Streets of Girls: Beat em Up using AI Shoujo characters (1 Viewer)

Wagles

Avid Affiliate

Wow, I hadn't been following this thread in a while but it's looking great.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to get the on-hit voices? I only looked at the wiki at a surface level and never was able to find that particular bit, would love to make something like this one day!

slayer

Master of this Domain
Finally back on UT. Good playthrough to show the level. Such variety of foes.
Naomi's shiny skin & bikini- :wat: Betty's physique, outfit, & dropping a ring.
Mum as the high-health boss w/daughters. So hot- fighting is crazy. :wink:

Many at once, including nine at one point. :grin:
The sounds of pickups & their cries are great. Karen & Naomi have very hot voices. :cool:
Wish they were smaller, could attack, & that there was music, but well done. Thanks, including taking some feedback on development! :smile:

Thanks for the detailed feedback! It really means a lot to me, and helps me go further into the project.

I never replied to this because you were literally the first person I told once I figured it out! I thought you wanted someone else's opinion. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

The easiest way, I've found, is to create a custom script. To do that just make a text file and then rename it to .c after you're done. All you're gonna do is tell the object to find itself, and then scale itself. In the script you multiply 256 by the scale factor, so it'll look like this:

void main()
{
void self = getlocalvar("self");
setdrawmethod(self, 1, 280, 280, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0);
}

The script works with EVERYTHING it can do, so all those 0s are for all the other things drawmethod can effect. Like flipping the frame, or making it transparent, or changing the palette. The -1 there is for the palette, actually; so it keeps the palette it's mapped to instead of switching. Cause 0 is the default palette.

Then you'd put a reference to that script in under the animationscript subheader which probably has something there anyway. It'd look something like:

animationscript data/scripts/grabscript.c
script data/scripts/95.c

Now I did encounter some issues when I first tested this on your sprites: they dang vanished. I had to divide all the offsets by 2 in order to get them back on screen. But I haven't encountered that issue doing any other scaling; although it's less dramatic than half.

All in all, really helps. There's still some wonkyness, but you don't have to smash your sprites down to nothing to get them working in an environment that can't go any higher than 800p tall.

I had tried to make it run but I was unable to; with this new information I'll give it another shot. Thanks a lot!

Wow, I hadn't been following this thread in a while but it's looking great.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to get the on-hit voices? I only looked at the wiki at a surface level and never was able to find that particular bit, would love to make something like this one day!

I'm glad that you enjoy it! Would you like to share what aspects of the game you like the most? ^^

Regarding the sounds; I've been gathering sounds from different games for some time, in the "sounds" folder. Still, if you want to look for some sources or ask for new ones, I had opened this thread:

Wagles

Avid Affiliate
I'm glad that you enjoy it! Would you like to share what aspects of the game you like the most? ^^

Regarding the sounds; I've been gathering sounds from different games for some time, in the "sounds" folder. Still, if you want to look for some sources or ask for new ones, I had opened this thread:
Love the detail of the bounce the characters have, and great variety from what I could see in the video. Think the audio is what caught my attention, but I actually meant how did you get it so that the characters could make noise when they got hurt? When I looked at the wiki it seemed like it was either you give it an on hit sound like a punch instead of making each individual character grunt and moan.

slayer

Master of this Domain
To get the characters to make sounds, go to:
/Data
/Chars
/name
(name.txt)

You'll be editing the character's file. For each animation, you can include a sound for each frame, or even more. So, let's check Karen's Pain:

anim pain
loop 0
offset 50 150
bbox 25 5 100 200
sound data/sounds/org04b.wav
delay 1'
frame data/chars/Karen/KarHit00.gif
frame data/chars/Karen/KarHit01.gif
frame (...)

Also, as she is grabbed she emits another sound:

anim grabbed
loop 0
offset 50 150
bbox 25 5 100 200
sound data/sounds/org02.wav
delay 10
frame (...)

And so on. I hope that helps!

Wagles

Avid Affiliate
To get the characters to make sounds, go to:
/Data
/Chars
/name
(name.txt)

You'll be editing the character's file. For each animation, you can include a sound for each frame, or even more. So, let's check Karen's Pain:

anim pain
loop 0
offset 50 150
bbox 25 5 100 200
sound data/sounds/org04b.wav
delay 1'
frame (...)

