Katawa Shoujo Molly and Hat-Request (1 Viewer)

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
Hello community,

I'm a big fan of the Katawa Shoujo franchise. Some of the hairs from the main characters are already done, but i noticed that some girls are missing. Unfortunately i cant really draw that well in digital art. So i thought i start a request.
I would like to see some dynamic hair of Molly Kapur (hair clip and ribbon as well) from the VN Katawa Shoujo. Also, I would like a flat cap for Hanako, if that is possible?

Molly
She isn't really a character that makes much of an appearance in the game except the one moment from the class introduction at the beginning, so i must rely on fan-made reference photos for you.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hanako cap

If some of you are interested or have any questions, please feel free to write me i try to help as best as i can ;)I just hope that my English isn't that awful so that anybody can understand what i am trying to say.

i wish you a nice day

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello Every_Tuesday.
She isn't really a character that makes much of an appearance in the game except the one moment from the class introduction at the beginning, so i must rely on fan-made reference photos for you.
Unfortunately, your third ref doesn't seem much canonical and the second one seems difficult to adapt (and some parts of the hair are missing). The first one is rather good but unfortunately it is black and white. It would require some talent to transform it to an coloured anime-style picture, and I do not know anyone on this forum capable of doing that right now.
Could you also provide a reference taken directlly from the game to get the canonical colours?
Also, canonicaly, she has two hairpins while your refs shows only one or none, and these hairpins are located on the left side of her hair, while SDT shows basically the right side (this last point is not really a problem).
There are very few people at the moment that have both the software (i.e. Animate CC) and the knowledge to make dynamic hair mods. In fact, there is maybe only stuntcock stuntcock , but I bet he won't accept to make this hair mod without a perfect reference or a vectorised tracing as basis (an image made with Inkscape for example).
I let him explain his point of view on the subject.

I may try these next days to make a static hair mod by cutting the third reference, but the result will not be much more useful than the ref itself.

Concerning the hat, making a standalone hat that can be added to another hair mod also requires to have Animate CC (or Flash Pro CC/CS, its former versions) and the problem is that the hat may not adapt very good to some hairstyles, as its width will not change according to the hair mod width.
The best would be to give us the hairstyle you are planning to use with this hat, or a complete ref of Hanako's hair so both could be made.

I already looked for refs and a good ref seems very difficult to find. By the way, could you give a link to where you found the third one?

Good luck.

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
Unfortunately, your third ref doesn't seem much canonical
That's not really a problem for me, since I don't care about the original material anyways :)

But the drawing still isn't really suitable. It's a very good example of "amateur art" -- drawn by someone who obviously likes the medium and has a lot of creativity, but who hasn't yet mastered perspective and anatomy. So the image includes many elements inspired by other drawings, but they don't quite fit together. There's far too much body in the posterior section of the hair, and the braids are quite thick even though they're woven from a single thin strand of hair. The posture suggests a low-angle shot, but the face is drawn in profile. The shading on the costume is almost random; there's no consistent light source.

The first one is rather good but unfortunately it is black and white.
You're right; this hairstyle demonstrates good physicality. Unfortunately, it's too good. A proper implementation would require many hours of animation work (in addition to all of the drawing, shading, and tracing work). The total sprite count would be excessive (50+) due to the convergent strands. I tried to tackle a converging hairstyle previously, and found that the FPS impact was simply unacceptable. I won't try again until we have a more capatable software platform.

I think that this request is simply too obscure to be feasible.

the problem is that the hat may not adapt very good to some hairstyles, as its width will not change according to the hair mod width.
The best would be to give us the hairstyle you are planning to use with this hat, or a complete ref of Hanako's hair so both could be made.
SyntaxTerror is correct on this point. There are three Hanako hairstyles in the archive. If you can choose one of them then we can try to fit the hat onto it.

I can't trace this particular reference image into vectors because the brushwork and shading are much more soft than SDT's art style. Someone else at Undertow might be able to adapt the design. Or you could try to find another reference image which uses more "crisp" lines and shadows.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
I made a cutting of the third ref (I took time to redraw the outline so it doesn't look too pixelated):
Another problem I encountered is that the ref's girl head is slightly different from SDT's, so the hair cannot be enlarged too much and therefore the braids seem smaller compared to her head on SDT. Nothing can be done about this without altering the drawing.

Every_Tuesday Every_Tuesday : I hope this static hair mod suits you, because it seems unlikely that a dynamic one can be made for the moment.

Last edited:

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
Wow so much response and kindness from you guys, i don´t even know where to begin with :grin:
I'm sorry i answered that late but i just got home from work

Could you also provide a reference taken directlly from the game to get the canonical colours?
Sure, no problem. Here are the only 2 that i could find in-game because, as i quoted she isn´t that often in the game. Quite rarely but yeah i hope it does the job :wink:

I already looked for refs and a good ref seems very difficult to find. By the way, could you give a link to where you found the third one?
Yeah i know those 3 Images where the only ones i could find that having actually a side view of her. As soon as i found more, ill post it to you. The 3rd image was taken from a fanmade story route from here ( Katawa Shoujo Forums • View topic - The Fixers - "School Daze" 28-9-15)

Concerning the hat, making a standalone hat that can be added to another hair mod also requires to have Animate CC (or Flash Pro CC/CS, its former versions) and the problem is that the hat may not adapt very good to some hairstyles, as its width will not change according to the hair mod width.
SyntaxTerror is correct on this point. There are three Hanako hairstyles in the archive. If you can choose one of them then we can try to fit the hat onto it.
Wow, i didn´t thought of that idea. If that is easier for you to transpose im totally fine with it. I look what hair would fits the best and let you know as soon as i found one

The total sprite count would be excessive (50+) due to the convergent strands. I tried to tackle a converging hairstyle previously, and found that the FPS impact was simply unacceptable. I won't try again until we have a more capatable software platform.

