Where to/ok to make this SDT Revision request? (1 Viewer)

polaire

Potential Patron
Thanks to the mods to moving this to the appropriate forum.
I've edited this post to just contain my request:

After a couple of months of searching for the perfect hair for a very important OC I've p much given up and am ready to settle and I have decided on the Mugino Shirzui dynamic hair. (I am not familiar with the character, I just think the hair is just pretty.)
This hair can be found in this thread, under Dynamic Hair imports #2:
Kir's imports [Added Dynamic hair: Frenda Seivelun from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun]

here is the direct link to the swf file:
https://www.undertow.club/attachments/mugino-shizuri-dynamic-hair-swf.34987/

But it has one major thing wrong with it! The thick strand of hair hanging down over the ears blocks the ears entirely and having pointy elfy ears at least partially visible is a must.
I can think of a half dozen ways to slap an ear on top if it was static but as a dynamic hair I am at a loss.

I threw together a quick&dirty image to illustrate some possibilities I wuold be more than satisfied with, I've never done anything like this before and hope I've done it right:

AjNB4Uz.png

Exhibit A is to put the ear on top so that the hair is behind the ear. YES this means when she moves forward the hair will swing and clip through the ear. I don't really care, I'm realistic. I'm getting this for free.

Exhibit B is to elongate the ear quite a bit (and angle it up a bit to make it a more delicate exaggerated style) so that it only peaks out a little bit depending on the motion of the hair but at least i'll sometimes see it stick out.

Exhibit C is PROBABLY impossible but that's the placement I would want the ear if the hair was static, I just doubt you can animate the hair around that little slot for the ear to stick out. Notice that I've also elongated and angled the ear a bit more here as well.
I might even be satisfied with Exhibit C in static hair if you can make the ear a bit more pretty and elegant.

Exhibit D is not shown because I don't have the art skills. Remove the thick swinging strand of hair and replace it with something that doesn't cover the ear. This "something" has to have some curly tendrilly wavy element to it, and also not block the face or throat too much.

My other request/concern is that as you can see from the screenshots that I have the skin Very Pale and the hair Very Red. My experience with hairs with built-in ears is that when I make the hair red it will turn the ear a funky color. So please edit the hair to be red? I'm not even picky about the exact shade of red as long as it is red AF and not too pink or orange.

And if anyone is interested in hearing what my dream hair would be like, I'd love to gush about it. This would just be conversational (and I'd listen in return to your dream impossible costume piece) and not an actual request.

Thanks for reading all of this nonsense and if anyone actually even attempts to do this I would be very grateful.

Last edited:

fleet

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
RM Moderator
Content Creator
Hello, welcome to undertow. You can make the request. Since this is a request for a REVISION, I'll move it to the Revisions topic.
Having said that, PLEASE post pictures of the original hair and profile pictures of how you want the hair to look. Otherwise your request will be ignored.
Posts on what type of images are required are at these links.
Reference Shot Guide
Requesting Rules PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A REQUEST

Very respectfully,
fleet (global moderator)

stuntcock

Content Creator
I'm looking for someone to slightly alter a pre-existing dynamic hair. My first concern is that I searched the forums by the hair's name but all of the threads it has ever come up in, including the original fulfilled request thread and the last mega import thread it was added to, are all old and/or dead.
fleet fleet has moved this thread to the Revisions area, so you're in the right place :) You can go ahead and edit your post to include the relevant information:
  • link to the original thread (and/or a download link for the original file)
  • description of the changes that you'd like to see
  • reference image for the new/revised appearance of the hairstyle
  • any other information that you'd like to include

My second concern is that this is not altering a hair to make it look like any cartoon/whatever character but to make it look more like an OC and I don't know if that's poor etiquette because maybe no one wants to spend time working on something that probably only I will care about?
That's fine; it's a self-balancing thing. Modders are interested in satisfying fans, so they may be less interested in working on your request. Nobody will be offended; at worst they'll simply ignore your request.

