twicetest.swf doesn't work (1 Viewer)

hammy

Vivacious Visitor
Hey all,
Is there a way to get TwiceTest.swf to work with the Loader v.5.45? if not, what do I need to make it work? When I load it, nothing happens.

aztlan

Casual Client
You need it in the same folder as sdt.swf and it works fine.

Blank screen might have mean you toggled them both off - Use down arrows key to switch who you are interacting with and Up arrows to toggle them from visible to not.

hammy

Vivacious Visitor
You need it in the same folder as sdt.swf and it works fine.

Blank screen might have mean you toggled them both off - Use down arrows key to switch who you are interacting with and Up arrows to toggle them from visible to not.
i'm pressing the keys and nothings happening. You have to run twicetest.swf on its own right? or do you load it with sdt.swf/loader.swf?

stuntcock

Content Creator
i'm pressing the keys and nothings happening. You have to run twicetest.swf on its own right? or do you load it with sdt.swf/loader.swf?
You run it in its own, but it must be in the same folder as SDT.swf. For simplicity, you should just paste the TwiceTest.swf file into a reliable "working" instance of SDT (e.g. one which has a Mods subfolder, Settings subfolder, Shortcuts.txt file, etc). You can do this without fear, because TwiceTest doesn't actually modify or disrupt any of the neighboring files. It merely attempts to load the neighboring SDT.swf file when you double-click it. So double-click TwiceTest.swf and see what happens.

If it still fails, then run TwiceTest.swf through the Flash Player Projector content debugger and show us the error which appears.

Note: if you're trying to run TwiceTest in a browser window then it may not work. I just tried it out; Chrome was okay but Firefox failed. The standalone Flash Player is recommended.

hammy

Vivacious Visitor
You run it in its own, but it must be in the same folder as SDT.swf. For simplicity, you should just paste the TwiceTest.swf file into a reliable "working" instance of SDT (e.g. one which has a Mods subfolder, Settings subfolder, Shortcuts.txt file, etc). You can do this without fear, because TwiceTest doesn't actually modify or disrupt any of the neighboring files. It merely attempts to load the neighboring SDT.swf file when you double-click it. So double-click TwiceTest.swf and see what happens.

If it still fails, then run TwiceTest.swf through the Flash Player Projector content debugger and show us the error which appears.

Note: if you're trying to run TwiceTest in a browser window then it may not work. I just tried it out; Chrome was okay but Firefox failed. The standalone Flash Player is recommended.
kky.PNG

stuntcock

Content Creator
You have the wrong SDT.swf file.

The file itself has been "forked" on a few occasions. For example: someone decided to strip out the introductory "chimes" noise at some point, because they found the noise annoying (the removal wasn't really necessary because it's possible to disable the noise via Settings, but meh). This removal changed the filesize from 1,598,886 bytes to 1,584,163 bytes.

I've managed to reproduce your error with a particular variant of the SDT.swf file, with the larger filesize (it includes the chimes). The file itself is unsigned, so I'm not sure who prepared it or which specific edits they made to it. The point is: it's different enough that it won't play ball with TwiceTest.

I'd advise you to make a backup of your SDT.swf file, give the backup a distinctive filename (so that you can revert to it if absolutely necessary), then replace your SDT.swf file with a copy from any of the usual packs (ModGuy's, sby's, WeeWillie's, etc). Please be sure to obtain a fresh copy of the pack, because it's possible that one of the ZIP files sitting on your disk contains the "wrong" SDT.swf. You don't need to overwrite your entire SDT folder! Just download a pack, extract it to a temp folder, steal the SDT.swf file, plop it into your normal game folder, and then try to run TwiceTest.swf.

If it still fails, then please repeat the process, grabbing the SWF file from an alternate pack (e.g. sby's if you used Modguy's the first time). If it still fails then we must conclude that God hates you and he simply doesn't want you to see simultaneous double fellatio.

hammy

Vivacious Visitor
It works! Thanks.
PS: Is there a way to get FPS to go up? 2 girls at once really strains the frame rate

Woo Bee

Potential Patron
Apologies if this is an inappropriate bump, but I'm not seeing a definitive answer to hammy's original question: Can TwiceTest be made to work with the Loader? I can run it as a standalone SWF through various means (and I can confirm a deepthroating contest between Peach and Daisy is hot like fire), but attempting to Import TwiceTest.swf from inside a Loaded game doesn't even throw an error message and no additional layer becomes toggle-able, and attempting to Import the Loader after launching TwiceTest screws up like this (note the audio continues and the hair can be weirdly zoomed around, but that layer is otherwise completely broken):
1iyoqnf.png
In another thread, Nameless claimed TwiceTest ran "quite well" with what was likely an earlier version of the Loader, but he showed up again in this thread saying he didn't even have a copy of it, so I don't know what's real anymore. Is there some particular rain dance I need to do to get TwiceTest and the Loader playing nice, or does TwiceTest simply not work with the Loader, never did, and likely never will? :wat:

stuntcock

Content Creator
Can TwiceTest be made to work with the Loader?
No. TwiceTest.swf can be placed in the same folder as Loader.swf. You can choose to run one file or the other, and both will work with a shared copy of the SDT.swf file. But you cannot apply both to a single gameplay session of SDT.

attempting to Import TwiceTest.swf from inside a Loaded game doesn't even throw an error message
Attempting to import TwiceTest.swf into a game session is silly. The file is akin to the Loader itself -- it's a wrapper for the SDT game, which launches two game sessions and then swaps between them as needed. It can't do anything useful if the game is already in progress.

attempting to Import the Loader after launching TwiceTest screws up
See above. You're not supposed to import Loader.swf into an existing game session. It's a standalone thing which needs to launch independently so that it can setup, launch, and "supervise" a session of SDT.

