Creating a game - General advice (1 Viewer)

Mardion

Potential Patron
So let's say that someone involved with computers wants to become the next Toffi and create his own ryona/fighting game. What tools would he need to start creating?

From my understanding so far, they'd need a program for creating fighting games (dunno where they'd find something like it) , a program like Poser for the fighters, and the sound effects/music.

PS : I understand this is a very general question, but even the basics will do. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a shot, maybe it will inspire someone else to.

Nekodorama

Ryonani Teamster
or you can do what eluku does and sprite everything yourself and you can use programs like flash, fighter maker, mugen, game maker, and rpg maker. for poser i say 3d custom girl is my favorate mainly because it has so many mods. fighter maker comes with the sound effects i think but if it doesnt you can always rip them from other games

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
You'll need some sort of platform to build the game on. If you know a certain programming language you could always start from scratch, although it would take awhile which is why most indie game makers use programs like RPGMaker, Fighter Maker etc to simplify many of the programming aspects of creating the game. I think Toffi used Fighter Maker for the platform and Custom Girl 3D to model the girls and exported them to GIMP to make them into sprites if I'm remembering right. Not sure where he got the sound for it but foamy is right, you could always just take sounds from other commercial games.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Thanks for your replies, the thing is, I have been unable to find this "Fighter Maker" in the net (I only find the mediocre PSX game) and can't find any torrents either. I've only found this but somehow I don't think it's the correct one. Anyone has any tips?

or you can do what eluku does and sprite everything yourself
As in, draw the sprites, or copy them from Poser?

noice1

Potential Patron
As someone that has played a lot of (and could post a ton of) RPG maker ryona-ish games, I have to say that is probably the easiest to do. And I'm pretty sure you would draw your own sprites.

I know a site that has a lot of various monster girl uploads that occasionally have sprites, thing is you have no idea who made them so it's probably unfair if you were to publish it them in a game of your own...but for practice in getting your game mechanics down it could save some time. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
i would strongly suggest looking into gamemaker 8. the free version is quite good, and the full version is even better. as for making sprites, if you are interested in poser, i would check out dazstudio, a free piece of software that is compatible with most poser products. i do not use it myself, but i understand that it comes with a few models with which one can get started. be warned, however, that creating 'good' 3d art takes practice, time, and either money or a willingness to use pirated software.

Nekodorama

Ryonani Teamster
gamemaker isnt really a good program mainly because it has so many problems it would be less frustrating just programming everything yourself as for doing what eluku does draw your own sprites and sorry for the late response i kinda forgot i posted that

Toffi

Content Creator
Yeah, first of all, you'll need a program to make your games. RPGMaker and Fighter Maker (or Mugen) are a good start, since they are easy to understand and don't take too much time to learn. And if you know what kind of genre your game should be, the limited resources/options of these gamemakers aren't a big problem.
FMHQ has some good tutorials for Fighter Maker, as well as downloads and competent members to ask for help if you are stuck.
If you want to go advanced, you can use the gamemaker eyeteeth suggested as well, or flash, or really anything. It's up to you and what you make of it.

The biggest problem in making Ryonagames are the visuals. You can do it like Eluku, drawing you own characters, frame by frame from scratch and inserting them into the game. But if you are like me and can't draw for shit, this isn't really an option. I personally like handdrawn sprites the most, but they are rare - since it's the most difficult way to make you characters. Second option would be to take sprites from existing games and modifying them in some ways, like I did in Raped! or can be seen in most Sex Mugen Characters.
And the third option would be to make your own sprites with the help of other programs - like 3DCG, which I use now. It's a lot of work but unlike the first option you don't need any talent for drawing. You just need a lot of patience and a good imagination. The backdraw of this option is that it looks mechanical and less fluid. You can always just add more frames/screenshots, but making really fluid animations out of screenshots can be quite difficult.

Music and sounds are the last piece you'll need to make the game complete. I got my SEs from different sources - Fighter Maker/RPG Maker RTP, Internet-sites and from the Ryonaproject. They upload everything they use for their games into a library, the sounds as well. 1828 for example.

Other programs you'll need are image designers like Gimp or Photoshop and maybe something for editing sounds, like Audacity.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
gamemaker isnt really a good program mainly because it has so many problems it would be less frustrating just programming everything yourself as for doing what eluku does draw your own sprites and sorry for the late response i kinda forgot i posted that

Aaaah, I love game maker! I'm pretty sure BlankBlood was made with it (that default loading splash...)

Sprite work is a very different animal from drawing full-blown images, relying a lot less on artistic expertise and more on visual tricks and a ton of patience. Also, consider using sprites from other games to get your poses and proportions, then draw your character over that in another layer- it usually turns out better than you expect. I remember a very good tutorial about drawing sprites in general, but even the archived version I found may well be lost at this point.

White_Fox

Ryonani Teamster
What about Nano Crisis? What type of program is Nano Crisis using?
The animation in this game looks quite smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.