If the new design is visually interesting (e.g. pretty colors, cute accessories) then people may want to download and play with it regardless of whether they know anything about the OC. Modders might be willing to take up the project simply because the technical aspects are interesting.

tl;dr - there's no harm in making a request. Go ahead and post the details.

polaire

Potential Patron
Thanks guys! I can't believe I missed the revisions forum. Somehow every time I think I've exhausted this forum of resources I find a new thread with stuff in it I've never seen.

I've edited my original post to have my request, complete with links and images. I hope I did it right.

I'll totally understand if nobody thinks it's worth their time.

stuntcock

Content Creator
After a couple of months of searching for the perfect hair for a very important OC I've p much given up and am ready to settle and I have decided on the Mugino Shirzui dynamic hair.
I'm interested in this project, but I can't begin work on it yet. @Kir is still present as a member of the forum, so I'll need to get permission from him before I edit his work. He might even prefer to handle the whole thing himself instead of letting someone else mess around with it :)

So instead I'll just ask a few questions.

This hair can be found in this thread <snip>
Thank you for identifying the original mod and being thorough in your descriptions. You've established a clear "win state" for the project, which is nice (much nicer than working with a vague or indecisive client).

Exhibit C is PROBABLY impossible but that's the placement I would want the ear if the hair was static, I just doubt you can animate the hair around that little slot for the ear to stick out.
This one is do-able, but I would need to use Loader scripting in order to achieve the layering+animation effect. Are you familiar with the Loader? Do you require the new mod to be vanilla compatible (as was the original Shizuri hairstyle) or can we employ Loader techniques?

I might even be satisfied with Exhibit C in static hair if you can make the ear a bit more pretty and elegant.
Changes to the ear can be included in any of the A-B-C-D variants. If you want to get really fancy then the ear itself can even be animated so that it will flex and wobble slightly as the girl's head moves around.

But any change would require a reference image (or a mockup screenshot), because "pretty and elegant" is too vague for me.

My experience with hairs with built-in ears is that when I make the hair red it will turn the ear a funky color.
Yep. That's a natural consequence when the ear is drawn onto the hair canvas.

If we're using Loader techniques to resize or replace the ear, then it's not a problem. You'd be able to apply HSL correction to the new ear in the same way as the old one, so you could fine-tune the character's paleness via the usual sliders. Independently, you'd be able to fine-tune the redness of the hair.

If we're restricted to vanilla modding, then we'd need to match the ear and hair color in advance (e.g. against a charcode and screenshot which you've provided). It's possible -- because you clearly understand how you want the character to appear -- but slightly more restrictive.

So please edit the hair to be red?
Can we assume that the colors shown in your screenshots are acceptable?

If not then please feel free to fiddle with the colors in Photoshop and post a "retouched" screenshot. This project will involve the Flash workspace (i.e. it's not just some technical wizardry applied onto the existing SWF file), so changes to the color palette are possible.

And if anyone is interested in hearing what my dream hair would be like, I'd love to gush about it.
Please note that I cannot fulfill this part of the request. I don't draw original designs, and I struggle to even trace the complicated ones. I can comment on the technical viability of proposed animation features, and maybe suggest a few artists whom you might talk to.

If you're hoping to see original artwork emerge from this request (or from a followup project), then it would be best to wait for an actual artist to express interest in your thread. If @Kir is willing to come out of retirement then he's certainly talented enough to handle it (although I don't know whether he'd be interested in OC requests).

a very important OC
Just to clarify: I don't do private requests. I'd share early or WIP versions of the file with you in order to obtain feedback, but once the file is complete it would be published for general consumption. Random people on the internet would be able to download the file, and they might seek sexual gratification from your OC.

I assume that you've already considered this angle and that you're okay with it. If so then it's no problem; I just needed to confirm. If not, then you'll need to find someone else to work on the request.

polaire

Potential Patron
@Kir is still present as a member of the forum, so I'll need to get permission from him before I edit his work. He might even prefer to handle the whole thing himself instead of letting someone else mess around with it :)
As I tried to say in my original post which has since been edited, I know the optimal etiquette would have been to post in that thread but it was in the graveyard, the o.g. request was marked fulfilled, and while the artist's profile said they were still active I could not find any recent threads they were part of.

