The Comprehensive Dialogue Guide (1 Viewer)

Antimatter42

Bedroom Philosopher
Content Creator
Designer
Writer
Author
Editor
I already have that one, so how do I trigger a change of backgrounds with that mod? :)
I would recommend further reading the provided notes and instructions that come with downloading dialogueactions (assuming you have them). However, in case you don't understand, there are three triggers you can use to change the background:
-[CHANGE_BACKGROUND] (Simply changes the background)
-[INSTANT_FLASH] (fades the screen for effect and makes it a color of your choosing)
-[END_FLASH] (use this trigger to end the effect)
In addition, when you place these triggers in a line, that line must contain the variable, {"set":{"da.background.load":"[insert file name of your chosen background here]"}}

Once all this is done, your background should change. Also, bear in mind that your background must be placed in your $INIT$ folder.

Example line: linetype:"[INSTANT_FLASH_000000][END_FLASH]This is a line."{"set":{"da.background.load":"Roof.png"}}

P.S.: To set the color of the fade, or instant flash effect use "000000" for black, "ffffff" for white, "CF5300,"for orange. Of course, there are other colors, but these are the ones mentioned in the notes. Hope this helps.
-Antimatter42

Deleted member 124113

Potential Patron
I would recommend further reading the provided notes and instructions that come with downloading dialogueactions (assuming you have them). However, in case you don't understand, there are three triggers you can use to change the background:
-[CHANGE_BACKGROUND] (Simply changes the background)
-[INSTANT_FLASH] (fades the screen for effect and makes it a color of your choosing)
-[END_FLASH] (use this trigger to end the effect)
In addition, when you place these triggers in a line, that line must contain the variable, {"set":{"da.background.load":"[insert file name of your chosen background here]"}}

Once all this is done, your background should change. Also, bear in mind that your background must be placed in your $INIT$ folder.

Example line: linetype:"[INSTANT_FLASH_000000][END_FLASH]This is a line."{"set":{"da.background.load":"Roof.png"}}

P.S.: To set the color of the fade, or instant flash effect use "000000" for black, "ffffff" for white, "CF5300,"for orange. Of course, there are other colors, but these are the ones mentioned in the notes. Hope this helps.
-Antimatter42

Thank you SO much! I'll try and do that! :D

Antimatter42

Bedroom Philosopher
Content Creator
Designer
Writer
Author
Editor
Using Delays and Line Breaks
Held lines are a mixed bag. If you make them Thought/Him they will trigger very frequently when she's actually held, so you'll need a lot of them (dozens) if you want to avoid repetition until you choke her out. On the other hand, if you make them speech style, it's quite possible that the line will be lost in excessive coughing once she is released. A solution is to use the cyrillic letter Б to introduce a pause. SDT doesn't know what to print for this character, so it prints nothing and pauses for a while instead. So fill those Thought/Him styled Held lines with as many Бs as seem appropriate and see how it plays out and fine tune from there to get the result you want. Also, you can combine these pauses with line breaks (the URL code is %0A to introduce a line break) to really go beyond the timing limitations of the dialogue system as coded in the game.

So, as far as I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), the cyrillic letter "Б" works like an ellipses in books (e.g., when characters say "it was...frightening")? Also, I don't understand what is meant by line breaks.

edgelord 3000

Content Creator
The Б is basically an unprintable letter, but SDT still tries to print it. Since it's unprintable, it causes a small delay during talking. Using just "..." kinda works too, but sometimes it just prints too fast when you want something said with hesitation. Every Б adds up, so with enough of them you can have several seconds or minutes (or hours, if you're a maniac) between words or actions or whatever.

"Line break" is just a term for making a new text line, like pressing Enter on your keyboard.

Antimatter42

Bedroom Philosopher
Content Creator
Designer
Writer
Author
Editor
The Б is basically an unprintable letter, but SDT still tries to print it. Since it's unprintable, it causes a small delay during talking. Using just "..." kinda works too, but sometimes it just prints too fast when you want something said with hesitation. Every Б adds up, so with enough of them you can have several seconds or minutes (or hours, if you're a maniac) between words or actions or whatever.

"Line break" is just a term for making a new text line, like pressing Enter on your keyboard.
Thanks. That explains everything.

Deleted member 124113

Potential Patron
Hi :) I'm currently working on a dialogue, and I ran into some trouble...
The problem is that I have written several lines of the linetype "pulled_up" but I only want the lines to play once, so that the next time she's pulled up it will chose one of the other "pulled_up" lines, and not repeat itself.
Does anyone know how to do this? :)

I have tried different techniques I thought would work, but they dont :/ Any help would be most appreciated :)

Rudgar

Content Creator
Hi :) I'm currently working on a dialogue, and I ran into some trouble...
The problem is that I have written several lines of the linetype "pulled_up" but I only want the lines to play once, so that the next time she's pulled up it will chose one of the other "pulled_up" lines, and not repeat itself.
Does anyone know how to do this? :)

I have tried different techniques I thought would work, but they dont :/ Any help would be most appreciated :)
Maybe this one could help you?

Respectfully, Rudgar

Deleted member 124113

Potential Patron
Hello :)
I was wondering what you guys would do to change the charactercode in the middle of a dialogue? To "switch girls" so to speak.
I know there are different ways to do this, but which do you prefer?
I know there's one way where you put a charcode in the initial_settings. However that does not always work for me, so I might do it wrong :/ Either way I want to learn your ways if you have any :)

gigafast

Potential Patron
Does anyone know if its possible to limit how far he can deepthroat her through dialogue?
Creating my own dialogue and i was hoping to set it up so he could only fully push it all the way in at a certain point in the dialogue but i can't seem to figure out how.

Eva-2X

Content Creator
Does anyone know if its possible to limit how far he can deepthroat her through dialogue?
Creating my own dialogue and i was hoping to set it up so he could only fully push it all the way in at a certain point in the dialogue but i can't seem to figure out how.

The easiest way, is to use CustomAumation mod 7.0 with its [UPDATE_RESISTANCE_100][RESET_RESIST] triggers

put those triggers in a "first_throat:" dialogue line and you will be fine. She can't be deep throated!

gigafast

Potential Patron
The easiest way, is to use CustomAumation mod 7.0 with its [UPDATE_RESISTANCE_100][RESET_RESIST] triggers

put those triggers in a "first_throat:" dialogue line and you will be fine. She can't be deep throated!

So far it seems to work great, thanks.
Comes with a bunch of other interesting stuff i might try out at eventually too.

xkwizit

Avid Affiliate
How have I only just found this guide?? The advanced loader dialogue tricks are just what I was after, thank you!

Ms. Pale Fire

Potential Patron
Very pleased to read this guide. The idea of writing for this went around my head for a while. Finally decided to give a try. After all, the worst thing that can happen is the whole computer crashing while loading it.

Being honest, probably this will be as close as ever "programming" something. Will try my best and, with a little bit of luck, I will not make any ridiculous attempt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.