Making breast adaptable bras (1 Viewer)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello

I am into breast adjustable mods for the moment, and I wondered how to make bras breast adaptable, because the Chest grows with the Breasts, but there is nothing in konashion's templates for this.
So I digged into a decompiled SDT.swf, and I've found this:
wHg9RDR.gif

I removed the unneccessary layers and redrew the green lines, because the original shape tweens have been damaged in the decompiling (or maybe I don't know how to decompile properly). The same animation also exists for the bikini string.

Does some tutorials or help exist about this, or even templates? I've looked into @sby's SDTMods_sbyTemplate3, but couldn't find anything.

Does any modder bother making breast adjustable bras in fact?

stuntcock

Content Creator
I am into breast adjustable mods for the moment, and I wondered how to make bras breast adaptable, because the Chest grows with the Breasts, but there is nothing in konashion's templates for this.
I've looked into it. The code is unfinished. There are layers dedicated to this role (such as g.her.torso.shoulderStrap and g.her.torso.braStrap) but they don't do anything on their own. @Konashion's bras rely on hardcoded scripting which can't easily be accessed by imports.

Therefore we need to use the Loader.

In order to create an adaptive torso strap, you can use standard keyframes and tweens (as you've already shown). You employ some simple AS3 scripting to force your strap to jump to the appropriate frame# (i.e. size) whenever the breast slider is adjusted. You could also accomplish this with vanilla scripting and omit the Loader, but the code is a bit more messy.

In order to create an adaptive shoulder strap, it's possible to copy-paste some of @Konashion's code into your mod. I don't consider this worthwhile, because the code has significant limitations:
  • the strap is purely "linear". It's a single rigid shape which can't twist or bounce; it always forms a straight line between its anchor point and the edge of the bra cup.
    • @Konashion compensated for this limitation by using relatively short straps. If you imagine a microbikini (with a tiny bra cup and much longer straps) then you can probably imagine how the garment might seem "stiff" or "unreal".
  • the anchor point is hardcoded to a specific position on the collarbone. You can't play around with different strap designs (which might place the strap nearerer to the neck or shoulder)
  • there's only one strap (on the "right" or "foreground" side of the girl's body). If you want to create a noticeably asymmetric bikini (or something with X-shaped crisscrossing straps) then the side view ought to expose the left-hand strap ... but the vanilla code won't allow you to draw or animate a second strap.
  • the layering is hardcoded. The strap is always drawn underneath the bra cup. This isn't a huge problem; you can draw the intersection zone to mask any visual weirdness. But there are a few cases wherein you might want stitching or patterns on the strap to overlie the bra cup.

---------------​

If you're willing to rely on the Loader, then I can walk you through my recommended approach. It involves drawing several small segments and then using the physics system to define anchor points for them. These anchor points might lie on the girl's body (e.g. collarbone, torso, neck) but they can also be placed on the bra cups. During gameplay, the physics system will stretch the segments to cover the gap between the anchor points -- creating the visual effect of an elastic strap.

The most prominent example is @Huitznahua's bikini mods. Studying his FLA file would probably be a bad idea, because that project was very ambitious and it experienced scope-creep during development. The end result is that the FLA source file is quite complex and difficult to understand. I'd advise you to test out one of the bikini mods in-game. If you like the effect that @Huitznahua was able to achieve, then I can find a more suitable FLA file for you to use as a template.

You can employ the physics-based technique for multiple elements (e.g. torso strap, shoulder strap, dangling strings, etc). Or you can retain a more traditional keyframe-animated approach while using physics only where necessary (e.g. shoulder strap). The traditional technique is certainly more appropriate for a "thick" band across the torso; you wouldn't want such a thing to bounce and wiggle around :)

The one major visual disadvantage of this technique is that it relies on overlap between adjacent sprites. Therefore users cannot create a see-through bra via Alpha adjustment, because the partially-transparent overlap zones usually look awful. If you design your bra very carefully then you can mitigate this problem, but it's usually not worth the effort. Even @Konashion's bra looks bad when its alpha value is reduced! Normal RGB sliders do not suffer from this problem; color adjustment works OK.

---------------​

If you'd prefer to create vanilla mods then I can't really help you with the shoulder strap. I can assist you with the scripting of the torso stuff, if you're having trouble getting it to work in-game.

Does any modder bother making breast adjustable bras in fact?
A few people have created "bra" mods using the TOPS or BRA category. These mods will respond to the breast slider, but there's no easy way to fit the shoulder strap. Therefore the wisest approach is to simply choose a design which lacks any such straps. @Iago's Strapless Bikini Bra could probably have used this approach: default breast-slider-timeline behavior for the bra cups, keyframed animation for the torso band (with Loader scripting to show the appropriate size). But Iago is a very prolific modder, so he chose to spend his time drawing more costumes (instead of lingering on a single design in order to tinker with its fitting and animation).

A few people have also created traditional shirts and then published them under the BRA category for layering reasons, thus creating an "undershirt". Such designs need not include any strap-related animation; they're basically just static garments (with optional breast slider support for the bra cups).

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
use the Loader.
No, no!
there's no easy way to fit the shoulder strap. Therefore the wisest approach is to simply choose a design which lacks any such straps.
The trick is to draw the straps just on the edge of the Back layer, and the Breast fabric can move freely as its expansion will be hidden by the Breast mask.

