A few technical dialogue questions (1 Viewer)

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
Hai, I'm working on my first dialogue (and as always in my case, it's getting a lot more complicated than originally planned), and have a few potentially nub questions - I've read the stickied guides, but couldn't really find this:
1) Is there a way to make an "intro" line fire immediately after the dialogue is loaded? As it is, it can take up to 10 seconds which is annoying for what I have in mind. (Note: I know DialogueActions can do this, but asking if this can be done in vanilla as I'd like to do this without DA for now)

2) If using a trigger like [vigorous] (e.g. "blablablabla[vigorous]") to follow one line directly with another, is there a way to make a few seconds of delay between them? Normally the second line just appears right when the first one was just barely fully displayed. (I tried using the "Б" trick and a whole bunch of them before the trigger but there was no visible difference)

3) If I add an uberfuckton of mood checks (e.g. 3/4 of the dialogue will only work under happy mood), is there a risk it will slow down the game? Apparently a lot of the "check" attributes is not advised, not sure if it applies to this as well.

I'll be very grateful for answers (and you'll have your epic contribution to my dialogue, yay!).

WeeWillie

Content Creator
VincentL said:
1) Is there a way to make an "intro" line fire immediately after the dialogue is loaded? As it is, it can take up to 10 seconds which is annoying for what I have in mind. (Note: I know DialogueActions can do this, but asking if this can be done in vanilla as I'd like to do this without DA for now)
Not that I know of. You best bet is to use DialogueActions and use the "start" line type.

VincentL said:
2) If using a trigger like [vigorous] (e.g. "blablablabla[vigorous]") to follow one line directly with another, is there a way to make a few seconds of delay between them? Normally the second line just appears right when the first one was just barely fully displayed. (I tried using the "Б" trick and a whole bunch of them before the trigger but there was no visible difference)
The "Б" trick is the way to do this. I'm not sure what went wrong. You put those at the end of your line. The line will finish playing before the next line trigger fires, independent of where that trigger call is in your line. Just make sure the lines of "Б" are after your text. You'll need a few, line 10 or so before you really see any nice delay.

VincentL said:
3) If I add an uberfuckton of mood checks (e.g. 3/4 of the dialogue will only work under happy mood), is there a risk it will slow down the game? Apparently a lot of the "check" attributes is not advised, not sure if it applies to this as well.
I don't know for certain, but I would assume yes, it will slow down your dialogue. I do all my conditional lines through line type replacement (e.g. "Calling my next line [MyLine*MyVar*]" instead of using any check attributes.)

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
O ok, this will do. Thanks a lot :) (as for the third one, I was kind of considering using mood to have two "phases" of the dialogue in a way but I guess I'll try to find something else)

EDIT: Meh, one more question. Why would a "restart" line not fire when it should? It sometimes doesn't, which is quite problematic.

WeeWillie

Content Creator
VincentL said:
EDIT: Meh, one more question. Why would a "restart" line not fire when it should? It sometimes doesn't, which is quite problematic.
Sadly, I can't help you here. I've never used restart. For my dialogues cumming and restarting again hasn't been of much interest to the story.

aztlan

Casual Client
WeeWillie said:
The "Б" trick is the way to do this. I'm not sure what went wrong. You put those at the end of your line. The line will finish playing before the next line trigger fires, independent of where that trigger call is in your line. Just make sure the lines of "Б" are after your text. You'll need a few, line 10 or so before you really see any nice delay.

Is it necessary to have the Б at the end of the line, you can't stick them in the middle to slow it down there...?

WeeWillie

Content Creator
aztlan said:
Is it necessary to have the Б at the end of the line, you can't stick them in the middle to slow it down there...?
You can put it anywhere. You put them at the end of the line though to give the player time to read the text if you are chaining immediately to another line. You put them in the middle of the line to add pauses.

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
I tried using the Б trick exactly to force a restart line to follow the previous time I tried it, I guess I'll give it another try as that would solve the problem. The last time I used 10 Б and there was not much difference, I'll try with like 50 and see what happens :p

WeeWillie

Content Creator
VincentL said:
I tried using the Б trick exactly to force a restart line to follow the previous time I tried it, I guess I'll give it another try as that would solve the problem. The last time I used 10 Б and there was not much difference, I'll try with like 50 and see what happens :p
Hmm, 10 should be noticeable. If you ever want me to look at a specific dialog, just let me know.

VincentL

Vivacious Visitor
I'll try to work it out myself for now, but thanks for the offer :) generally I have an idea how I want it to work and it's maybe slightly ambitious but not that complicated, it's just that I tend to work on it just a little bit at a time so progress is slow :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.