Also, as she is grabbed she emits another sound:

anim grabbed
loop 0
offset 50 150
bbox 25 5 100 200
sound data/sounds/org02.wav
delay 10
frame (...)

And so on. I hope that helps!
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!

slayer

Master of this Domain
I never replied to this because you were literally the first person I told once I figured it out! I thought you wanted someone else's opinion. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

The easiest way, I've found, is to create a custom script. To do that just make a text file and then rename it to .c after you're done. All you're gonna do is tell the object to find itself, and then scale itself. In the script you multiply 256 by the scale factor, so it'll look like this:

void main()
{
}

The script works with EVERYTHING it can do, so all those 0s are for all the other things drawmethod can effect. Like flipping the frame, or making it transparent, or changing the palette. The -1 there is for the palette, actually; so it keeps the palette it's mapped to instead of switching. Cause 0 is the default palette.

Then you'd put a reference to that script in under the animationscript subheader which probably has something there anyway. It'd look something like:

animationscript data/scripts/grabscript.c
script data/scripts/95.c

Now I did encounter some issues when I first tested this on your sprites: they dang vanished. I had to divide all the offsets by 2 in order to get them back on screen. But I haven't encountered that issue doing any other scaling; although it's less dramatic than half.

All in all, really helps. There's still some wonkyness, but you don't have to smash your sprites down to nothing to get them working in an environment that can't go any higher than 800p tall.

I'm very sorry, but I was unable to follow the instructions properly. I used a plain text editor to create a "newscript.c" file with:
void main()
{
}

But then I noticed there wasn't even a scripts folder to begin with! I created one in "data", but from there on I got lost - the character files I've got don't have references to scripts either! Very odd, since I got the lastest OpenBOR version. I don't know how to proceed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Hmm. I suppose the base openbor project doesn't have a scripts folder or any animation scripts. Doesn't really matter though, you can just make one. Or put it anywhere, you're calling it from each file so as long as it's correct there, 's gon work.

So, make a text file in that folder, put THIS in instead:

void main()
{
setdrawmethod(self, 1, 128, 128, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0);
}

Because with 280 you're going to be increasing the size of the sprite by around 10%. Since you want to just about halve it, divide 256 by 2. Then, put this in your characters' files after the top part:

onspawnscript data/scripts/(whatever you called it).c

You're probably going to have to halve the offsets, but since you're going to also have to change all the body boxes, you'll be in there anyway. But that should get the characters down to size without reducing the files, which is a very solid thing to be able to do.

slayer

Master of this Domain
Sorry for the delay, but version 0.20 is out!

I resized the girls, and Julie the sporty girl has joined the fray!

If you want to see it before downloading it, here there is a video of the levels:

Next stop: Jettmanas original character (maybe a miniboss?):

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Glad to see you back. :smile: Wow, what an update, & appreciated on that possible character. :grin:

I like the new enemy at the start & near the end.
And the smaller size for enemies! 🥰
They're more realistic now- maybe 6 inches to a foot taller.
A few enemies get big when hit or grabed, but no prob.

Great job. I love that Mum was saved for last. A lovely boss. 😍 Hope to play this version!

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's really useful. ^^

Alas, poor Mum got to see her young daughters killed off before being taken out herself...
You're welcome. :smile:
Or in my imagined scenario, those three are the only ones spared with mere KOs. 😊

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Glad to play it yesterday. Even hotter w/the smaller sizes on the enemies (except the newest), & closer to the hero. :smile:

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
slayer slayer rewquested art of the boss trio from the game: Lil Sis, Mum, & Big Sis! 🥰 I'll share the DevArt link when I post there.
Three very different ladies. Which is your fav? ☺️ Posting here instead of the Zako art topic. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• SoGBoss.jpg
    SoGBoss.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 63

slayer

Master of this Domain
Hello!
I'm trying to implement a level boss - Jettmanas' Roxie. I came across a problem -- she attacks, but deals no damage. I can leave it as it is, but it may be interesting for her alone to deal damage to the player. I placed her at the beginning of the "easy" level for testing:

Any feedback, regarding the damage or whatever you wish, is more than welcome!

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Nice. Looking forward to trying that. :smile:
Whatever works for you in regards to attacks, damage, etc. I didn't expect attacks, but good job! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.