What are you looking for in a ryona game? (1 Viewer)

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Getting good progress on the basic engine. Character properly runs, jumps, and falls. Floors stop falling, walls stop horizontal movement appropriately. Jumping directly into a wall that you're up against is a little awkward, but at least its working as intended.

Basic environment interactions (swimming, climbing) should be next.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Sorry for taking my sweet time getting to this thread. :<

I actually don't mind higher resolution characters, even if they end up taking more of the screen. Just means more detail, which I like. That's one of the gripes I have with both Nightmare Sphere and Unholy Sanctuary. Great in most every aspect except the lack of detail in the character and enemies. I liked the zoom system the guy that's working on Nanocrisis implemented. As far as QTE/button mash escapes... I think Toffi's system in PotR was ideal (having to press a series of movement keys in specific order, the number of keys dependent on how much damage you'd taken so far). You sound pretty driven so far so I'm really looking forward to any kind of sneak peek if you intend to do any. A preview similar to dirtyc's Beta on the Beach would be nice. :grin:

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
A preview similar to dirtyc's Beta on the Beach would be nice. :grin:

I shall ignore the intent of this message and give you a really crappy preview NOW. You can run! You can jump! There's some water that slows you down but you apparently can't swim in it or drown! There's an ugly brown background! There is OMINOUS SILENCE!

Enjoy, I guess... :yaeh am not durnk:

--linksnip--

Last edited by a moderator:

noice1

Potential Patron
Wee. I had fun jumping and falling.

Little things I've noticed: if you hold jump all the way through until you land, the character stays in the jump animation. Similarly, if you are running and then press and hold the opposite direction, the character runs in place.

Other than that, I'm just wanting a way to duck and some maneuverability in mid-air, and it would be fine.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Heh, hadn't tried that with the jumping. I think I can fix that easily.
The running in place thing I think would be more effort to fix than it's worth- I did make extra sure that changing directions while running worked properly.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
You can jump higher when you're running than from a standing position.
If you shortly hit right and then jump you're in the running animation during the way up; program says I'm in the runr state or animation while I'm in the air. I couldn't reproduce the error with shortly hitting left.
If you're jumping from a standing position you have full maneuverability during the way up and down, if you're jumping while running you only have limited maneuverability while falling down, i.e. if you're jumping right you can only choose between three different speeds: Stop midair and falling straight down (hold left), continue with about half the speed (hold left and right or no button), continue with even greater speed than during the way up (hold right).
You jump all the time if you're continue pressing Up.
The direction the character is facing in mid-air is inconsistent; you can only turn around once during mid-air (right at the peak and a short time afterwards), but it has no influence over the speed of the character. I.e. you can jump right, turn left during the jump, and then continue to fly full speed to the right side.

A acquaintance of mine wanted very responsive maneuverability mid-air for some of her mugen characters, so I wrote the code for her; I don't know the code for GameMaker, but maybe this pseudo code will help you anyway.

Neutral jump:

this is set at the beginning of the jump
[
- variable(horizontal speed) = 0
]

check this code every game tick
[
- if player is not pressing Right or Left then
- - if variable(horizontal speed) > 0
- - - variable(horizontal speed) = variable(horizontal speed) - 0.01
- - if variable(horizontal speed) < 0
- - - variable(horizontal speed) = variable(horizontal speed) + 0.01

- if player is pressing Right then
- - if variable(horizontal speed) < 2
- - - variable(horizontal speed) = variable(horizontal speed) + 0.02

- if player is pressing Left then
- - if variable(horizontal speed) > -2
- - - variable(horizontal speed) = variable(horizontal speed) - 0.02
]

Jump left:

[
- variable(horizontal speed) = -2
]

[

- - if variable(horizontal speed) < 0 (if you don't want the charater to turn around mid-air, otherwise 2)

- - if variable(horizontal speed) > -2
]

Jump right:

[
- variable(horizontal speed) = 2
]

[

- - if variable(horizontal speed) < 2

- - if variable(horizontal speed) > 0 (if you don't want the charater to turn around mid-air, otherwise -2)
]

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
You can jump higher when you're running than from a standing position.
Intentional.

If you're jumping from a standing position you have full maneuverability during the way up and down, if you're jumping while running you only have limited maneuverability while falling down
Intentional. Was actually considering keeping the character in state=jump instead of switching to fall after the peak (the only reason you have any maneuverability on a running jump at all). Was I the only one that came to this NOT wanting perfect maneuverability while jumping?

You jump all the time if you're continue pressing Up.
Didn't see that as a problem, but I guess I can change it.

The direction the character is facing in mid-air is inconsistent; you can only turn around once during mid-air (right at the peak and a short time afterwards), but it has no influence over the speed of the character. I.e. you can jump right, turn left during the jump, and then continue to fly full speed to the right side.
So you want to be able to turn around more than once, then? Or what.