This one is do-able, but I would need to use Loader scripting in order to achieve the layering+animation effect. Are you familiar with the Loader? Do you require the new mod to be vanilla compatible (as was the original Shizuri hairstyle) or can we employ Loader techniques?
Yes, I use the Loader.

Changes to the ear can be included in any of the A-B-C-D variants. If you want to get really fancy then the ear itself can even be animated so that it will flex and wobble slightly as the girl's head moves around.

But any change would require a reference image (or a mockup screenshot), because "pretty and elegant" is too vague for me.

Haha, no on the ear animation, thank you.
If you are keeping the hair a dynamic piece, use the default pointed ear (making it longer and angled upward only if you have to exaggerate it to make it visible, otherwise keep it the same.)
If you only have the time to make this a static piece, then I will see what I can do about finding a fancier ear for you to use.

Can we assume that the colors shown in your screenshots are acceptable?

Yes, if I don't come back with a more specific color swatch for you before you start working on it (which I don't expect to do), then use the colors in the screenshot.

Please note that I cannot fulfill this part of the request. I don't draw original designs, and I struggle to even trace the complicated ones.

That's why I said it would be conversational only. Like if there was any interest in a thread for people to discuss their pipe dream desires without putting any pressures or expectations on the modders. Just to chat and share, I guess.

Random people on the internet would be able to download the file, and they might seek sexual gratification from your OC.

I assume that you've already considered this angle and that you're okay with it. If so then it's no problem; I just needed to confirm. If not, then you'll need to find someone else to work on the request.

Yup. It's basically just some random anime lady's hair turned red with an elf ear stuck in it. Lacking any additional context it has no direct ties to me or my characters. Name it whatever you want and let it run free into the world. ;)
In fact, I hope someone else likes it so I don't feel as if the request is so selfish!

Thanks again for even considering it, I really appreciate it.

stuntcock

Content Creator
As I tried to say in my original post which has since been edited, I know the optimal etiquette would have been to post in that thread but it was in the graveyard, the o.g. request was marked fulfilled, and while the artist's profile said they were still active I could not find any recent threads they were part of.
Your intuition was correct :)

The graveyard contains content-rich threads whose authors are no longer active. People are discouraged from posting there, because we don't want to give the (misleading) impression that the author is still accepting requests or bug reports.

The appropriate course of action would be to contact the person directly. If you visit someone's profile page then you'll find an option to begin a Private Message conversation with them. In this case you don't need to worry about it, because I've already sent a message to @Kir.

As previously mentioned, I won't begin work on this request until I get permission from him (unless he remains persistently absent and there's no hope of getting a reply). Please feel free to browse the site in the meantime -- you can make additional requests, send bug reports to modders, learn to write your own dialogues, or whatever. This request will remain active, and I'll notify you if/when I get a response from Kir.

If you only have the time to make this a static piece, then I will see what I can do about finding a fancier ear for you to use.
Nah. I enjoy dynamic-hair animation projects, and it would be blasphemy to downgrade a dynamic hairstyle into a static one :)

We can nudge the hair strands forward so that they'll expose a reasonable amount of ear, but if that proves insufficient then we'll stretch the ear a bit. Let's not worry about the exact details until the project is approved and underway.

That's why I said it would be conversational only. Like if there was any interest in a thread for people to discuss their pipe dream desires without putting any pressures or expectations on the modders. Just to chat and share, I guess.
You're free to create such a thread if you'd like to exchange crazy ideas. I usually encourage people to refine their ideas into a workable pitch and then post it as a Request or Loader Request. But I guess that it wouldn't hurt to have a more free-form brainstorming thread.

Maybe post it in the Requests area, and if it drifts too far off-topic then we'll move it somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.