SyntaxTerror messing around with his new toy: Flash CC (1 Viewer)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello world

I am curently trying to make SWF mods with Flash CC 13.1.0.226, Kona's STDMod.fla (from SDTModdingCS5) and the help of @Synonymous' [Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide].
I advance like an asthmatic slug (but I advance a little...) and I find very difficult to draw vector polygons on CC.
Thus, I was wondering if I could copy/paste vector drawings from Inkscape (keeping the nodes and other things) because I can use this software with much more ease than CC, where I have to learn how to draw nearly from scratch.
stuntcock stuntcock did a SWF file from a SVG file I provided, but I do not know how he did it and if he is using Flash.

I hope that someone can help me with this, because it took me months to learn how to use Inkscape more or less correctly, and I am afraid to have to wait a long time before creating something acceptable with CC.

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Hum, I think it would be easier to draw directly on flash. I'm aware this will require a little investment in time to learn how to properly doing your stuff in flash, but I think it worth it.

So I don't know if it will be useful but here's what I can say :
  • I don't use the "Pen Tool" but mostly the "Line tool" ;
  • You can modify the line with the classic "Selection Tool" or with the "Subselection Tool" just like the Bezier curve in Inksape ;
  • If you draw a kind of "close shape", you can fill it with the color of your choice with the "Paint Bucket Tool" ;
  • I'm not sure what you call "vector polygons" but I think you are referring to the Inkscape organization. In Flash you can draw anything on a layer but for practical reasons I use several layers like "main fill", "outline", "shading", "details", ... ;
  • All this layers can be group into a "Symbol" or "Shape" (I don't know the differences) exemple :
    • Chest (layer with a symbol) :
      • outline (simple layer) ;
      • shading (simple layer) ;
      • fill (simple layer).
    • Back (layer with a symbol) :
      • outline (simple layer) ;
      • shading (simple layer) ;
      • fill (simple layer).

I'm not sure if this last precision is relevant. You may have understand this by yourself.

Anyway, if you don't care and just want to import your .svg stuff to Flash, have you try File -> Import in Flash ?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Thus, I was wondering if I could copy/paste vector drawings from Inkscape (keeping the nodes and other things) because I can use this software with much more ease than CC, where I have to learn how to draw nearly from scratch.
Yes you can. The basic answer is File > Import. If you're using an up-to-date version of the software, then you can import SVG files directly. If you're using an older version, then you'll need to tinker with intermediate formats (such as .emf or .ai).

It may be worthwhile to continue familiarizing yourself with the Flash workspace. There are some features (such as tweens and shape hints) which will be difficult to manage if you're drawing everything externally and then bringing it into Flash "at the last minute". Gradients may also misbehave during the Import, as you noticed with the Himeno Kisara mod. Flash also allows you to preview some effects (such as alternate Shading modes, Mask overlaps, vector transforms, RGB sliders, etc) which will be applied to your artwork at runtime.

Alternatively: you could create the SVG files in Inkscape, ignore Adobe software completely, and create SWF files via special command-line tools.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
The problem is that I do not know how to do almost anything in Flash...
I am learning very slowly because this program has its own logic, selctionning and modifying the lines is quite hard for me.

Actually, I am noticing a problem that may make the use of CC impossible:
Adobe said:
Note: For the Color panel to work, Internet connectivity is required when you launch Flash Professional. Color Panel cannot be used, if you do not have Internet connectivity
But...hmmm... I cannot let my Flash CC connect to the internet... If you see what I mean.
So I think I cannot have gradients of the colour that I want. The only linear gradients avaialble to me are a basic white-black and a black-red-black gradient.
Yes you can. The basic answer is File > Import. If you're using an up-to-date version of the software, then you can import SVG files directly. If you're using an older version, then you'll need to tinker with intermediate formats (such as .emf or .ai).
As I said, my software is not up to date (and will never be), so I cannot import SVG. I tried to export EMF with Inkscape but CC doesn"t recognise it. I also tried to convert a SVG file online in AI, but I cannot import it on CC (it seems to works, but I do not know where it is).
Anyway, I think that with the version of CC I currently have, I cannot do anything good with this gradient problem...
Alternatively: you could create the SVG files in Inkscape, ignore Adobe software completely, and create SWF files via special command-line tools.
I may try this, but I know nothing about Python.
I am going to try to get CS5 first, it may be a better solution.

Thank you both for your help anyway.

Huitznahua

Content Creator
ctually, I am noticing a problem that may make the use of CC impossible:
But...hmmm... I cannot let my Flash CC connect to the internet... If you see what I mean.
So I think I cannot have gradients of the colour that I want. The only linear gradients avaialble to me are a basic white-black and a black-red-black gradient.
Very weird. Are you talking about the "Color" and "Swatches" windows anchored on a side bar (this may depend of your workspace setup (I'm using "essential").

