1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[HELP] How would I make a texture transparent [DOALR]

Discussion in 'Tools & Guides' started by fiend busa, Apr 1, 2015.

1. fiend busa

fiend busa Potential Patron

Hey everyone,

Im kind of new to modding textures and I for the life of my can't figure out how to make a texture transparent so that the face beneath the mask would show. I read about putting the texture on a new alpha channel in Photoshop. I tried that but when I run the game the mask just becomes pitch black with no details.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. RoqueDemon

RoqueDemon Avid Affiliate Content Creator

Most things DOA5 can't be made transparent. The ones that can are made transparent by modifying the alpha as you said, where black = invisible, white = visible.
    If you open a texture and its alpha has something other than black or white then it's probably being used for something other than transparency.

3. fiend busa

ah, so only the texture that has an alpha channel initially can be made transparent?

4. RoqueDemon

Nope, some like Kasumi's costume 16 and 17 don't have an alpha channel but can be made transparent

5. fiend busa

ah ok, so im testing out creating a new alpha channel and on default its black. I read you have to change the color to white to make it transparent but it doesn't give me the option :s

6. RoqueDemon

In this game it's the other way around, black is transparent. Remember to save as DXT3 or 5

7. fiend busa

Kasumi seemed to work but for Hayabusa mummy costume I can't seem to adjust the color to black in photoshop on the alpha layer

qyr3Jgg.png

8. Dynamicuno

Dynamicuno Potential Patron

Hi there,
    So if there is an alpha channel, should we be able to transparent it? eg, Hitomi school outfit with the opaque stockings seems to have alpha, but I can't seem to do anything with them. Should we be able to transparent the stockings more?

Cheers

9. RoqueDemon

Also no. Some of the textures have what I believe is the specular map in the alpha, so altering it would only modify the way it reflects light.