How do I load custom dialogue? (1 Viewer)

cog

Potential Patron
Hi, I'm new to this awesome game and have a simple question that I couldn't find the answer to from browsing the forum. Apologies if it's there somewhere.

I'm creating a custom character by following the guide here: [W.I.P] SDT Tutorial for Very Newbie User

I'd like a Dialogue.txt file that's not in the same folder as the character to automatically load when I load the character. That way I can use 1 dialogue file that auto loads for lots of characters. I've tried to do it in the same way that hair and BG is done ( e.g "customHair:Mods\DOWNLOAD\Hair\Konan.png") by using "customDialogue" and the path to the file, but doesnt work. Any solution?

stuntcock

Content Creator
I'd like a Dialogue.txt file that's not in the same folder as the character to automatically load when I load the character. That way I can use 1 dialogue file that auto loads for lots of characters.
If your single file applies to everyone then you can simply put it here:

Mods\$INIT$\dialogue.txt

This dialogue file will be loaded when the game starts up, so any girl will immediately begin speaking your custom lines.

------------​

Alternatively, you could just copy-paste multiple copies of the file into each girl's folder.

Mods\Annie\dialogue.txt
Mods\Bettie\dialogue.txt
Mods\Catherine\dialogue.txt

It's a bit of a hassle if you're actively expanding or tweaking the file (because then you'll need to replace all of the copies each time) but it will work.

------------​

Finally, you could package the dialogue into a SWF and place it in a parent folder. Each girl's Mods.txt file would then refer to the (shared) file. The advantage here is that you could have several different shared files -- one for submissive girls, one for domineering girls, and so on.

Mods\aggressiveDialogue.swf
Mods\passiveDialogue.swf
Mods\sluttyDialogue.swf

Mods\Annie\Mods.txt

Code:
../aggressiveDialogue.swf
Mods\Bettie\Mods.txt
Code:
../passiveDialogue.swf
Mods\Catherine\Mods.txt
Code:
../sluttyDialogue.swf

The major disadvantage is that creating SWF files is a somewhat specialized task. You'll need to either download special tools, or ask a SWF modder to assist you. On the plus side: since you're using SWF files, you'll be able to include custom audio lines for each line of dialogue (if you want to).

cog

Potential Patron
I'll stick to the 2nd option for now then, a dialogue file in each girl's folder. The SWF option sounds like a nice solution but probably too advanced for me, I think I have enough to learn for now. So, maybe one day. Thanks so much for such a helpful answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.