I think that this request is simply too obscure to be feasible.
because it seems unlikely that a dynamic one can be made for the moment.
It is completely okay if you do not want to try, if the reference is not right, I did not know much work that brings with you. The hair, or the braids move dynamically was only an idea to make it look better. So decide for yourself whether it should be too much work for you or not. If you want to try it as soon as the software improves or the like, I would be very much connected to you, of course, if it is not, it is synonymous okay. I am already glad that the request was read. So thank you :wink:

I may try these next days to make a static hair mod by cutting the third reference, but the result will not be much more useful than the ref itself.
I made a cutting of the third re
Wow Amazing. That was pretty fast :grin:
You right they look smaller in comparison. Maybe when i find a better ref shot we can work on longer braids. But for now the hair does the job pretty well.:wink:
I have one more question. Would it be possible to smooth the edges around the hair?

Anyway thanks for your time

Last edited:

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
I think that hair would look nice with the hat. But the scars seem a bit too bright.
Is it possible to transfer the scars of one file to these hairs?

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Wow Amazing. That was pretty fast :grin:
This was just removing everything but the hair on the ref, then resizing and rotating it to fit SDT girl's head and placing it on the adequate layers. I also redrawn the outside line because it was looking a bit pixelated.
Would it be possible to smooth the edges around the hair?
I do not understand well what you are asking for. By the way, what is your mother's language? Ça serait plus facile si tu parlais français en fait ! :tongue:
Could you try to edit the example yourself to show lme what would you like?
Is it possible to transfer the scars of one file to these hairs?
Do you mean merging the two mods into one and removing the scars from the left one to let only the other ones?

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
I do not understand well what you are asking for. By the way, what is your mother's language? Could you try to edit the example yourself to show lme what would you like?
Is my English that bad? :oops: Well sometimes i rely google translate, whenever i´m unsure with larger text's like these
My mother-language is German.

All im trying to say is, if you can you polish the outlines of the hair on the highlighted spots ( marked in red )?
It looks kinda edgy, maybe because it was pixelated before, just as you stated.
Also i noticed at the bottom of the braid that there is a little color rest from the previous picture, or something like that.
So can you remove the unnecessary color?

Do you mean merging the two mods into one and removing the scars from the left one to let only the other ones?
Pretty much yeah. I would like to see the scars from the right one in the hair mod from the left. I just don´t know if that is too difficult to connect these 2, because of the shadows from the hanako hair mod

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
It looks kinda edgy, maybe because it was pixelated before, just as you stated.
Nothing really better can be done with a PNG file. I have already redrawn the outline the best as I can. A better outline is possible with a SWF vectorised mod, but this requires hours of work, and I am not ready to do it for such minor changes.
remove the unnecessary color
I will do this however.
I would like to see the scars from the right one in the hair mod from the left. I just don´t know if that is too difficult to connect these 2, because of the shadows from the hanako hair mod
Okay, it is what I have juste done (but I had to erase the shadow because it was too difficult to redraw one without the SVG file).
I also added the hair I cut off the reference. It will make four mods:
  • Just hair
  • Hair + scars
  • Hair + scars + hat
  • Hair + hat
LEVQtlf.png

It is the quickest and also the best solution in my opinion, because it is really difficult to draw a vectorised version of the hat due to the colour gradients. Also, a SWF standalone version of the hat could be used only on a small fraction of the existing hair mods and would look ugly on the other ones because it wouldn't fit.

I am going to upload those mods when I'll have some time, probably tonight.

In the mean time, please remove your attachements that are useless, and rehost your references on an offsite image hosting site (like Imgur) as requested in the Requesting Rules, because it wastes diskspace unnecessarily.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
So every attachment´s should either be removed or moved to imgur by now. The latest mods that you posted looked fantastic as well. I like to thank you for all your work and time you spend in this project. i really appreciate it.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
The latest mods that you posted looked fantastic as well. I like to thank you for all your work and time you spend in this project. i really appreciate it.
You're welcome, and thank you too to have moved attachements to Imgur. I may have seen a bit exigent on this point, but you seemed to be a good requester from the beggining, I just wanted to make it perfect. :wink:
For some (many?) others, I don't even try as they don't even know to say hello, please and thank you...

By the way, I hope that your request for a dynamic hair mod will be fullfiled, but unfortunately, I am afraid that there is only stuntcock and me that are doing SWF hair mods at the moment (Animate CC is needed), and stuntcock do not like to trace hairs unless he has a perfect reference, while I do not do dynamic hair mods because I do not master well both long hair design and the placing of the dynamic strands of hair.
In fact, stuntcock can certainly draw good things out of average refs, and I can certainly learn to make proper dynamic long hair mods, but we both lack a bit of motivation and of will to do so...

Every_Tuesday

Content Creator
I may have seen a bit exigent on this point, but you seemed to be a good requester from the begginning, I just wanted to make it perfect
Well thank you, that is really nice to hear :smile: Its okay i´m not offended or anything, so don´t worry. But i can imagine that some people can be a bit forceful and aren't act polite in their request´s.

By the way, I hope that your request for a dynamic hair mod will be fullfiled, but unfortunately
Yes my request is fulfilled and i am really happy with what you do. Especially on the Hanako hair mod. You did more than i requested and they looking quite good as well.

Thanks to the both of you for helping me out :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.