1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I load custom dialogue?

Discussion in 'Help' started by cog, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cog

cog Potential Patron

Hi, I'm new to this awesome game and have a simple question that I couldn't find the answer to from browsing the forum. Apologies if it's there somewhere.

I'm creating a custom character by following the guide here: [W.I.P] SDT Tutorial for Very Newbie User

I'd like a Dialogue.txt file that's not in the same folder as the character to automatically load when I load the character. That way I can use 1 dialogue file that auto loads for lots of characters. I've tried to do it in the same way that hair and BG is done ( e.g "customHair:Mods\DOWNLOAD\Hair\Konan.png") by using "customDialogue" and the path to the file, but doesnt work. Any solution?

2. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

If your single file applies to everyone then you can simply put it here:

Mods\$INIT$\dialogue.txt

This dialogue file will be loaded when the game starts up, so any girl will immediately begin speaking your custom lines.

------------​

Alternatively, you could just copy-paste multiple copies of the file into each girl's folder.

Mods\Annie\dialogue.txt
    Mods\Bettie\dialogue.txt
    Mods\Catherine\dialogue.txt

It's a bit of a hassle if you're actively expanding or tweaking the file (because then you'll need to replace all of the copies each time) but it will work.

------------​

Finally, you could package the dialogue into a SWF and place it in a parent folder. Each girl's Mods.txt file would then refer to the (shared) file. The advantage here is that you could have several different shared files -- one for submissive girls, one for domineering girls, and so on.

Mods\aggressiveDialogue.swf
    Mods\passiveDialogue.swf
    Mods\sluttyDialogue.swf

Mods\Annie\Mods.txt

Code:
    ../aggressiveDialogue.swf
    Mods\Bettie\Mods.txt
    Code:
    ../passiveDialogue.swf
    Mods\Catherine\Mods.txt
    Code:
    ../sluttyDialogue.swf

The major disadvantage is that creating SWF files is a somewhat specialized task. You'll need to either download special tools, or ask a SWF modder to assist you. On the plus side: since you're using SWF files, you'll be able to include custom audio lines for each line of dialogue (if you want to).

3. cog

cog Potential Patron

I'll stick to the 2nd option for now then, a dialogue file in each girl's folder. The SWF option sounds like a nice solution but probably too advanced for me, I think I have enough to learn for now. So, maybe one day. Thanks so much for such a helpful answer.