Look at what I've just done (some little clipping problems to fix though, and maybe the position of the lower ribbon):

Strappy%20top.gif

Strappy%20top.gif

Faceless

Content Creator
In order to create an adaptive torso strap, you can use standard keyframes and tweens (as you've already shown). You employ some simple AS3 scripting to force your strap to jump to the appropriate frame# (i.e. size) whenever the breast slider is adjusted. You could also accomplish this with vanilla scripting and omit the Loader, but the code is a bit more messy.
Actually, you don't need to use any AS3 for the torso strap, because the chest layer tweens are natively handled by vanilla SDT. All you need to do is have the appropriate number of frames in any child object on the chest layer, and it'll follow the breast sliders automatically. Now, if your changes were to include the back layer, then AS3 would be necessary.

stuntcock

Content Creator
The trick is to draw the straps just on the edge of the Back layer, and the Breast fabric can move freely as its expansion will be hidden by the Breast mask.
Yes, this will work for some clothing styles. But it isn't a complete solution to the question of "how can we make bra mods in SDT which fit breasts of various sizes"? Your technique will work well for "thick" garments (such as sports bras), but it's less useful for string-bikini swimwear. It will work poorly for clothing which exposes a significant amount of sideboob/underboob, because the standard mask is not helpful in those cases.

My basic concern is that we shouldn't allow flaws in our technology to limit artistic expression. It's inspiring to see an artist accomplish something with limited materials, like Heather Jansch's driftwood horses. It's amusing to see a hobbyist build something on limited technology (such as writing computer programs in whitespace). If someone's creativity is limited by shitty tech then I would consider it regrettable. I've certainly seen my own creativity restricted by Flash (and occasionally by SDT hardcoding). But there are many grey areas when dealing with obsolete tech: a composer might deliberately restrict themselves to 8-bit chiptunes to achieve a retro feel; a ROMhack project might employ clever palette-swaps in order fit their game under cartridge memory limitations. You might feel that the restrictions present an interesting challenge rather than an unpleasant burden.

I respect your position and I'm not trying to force you to use a particular approach. I'm simply trying to answer the question fully, for the sake of any other modders who might want to pursue similar projects in the future.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Yes, this will work for some clothing styles. But it isn't a complete solution to the question of "how can we make bra mods in SDT which fit breasts of various sizes"? Your technique will work well for "thick" garments (such as sports bras), but it's less useful for string-bikini swimwear. It will work poorly for clothing which exposes a significant amount of sideboob/underboob, because the standard mask is not helpful in those cases.
I totally agree with this. I personnaly find the straps quite wide, but if they were thinner the result may look strange.
Also, it is one of my first costume mods (I just did a pair of stockings, Philia's outfit and some headwear) and this is my first mod involving breast sliders, even if I did two dresses, it is basicaly the same Breast layers.
You might feel that the restrictions present an interesting challenge rather than an unpleasant burden.
Yes, I think so.
Also, technology and the knowledge linked to it is not available to everyone. If I want to make Loader mods, with code and stuff, I need to learn nearly everything. I don't think I am capable to do so, at least in less than two years, and coding is not really my thing, even if I have basic programing skills.
Also, I'd need to install the Loader and learn how it works. This would take me at least five solid years. :tongue:
Keep in mind that the modders capable of doing elaborate Loader mods can be counted on the fingers (of one hand?).

In order to create an adaptive shoulder strap, it's possible to copy-paste some of @Konashion's code into your mod.
In fact, I just copied the images, not the code, so when my mod is compared to kona's basic bra, one can see that the bottom strap is not moving the same way. Even if mine adapts to the breasts size and a little to the breathing, it doesn't move with the breasts:
Strappy%20top.gif

It is particulary visible with bigger breasts.

stuntcock stuntcock : Maybe you can help me with this by giving me the Vanilla code (I still prefer Vanilla for various reasons). I've seen that there are anchor points on the Breast layer for the end of the top and bottom straps, but I do not know how it works.

I'm simply trying to answer the question fully, for the sake of any other modders who might want to pursue similar projects in the future.
I completely understand this. This is also the reason why I am asking these questions here, because it may help other modders and it is always good to have different points of view on an issue.
Thank you for your detailled help.

stuntcock

Content Creator
In fact, I just copied the images, not the code, so when my mod is compared to kona's basic bra, one can see that the bottom strap is not moving the same way. Even if mine adapts to the breasts size and a little to the breathing, it doesn't move with the breasts:
Yes, that's normal.

@Konashion included a "bra" category among the vanilla mod types, but there's no loading code associated with it. If he had continued with development then he would presumably have added the BRA type to CustomElementLoader (along with LEGWEAR etc) and included some code to animate custom bra straps during gameplay. Perhaps we would have used a mechanism like the hair accessory "landing point" which you recently discovered (and which I had not known about).

Any game's code will be imperfect; it will include minor bugs and annoyances. But SDT's code is noticeably incomplete. It's important to remember this fact when you delve into the more complicated modding tasks. You'll often find yourself asking "why doesn't this work? what have I done wrong?" and sometimes the answer will be "you've done nothing wrong; the game is broken; you cannot proceed."

And this is why I'm being a jerk. It's admirable to decide that you want to stick with vanilla modding because you want your work to be usable by everyone (or simply because you don't want to deal with additional complexity). It's quixotic to declare that you're going to create a vanilla-compatible bra, because vanilla SDT does not recognize BRA type imports. Or am I being crazy here? Isn't your demo file using the TOP category? Were you able to successfully create a BRA mod and then view it in-game using a vanilla copy of SDT? Do you have access to a secret version of SDT which is newer than 1.21.1b?

Maybe you can help me with this by giving me the Vanilla code (I still prefer Vanilla for various reasons). I've seen that there are anchor points on the Breast layer for the end of the top and bottom straps, but I do not know how it works.
Okay, I'll take a look. I'm going to assume that we're working with an item designated as ModTypes.TOP, so please let me know if you're actually using ModTypes.BRA. And I'll make one final protest that we're wasting effort by re-solving a solved problem. Okay, no more whining from me; I'll get to work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.