of on land, which is annoying as hell because the characters in this game are so hindered by ankle-deep water that they may as well be fighting in a tar pit. Sometimes you'll find a boss (which you have to fight). But then it's just more fighting. There seems to be a lot of variation to the enemies in the beginning, but you'll be seeing so many copies of the same enemies, palette swapped or otherwise, that they get old really fast. And every single character you unlock is level one, which means more fighting to gain levels if you want to switch characters. Partners are the same way, but if you're like me you just disabled them since they knock enemies around while you're trying to put the beat on them, which is already difficult enough with the terrible range of the initial fist-fighting male character (his name sounds something like 'Monkey Wee-wee'. I really wish I was making that up, but hey, it's Japan). I only managed to unlock one additional partner anyway, aside from the three you start with. To make things worse, the game lacks any real form of fast-travel beyond the expensive town portal gems (and portal-back gems) you'll be spending all of your hard-earned G's on. Occasionally you'll find a large gem in a dungeon that will teleport you back to the surface, and once you find the dungeon-end of the teleporter it becomes a two-way portal, but believe me when I say they're so few and far in between that they really aren't helpful at all.

I guess there's Ryona content too. Some enemies will pick you up and drop you on the ground. Some enemies will knock you to the ground, or just knock you around in general. Some enemies will deal damage to you without knocking you down or around... And, uh... Sometimes things... Poison you. I think that's about it. In case you didn't catch the sarcasm, there actually isn't any Ryona content. At least not anything even moderately interesting. The only thing I liked, Ryona-wise, was the ability to leave the game there and see the character get bonked around after being defeated via that ryona.txt trick. Not that there's anything to actually see, but it's a nice feature.

I was sticking with the game out of sheer stubbornness, hoping it would get better or the next enemy would have a cool attack or something. I'm guessing I'm about 85% of the way through as I've gone almost everywhere I can think of, unlocked all but the last character, defeated a smallish dragon/wyvern boss (a fight that lasted five minutes and was the most epic experience I had with the game aside from watching the blonde chick's breasts bounce), crafted an awesome sword out of a crappy rusty one, and run around a LOT just refusing to fight anything I didn't have to as I worked on map coverage. But if the final dungeon is just one big grindfest like the rest of the game (and I'm sure it is), I don't think I'm going to bother with it anymore.

tl;dr version: 4/10 for gameplay engine, 2/10 for Ryona, -7/10 for execution. Could be entertaining but winds up a massive grindy timesink, would not recommend to anyone that actually enjoys Ryona or video games. On the other hand, if you want to annoy someone, telling them this game is awesome would be a great way to make them hate you.

By the way, if you have problems leveling, you're probably wearing a piece of equipment that doesn't allow gaining experience. Specifically, I remember an armor-bracelet-thing that did it.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Can you add your savegame? The heavy grind is what made me stop playing the game, but I would like to see the rest the game without having to invest so much time myself.

Mebius

Potential Patron
Uploaded my latest and probably last save here. I think I was still in the middle of the volcano, but it's not like I don't have a bunch of portal gems on me if you want to get back to town.

Most of my characters were cheat engine'd up to the same level for stat comparison purposes. The only two I ever seriously played beyond character gathering were the spear chick and the blonde swordswoman that should currently be selected.

cybeast

Potential Patron
why when I died, then I use the item that looks like a yellow... crystal? it just teleported me back to field outside the town? when I used it before I died, it teleported me to some dungeon with skeleton enemies o.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.