If you shortly hit right and then jump you're in the running animation during the way up; program says I'm in the runr state or animation while I'm in the air. I couldn't reproduce the error with shortly hitting left.
Now that son of a bitch has been bothering me. I'm not sure what the hell is causing it.

//Up key control-- Jumping

if(state=="standl")
{
if (!place_free(x,y+1)) //Are we on the ground?
{
state="falll";
vspeed=-10*charvspeed; //Jump!
gravity=0.5;
if(inwater==1) //Jump higher in water
gravity=0.25;
image_index=20;
image_speed=0.3;
landed=0;
}
}

if(state=="standr")
{
{
state="fallr";
vspeed=-10*charvspeed; //Jump!
gravity=0.5;
if(inwater==1)
gravity=0.25; //Jump higher in water
image_index=16;
image_speed=0.3;
landed=0;
}
}

if(state=="runl")
{
{
moving = 1;
state="jumpl";
vspeed=-12*charvspeed; //Jump!
hspeed=-6*charhspeed; //Momentum!
gravity=0.5;
if(inwater==1)
gravity=0.25; //Jump higher in water
image_index=20;
image_speed=0.3;
landed=0;
}
}

if(state=="runr")
{
{
moving = 1;
state="jumpr";
vspeed=-12*charvspeed; //Jump!
hspeed=6*charhspeed; //Momentum!
gravity=0.5;
if(inwater==1)
gravity=0.25 //Jump higher in water
image_index=16;
image_speed=0.3;
landed=0;
}
}

I can't see anything in this particular code that would be causing it, so it must be something with gamemaker's timing.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Starting to work on this again.
Added health, though nothing happens when it hits 0. Being underwater now causes a breath bar to appear, which slowly decreases. Health rapidly plummets once it is empty (you have about 3 seconds to get out once breath = 0). The same bar can be used for smothering/choking attacks later.

Next step: Adding more animations, so I can work on things like ducking, and enemies.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Oh, completlely forgot about this thread; hadn't time to thoroughly read your "Jump control", sorry.

Intentional. Was actually considering keeping the character in state=jump instead of switching to fall after the peak (the only reason you have any maneuverability on a running jump at all). Was I the only one that came to this NOT wanting perfect maneuverability while jumping?
I wouldn't mind having no control while in the air, or perfect maneuverability, but something in between feels odd the me. Also keep in mind that bad/no air maneuverability will most likely force you to make the jumps parts rather simple or very frustrating; e.g. I image it is very hard to jump from a moving platform to another when you cannot change your speed midair.

Didn't see that as a problem, but I guess I can change it.
In some old games you had to press down the 'Jump' button to jump higher, so I'm now in the habit of pressing the 'Jump' button in all games I play as long as the character is in the air, so I sometimes double jumped when I didn't wanted to. Also I'm an absolute control freak when it comes to the controls of a game; e.g. one of my credos is that every button press should result in at most one reaction from the game, not more. Dunno what's the preference of other players.

So you want to be able to turn around more than once, then? Or what.
Either the character should turn around everytime she starts moving in the opposite direction she's currently facing (so with current settings turing around would be impossible for running jumps), or not at all.

noice1

Potential Patron
Cool stuff, Unrelated. Keep going, it will be worth the time and attention to detail you put into it.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
At some point I'll completely re-evaluate the movement code. Right now my focus is on getting as much of a skeleton done without it turning into spaghetti code-- it could already use a little bit of cleanup, but mostly in minor things like combining small Drag & Drop commands I used out of laziness into combined scripts.

I've made the basic "bad end" code-- when health hits 0, the game fades out, and back into a specific animation or image depending on how you got there. Right now there's nothing but a controller printing the variable of what SHOULD be there, which is as good a placeholder as any.

I know it's pretty far into the future before I should worry about it, but I wonder what I should do about sounds? Hmm.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
There's this thread for ryona voices that might be of assistance, but I don't know what else to tell you. Unless, of course, you're willing to hire a voice actor... (and had recording devices, and the time to record, and the money)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I'd be willing to dig through some games of your liking for sound sets that match the main character of your game.

True Succubus

Potential Patron
2 Words sums up what I love in a Ryona Game: Lesbian Rape.

Kick the shit out of her then fuck the shit out of her :3

SPRINGS02

Ryonani Teamster
2 Words sums up what I love in a Ryona Game: Lesbian Rape.

Kick the shit out of her then fuck the shit out of her :3

Took the words right out of my mouth, hell yes lesbian rape. I don't want any dick in my ryona games. I love lesbian ryona. While lesbian rape is the main thing i look for in ryona games i also consider peeing and feet pluses.

Also, True Succubus a lesbian ryona lover like yourself should check out the yuri ryona thread i made. It's mainly pics but it's got some pretty good stuff, feel free to add some stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.