I also tried to convert a SVG file online in AI, but I cannot import it on CC (it seems to works, but I do not know where it is).
I've you check the Library panel ?

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Very weird. Are you talking about the "Color" and "Swatches" windows anchored on a side bar (this may depend of your workspace setup (I'm using "essential").
Damned! I only clicked on the fill colour in the Properties panel, but not on the Colour icon in the top left corner... So I think I can manage to get the gradient of the colour I want.

I've you check the Library panel ?
Yes. There are only Kona's folders.
To import, I tried to solutions: Import in Scene and Import in Library, but none of them seem to work for me.
I maybe also made a mistake by choosing to have my program in French, it makes help difficult sometimes because I do not know the exact translations.
And I threw away the archive containing the installer yesterday... :confused:

I am going to work a little on my side and stop asking questions that I will answer by myself in the near future.
(I was also thinking of throwing away Flash and only using the wonderful online tool "stuntcock.com" that converts my SVG to SWF in a few minutes... :grin:)

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Well like stuntcock stuntcock and I said before : it can be very useful to use directly Flash by yourself.

But you know what ? I've started drawing sdt stuff with Flash years ago and now I'm totally unable to use properly Inkscape ! So I can understand how you feel ^^

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Well like stuntcock stuntcock and I said before : it can be very useful to use directly Flash by yourself.
I know... But I hate learning to use new softwares because if generaly the basic ones have many things in common, the more "pro" ones have their own logic, keyboard shortcuts and ways to click and move the mouse to achieve basically the same things.

Right now, I am fighting with bezier curves:
  1. I do not really understand why I must curve them first with the black arrow if I want to curve them with the white arrow?
  2. Why are some nodes created in the midle of the lines while I do not want them to be placed there?
  3. Why do the black arrow can select parts of the lines and move them outside of the polygon???

Huitznahua

Content Creator
I do not really understand why I must curve them first with the black arrow if I want to curve them with the white arrow?
"Must" ? You can use the tool you want. I think the black arrow is for a straightforward approach like "this straight line need to be slightly curved -> click and drag with the black arrow". I think the white one is for detailed stuff when you want to adjust everything meticulously.

Why are some nodes created in the midle of the lines while I do not want them to be placed there?
Yeah when you make a mess with a line, Flash add anchor point. In this case crtl+Z or delete the current line and draw a new one.

Why do the black arrow can select parts of the lines and move them outside of the polygon???
I think you are still in the "Inskape logic". Flash draw vector elements but I think the drawing tools logic is more like raster software (Gimp, Photoshop). So, don't see that as a polygon but as a bunch of lines that can be assembled to create shape. (I'm not sure this explanation is clear, sorry).

stuntcock

Content Creator
I do not really understand why I must curve them first with the black arrow if I want to curve them with the white arrow?
You don't need to do that. You can use the subselection tool (white arrow) without selecting an object first. But it's slightly more difficult, because you must click precisely on one of the object's anchor points (aka vertices) or on one its lines/curves. It's easy to "miss" the line-edge and click the fill instead, which may be confusing.

Why are some nodes created in the midle of the lines while I do not want them to be placed there?
You've drawn two overlapping curves on the same layer -- or one long curve which crosses itself. When this happens, Flash automatically merges the shapes and subdivides the curves (adding a bunch of nodes, and thereby creating a lot of smaller curve segments).

To avoid this, draw your curves on different layers or keep them as separate objects.

"Separate objects" is somewhat confusing. The idea is that you must "lift your pen" from the canvas. As long as the Pen tool (hotkey: p) remains active, Flash will attempt to create a single continuous shape with smooth curves (no sharp corners!). If you switch to a different tool, and then switch back to the pen tool, Flash will begin drawing a new object. You must also enable "Object Drawing" mode (hotkey: j).

Why do the black arrow can select parts of the lines and move them outside of the polygon???
This usually means that you've done the previous thing (accidentally caused Flash to subdivide your curves). It then becomes possible to grab one of your curve segments and drag-and-drop it onto another area of the canvas ... leaving a big unwanted gap in your curve.

If you're in sub-select mode (hotkey: a) or convert mod (hotkey: c) then this problem shouldn't occur. You should generally be using one of those two modes when you're editing Bezier curves. Selection mode (hotkey: v) isn't appropriate for fine-tuning your curves; it's used for larger "bulk" operations (such as selecting an entire strand of hair and then rotating or resizing it).

I maybe also made a mistake by choosing to have my program in French, it makes help difficult sometimes because I do not know the exact translations.
Huitznahua Huitznahua speaks French; he may be able to assist if you have questions about the Flash user interface. I can handle the basic "tourist" vocabulary but I wouldn't be able to describe anything technical.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Well, I tried to publish my mod, but there are several compliation errors (even if I think I did exactly like Kona's example...).