In another thread, Nameless claimed TwiceTest ran "quite well"
He probably meant that "you can grab the latest copy of the Loader pack, extract it into an empty folder on your PC, drop TwiceTest.swf into the same folder, then run TwiceTest.swf and it will work nicely." In other words: TwiceTest is compatiable with the contents of the Loader package. TwiceTest does not require any special reconfiguration, and it does not demand that you downgrade your files before you'll be able to play with it.

By the way: you can use Twitter-style callouts to particular usernames. If you want The Hacker Known As Snow The Hacker Known As Snow to visit your thread then simply include an @ symbol before his name when writing a post. The forum software will automatically notify him. It's a convenient way to call someone's attention to a particular topic without the need to write an actual private message to them.

does TwiceTest simply not work with the Loader, never did, and likely never will? :wat:
Don't know whether it ever did. I'm not putting any effort into making it work. You can ask @ModGuy whether he's willing to do something with it, but I suspect that the word "Test" in the title indicates that it was merely a proof-of-concept rather than a serious development effort.

SDT's runtime performance is fairly bad (to the point that dialogue writers need to worry about script lag, many users need to disable strand shaders, and I need to compromise the physical fidelity of hair mods). Running two sessions in parallel is probably just "asking for trouble" - especially if you want to include code proxies and blending interactions.

It's something that's been included in planning for a revamp project. Performance is no longer a significant concern in that case, and we're no longer bound by SDT's hardcoding (linear tweens, bespoke physics, exactly two characters, etc), and we can instead focus on more difficult (but also more interesting) questions such as:
  • do we focus on pairs of simultaneous 1-on-1 encounters, or a single 2-on-1 scenario?
  • how do we handle layering? Do all of the characters need to fit into a single collision plane, or can we arrange them into foreground-and-background layouts?
  • how does the user control everything? Is most of the movement automated, or does the user need to be some kind of master pianist who can micromanage everything in real time? Do most of the characters sit idle while the user controls only one of them? Do we need to include a highlight or halo to help the user recognize which character (and/or which bodypart) they're currently controlling?
  • how do we present configuration and customization options via the GUI? Does the user need to select a single character before opening the menu? Or does the menu system automatically expand to provide a set of controls for each character in the scene?
  • how does dialogue work? If there are four characters active and a line appears at the bottom of the screen, then how does the player know who spoke it? What happens when all four characters are trying to speak simultaneously?
  • can the user spawn additional characters spontaneously during gameplay? Or does it require too much input (e.g. choosing anchor points and postures) so that they'd need to setup multi-character scenarios in advance (via something akin to the animtools application)?
  • how do we handle hotkeys? If there are two girls on-screen and the user presses "T" then whose breast size should change?

Woo Bee

Potential Patron
Dang, I was afraid of that. I was aware that Importing the Loader was silly, but my experience as a troubleshooter suggested that since all the obvious sane things weren't working, it was worth trying a few of the easier insane things. :grin:

All I actually need the Loader for is moving the actors around so I can actually see what's happening - mirror + zoom is a start, but panning the actors around in the window would be enough (though I certainly wouldn't complain about some bigger-than-default penises). If @ModGuy wanted to tell us that making TwiceTest Importable (or whatever) is a trivial task, I'd tell him I get very respectable performance out of it on my i7 4770K, and pitting two girls against each other adds a legitimately fun gamification element. He's likely to tell us it wouldn't be trivial, of course, and at that point I would withdraw my request (though I still might want to entice him with some Peach vs Daisy videos if it wouldn't be that much work :wink:).

If it is a proper truckload of work that's likely to explode on the launchpad anyway, I'd be thinking the same thought you are, stuntcock stuntcock , though maybe not coming to the same conclusion - Flash is in its death throes, the performance bottlenecks are an intractable embarrassment for Adobe, and the amount of man-hours that have gone into jumping over the hurdles Flash, ActionScript, and @Konashion's absence have thrown up could've been spent replicating the project several times over by now. For a variety of reasons (and probably because I've been thinking about elements of this exact project for a few years now), the only sensible course of action I see is building a spiritual successor in Unity. I did read every word of that "necessary improvements" thread - I could've written most of it - and I'm aware that this is both a ridiculous mountain of work even for a paid team and also of little help to this community's 2D artists and AS wizards with their existing corpus of work, but I simply feel it's what the idea at the core of SDT deserves.

In short, I promise I won't proclaim this project is now in development and try to con a bunch of SDT modders into doing all the work for me, but that bullet list is telling me I might want to start a thread soliciting input on a design document. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.