Rise of the Tomb Raider (1 Viewer)

Rag40

Swell Supporter
Yeah, same problem I had with TR2013. The voice work for the death scenes just brings the whole thing down. She gets a spike through her neck and doesn't utter a sound. Damn, not surprising, but still kind of annoying.

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
The Trailer for the new DLC of Tomb Raider Titled "Baba Yaga" could be a promising one , it feature some enemies who looks like a supernatural ones so we may get a change from the realistic enemies that we faced in the past two games

RyonaDamsels

Ryonani Teamster
The "Baba Yaga" DLC for Rise Of The Tomb Raider will release on 26 Jan and it was said that Lara will enounter some supernatural enemies in this one in her hallucination so it might have some promising ryona

Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, the first story-focused downloadable content for Rise of the Tomb Raider, will launch Tuesday, Jan. 26, on Xbox One, publisher Microsoft Studios announced today.

Notably, this DLC release comes just days before the scheduled release date for the Windows PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Square Enix was unable to confirm to Polygon whether Baba Yaga will also be available on PC at the time of the port's launch.

Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch will feature protagonist Lara Croft entering a strange new tomb. Therein, she will encounter new enemies, solve puzzles and fight through some wicked hallucinations, all while battling a seemingly supernatural force. Microsoft says the add-on will provide "hours of additional gameplay."

Baba Yaga is included as part of Rise of the Tomb Raider's $29.99 season pass. The first piece of season pass content, Endurance Mode, was made available last month. In Endurance Mode, players must manage Lara's warmth and access to resources to see how long they can keep her alive in the harsh wilderness. A third major piece of DLC, titled Cold Darkness Awakened, is expected later this year.

Rag40

Swell Supporter
I just finished the main game and the DLC a couple of days ago on PC. To answer your question, korangot2, there is no new ryona that I saw in the DLC. It's really an overall lazy production, in my opinion.

There are mutated wolves, but they have the same kill animations as the normal wolves. There are possessed soldiers, but they share the same kill animations as the sword wielding Deathless Ones from the main campaign. And most disappointing of all, Baba Yaga herself never attacks you in melee range. She just floats around shooting fireballs that take forever to kill you (even on the hardest difficulty) and when they do you just get a generic ragdoll or burning animation (can't remember which one).

So yeah, the DLC was kind of a letdown. The base game itself was also a bummer when it comes to ryona. I am kind of surprised at the level of censorship on some of the kill animations, especially the various Deathless Ones. Combine that with the lack of unique sounds to correspond to the different kill methods and it's actually kind of annoying. Like for the last boss, in one animation he slices her throat and in the other he stabs her through the back of her neck, but they just end up playing the generic death animation sounds. Weak.

I will say that Lara's walking, running and turning animations might be the best I have ever seen. The cutscene animations were also really well done. But yeah, the general gameplay was kind of repetitive and the enemy variety was seriously lacking.

Speaking of enemies, why are there no female enemies at all? They kind of explained it away in the 2013 game with the whole island storyline and how all the females were being sacrificed. But they have no excuse here. I mean there are a ton of females that are allies with you, but Trinity seemingly has none. Luckily, more and more games seem to be adding female enemies so hopefully TR will follow suit with the inevitable follow up.

Anyway, enough of my bitching. Overall the game was alright. Hoping for some better writing and less of a focus on open world collectathon gameplay for future titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.