Unable to post images (1 Viewer)

Hank East

Content Creator
Not really sure if this is the right help board to post this on but here goes. I was trying to upload some screenshots to the SDT screenshot thread, but I was met with "Array to string conversion" when I tried to upload them and a retry button next to it, which didn't helpt at all. Is there currently a problem with uploading images I'm not aware of?

The images were png files. I even tried uploading some screenshots I've already uploaded to see if it was somehow a problem with the newer shots, but I got the same issue.

stuntcock

Content Creator
I was trying to upload some screenshots to the SDT screenshot thread, but I was met with "Array to string conversion" when I tried to upload them
Minor changes in the Imgur API.

The plug-in is no longer being maintained, so we'll need to fix the scripts manually. Or find a replacement.

In the meantime you can manually upload files to Imgur via drag-and-drop. Inserting the images into your post is somewhat inconvenient, but the upload process itself is very quick and reliable.

Iago

Content Creator
I had the same problem with the "add images" button, but last time I tried, the "upload a file" button still worked and did the same service.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
I had the same problem with the "add images" button, but last time I tried, the "upload a file" button still worked and did the same service.
The problem is that the files uploaded are on the forum server, and cost for their hosting, while it is free for undertow.club if they are hosted by imgur.
The plug-in is no longer being maintained, so we'll need to fix the scripts manually. Or find a replacement.
The admin team should find a solution fast because of that, as most forum members do not care about this difference, and many did already upload their crap to undertow.club because they are lazy to just try to understand the difference...
I personnaly think that the "upload a file" button should be avaialble only to content creators, to upload useful stuff like mods. This may be a problem for the other sections of the forum, but no file hosting is necessary for the peons in SDT.
At least, the "Upload a File" button should be somewhat hidden in the bottom of the edition area and not appear above the "Add Images" button.

Iago

Content Creator
If I ever knew that, I forgot.
Ok, I won't upload more images using that button until you find a definite solution.

Hank East

Content Creator
Yeah same. I'll wait until the issue is resolved before uploading more screenshots. Saddly I've already uploaded the few I wanted with the upload a file option, so sorry about that.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Yeah same. I'll wait until the issue is resolved before uploading more screenshots. Saddly I've already uploaded the few I wanted with the upload a file option, so sorry about that.
Screenshots aren't a serious concern. They're a form of original content, after all. They involve creativity, they encourage modders, and they demonstrate new features or ideas to new users (who might otherwise remain in the "shallow end" of the modding pool until they get bored and drop the game altogether). The images also tend to be reasonably sized (because SDT's framerate sucks and so nobody can play the game at 4k resolution anyways).

I initially advised people not to upload screenshots as attachments because we were planning to rollout a Gallery system. Within the Gallery, each image could be tagged with stuff like <screenshot> <sdt> <beach> <sand> <underwater> <swimsuit> <torn clothing>. Viewers would be able to browse through all of the screenshots submitted by a particular user, or just scroll through the most popular stuff. The system could also be used by the Ryona fans for sharing animation snippets, and by the MMO modders for glamour shots of their extensively modded waifus :)

That's on indefinite hiatus, though :( Possibly due to licensing issues? Or was it a version-compatibility thing? I don't recall the exact details.

Anyway - the stuff that's really bothersome to me is the attached reference images, because:
  • it's sometimes semi-original content (such as a screengrab from an anime episode) but it's usually just a repost of an image which was already hosted somewhere else on the internet.
  • the images are often terrible and provide no value whatsoever to Undertow users.
  • even a good reference image lacks long-term value, because it becomes redundant after the mod gets created.
  • the resolution is sometimes absurdly high. Or it's a bitmap, in which case the filesize is absurd even if the resolution is small.
  • nobody ever remembers to delete the reference images after a request is fulfilled. Imgur has algorithms for this stuff; they know how to deprioritize (and eventually delete) a file which receives no eyeballs.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Screenshots aren't a serious concern.
[...]
Anyway - the stuff that's really bothersome to me is the attached reference images.
I think the same: examples of mods are useful and should be kept safe on the same server as the mods themselves (even if I do not do this and host my examples on ImageBam, but this is mainly because the current forum doesn't allow to choose the size of images and ImageBam provides thumbnails with links to the full size images).
For screenshots other than mod examples, this is discutable. But I do not know how much is earned with the ads, and it is certainly more than the cost of the server, otherwise I bet that more action would be taken against abusive image hosting, especially when it comes to references.

This said, when I look at the refs that some host on our site, I'm always a little sad that @anonymous' "spite" system has been abandonned and that only "likes" are left! :rolleyes:

CLPkOu3.png

(and I upload my ref on undertow.club and leave it forever)​

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
I discovered that ShareX (a tool I am already speaking of in another thread) can upload directly screenshots on Imgur or other image hosting sites, eventually to registered accounts. It also has an entry in Windows' right-click menu to upload images to Imgur in a few seconds

Huitznahua

Content Creator
eventually to registered accounts.
Just log in to your imgur account before lauching your workflow and yeah your images automatically end up in your acount. But I don't know if we can fetch the images in a specific imgur folder (that would be overkill).

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
fetch the images in a specific imgur folder
Click on "Destinations" on the right menu, then "Destination parameters" (Paramètres de destination) then check the box "Upload images to the selected album" (Mettre en ligne les images vers l'album sélectionné) and "Refresh album list" (Rafraîchir la liste des albums).

PS: names in English may be slightly different, I am using a French version.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Minor changes in the Imgur API.

Is there is a solution in sight?
I would like to know if is a real issue or if there is enough ad revenues on this forum to pay for the extra cost of hosting images and other useless crap on the server. What does d£t d£t thinks of this?
Maybe this could help: php-remote-image-uploader (on GitHub)

I would like to know, because I am bitching against noobs when they upload their stuff as attachements, and also because I would like to know if I should edit the tutorial "
How to add images to a thread on this forum" (that only a few read anyway I guess).

By the way, I found this Chrome extension that makes upload on Imgur quite easy: imgur Uploader.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I'll try to take a look this week to see how big of a change the API changes on Imgur's side was and if I can patch it to get it to work again. Alternatively I can try another image hosting service to see if they still work. I've disabled the controls for the remote image uploader for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.