I've uploaded it HERE, so if someone can have a look at it and correct it so I can see where are my mistakes, this would be nice.

I am getting tired so I leave this for now, I'll try again tomorrow.
Thank you for your help. :wink:

stuntcock

Content Creator
Well, I tried to publish my mod, but there are several compliation errors (even if I think I did exactly like Kona's example...).
The only error that I get is that you're trying to import a Symbol instance named "test", but there's no such element on your canvas.

I've sent you the Himeno Kisara FLA file, which may give you an easier place to start from (since it's definitely a "working example").

The probable source of your compilation errors is that you're missing the SDTMods subfolder. You can find it in the template thread (SDTModding.zip). Extract the ZIP, cut-paste the SDTMods subfolder into the working directory for your FLA files, and then you can just forget about it. Your FLA files will automatically "find" the SDTMods subfolder when you attempt to publish in Flash.

HGOcUiq.png

Huitznahua

Content Creator
I've uploaded it HERE, so if someone can have a look at it and correct it so I can see where are my mistakes, this would be nice.
As stuntcock stuntcock said ^^

More explanation about the instance name : you've registered a mod named "test" into the action panel but you haven't properly assigned this name.
You need to click on your stockings and add the name "test" in the propertie panel :
sHE6UhT.png

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
The only error that I get is that you're trying to import a Symbol instance named "test", but there's no such element on your canvas.
I do not understand, don't you see the template "test" in the library? I do not know what a Symbol is...

Concerning the folder SDTMods, it is in the folder I got from [Costume Modding Tutorial] [An Easy Visual Guide] (SDTModdingCS5). I even tried to change it with the one you propose, but it changes nothing.
I followed this tutorial, but I have a problem with the scripting part.

I'm a little confused with these new things and names I do not already understand... I'd better go to sleep!

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
You need to click on your stockings and add the name "test" in the propertie panel :
Yea, that's the thing!

The SWF file is working now, but now I have another problem: the thight part of the stocking is not showing...
jf8XjIl.png
I'll see this tomorrow.
Nevertheless, I am happy to have made my first crappy/half finished SWF mod. :cool:

[EDIT] it is working now, I changed the name of the "rightThigh" by mistake...
9pM9HKX.png

Last edited:

Faceless

Content Creator
SyntaxTerror SyntaxTerror Don't use CC. It's runs on a subscription-based license, which is why it was barking at you about internet connectivity. That's fine for enterprise, since companies can shell out the dough every month, but totally unsuitable for our purposes.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
SyntaxTerror SyntaxTerror Don't use CC. It's runs on a subscription-based license, which is why it was barking at you about internet connectivity. That's fine for enterprise, since companies can shell out the dough every month, but totally unsuitable for our purposes.
I didn't have to pay for this dough, it just fell off a truck...:rolleyes:

Faceless

Content Creator
I didn't have to pay for this dough, it just fell off a truck...:rolleyes:
And obviously you should have put it back on the truck and looked for a truck with CS or something instead, which doesn't use a subscription license and so doesn't require an internet connection to verify that you're legit.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
And obviously you should have put it back on the truck and looked for a truck with CS or something instead, which doesn't use a subscription license and so doesn't require an internet connection to verify that you're legit.
Well, it is not that easy to find a working version of CS (if one do not want to pay for it). I've found some but couldn't get them to work properly and CC was the first to work for me, so I use it. If I experience problems in the future, I can always try again to find a working CS version.
Actually, I never let my CC connect to the Internet.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
You've drawn two overlapping curves on the same layer -- or one long curve which crosses itself. When this happens, Flash automatically merges the shapes and subdivides the curves (adding a bunch of nodes, and thereby creating a lot of smaller curve segments).

To avoid this, draw your curves on different layers or keep them as separate objects.

"Separate objects" is somewhat confusing. The idea is that you must "lift your pen" from the canvas. As long as the Pen tool (hotkey: p) remains active, Flash will attempt to create a single continuous shape with smooth curves (no sharp corners!). If you switch to a different tool, and then switch back to the pen tool, Flash will begin drawing a new object. You must also enable "Object Drawing" mode (hotkey: j).
I would like to come back on this problem: I have it without curves overlapping, look these two screenshots (I just changed the curvature of a line and when I release it, two new points appear):

sx57Flw.png

dU5J3YU.png

Is there is a way to avoid this, because it is really making me mad!
It makes edits of lines impossible for me: if I delete these new points, the line goes back at its previous position...:mad:

[EDIT] Apart from this, I have a problem with RGB fills:
I just made sandals with two rgbFills but the first one does not work (I can change the colour of the sole, but not of the straps).
I tried to call it rgbFill and rgbFill1, but it does not change anything (besides, I do not know how the syntax of these names is important).

Could someone have a look and tell me what is wrong?

Here is the FLA: Sandals - platform.fla
(this is just a temporary version)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.