How bloody do you like it? (1 Viewer)

zakofan999

Avid Affiliate
One of the things that can make or break a zako work in my opinion is having too much or too little gore. I don't really need blood or even explicit death to enjoy myself--Agent Aika is a masterpiece and there's about three confirmed deaths in the entire franchise--but if there's an edged weapon or (non-tranquilizer) gun I prefer there to be some indication. I think the word "immersion" is overused, but I feel a piece loses something when an obviously lethal wound doesn't leave a mark.

Conversely, I cannot stand it when a work is more on the guro side. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with extreme violence except in zako stuff. I find excessive gore in this sort of thing to be just gross, or even silly in the worst cases. A decapitation is about the most I can enjoy; I don't like disembowelment, other limbs being severed, various mutilation, etc.

What do you think? What's your preference, and why?

Stuelpner_Karl

Swell Supporter
"Why?" is a question I can't really explain.

For me, a very important part of the Zako scenario is the demise. That doesn't necessarily mean death, but it means that at the end of the story, the evil henchpeople will pay the price for their decision to work for the wrong side. If they are just knocked out, humiliated, arrested, I imagine them sent to prison for decades. (Or, in an ancient world - "Supermen vs Amazons" comes to mind - sold into slavery.) They often get it worse than the bosses, who may make some sort of a deal.

I have no problem with extreme violence except in zako stuff. I find excessive gore in this sort of thing to be just gross, or even silly in the worst cases.
Extreme violence, especially in a silly way (like in the Troma movies) is perfect for Zako, in my opinion.

Attachments

• Crazy Fight Zako.jpg
    Crazy Fight Zako.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 373

burom

Master of this Domain
I like to have it scale based on how evil the zakos are. One of the best zako games ever, Bloodrayne 2, the enemies are all chaotic evil vampire wannabe cultists at best, therefore for Rayne to turn them into sashimi or whatever is justified.

Verdegris

Avid Affiliate
Honestly, I'm somewhat ambivalent about gore. One of previous jobs heavily desensitized me to extroverted organs and the like.
However, I prefer the amount of mess to be concordant with the rest of the art/story. If the tale thus far has been hyper detailed, then detail on the aftermath of an injury fits. Likewise, if the story has glazed over many minutiae, then handwaving the results of body trauma is appropriate. When there is a schism between the two it rankles me.

To note, guro is not my bag. Mutilation ero doesn't do it for me at all. So situations where the body horror is made front and center as the emphatic focus is not something that interests me.

All that aside, a thing I do have an aversion to is sadistic (regardless of "justification") torture. Inflicting mutilation and disproportionate pain, or focusing on the anguish of a sentient (no matter how much they "deserve it") isn't something I have any appetite for. Again, previous exposure to certain things in a professional capacity has left me with a disaffinity for. Beyound that, in my estimation, deliberate cruelty is the realm of villains... and I don't engage with fiction to observe evil Olympics or stories where the difference between the protagonist and antagonist is who is only barely losing the race to the most atrocities. I can get enough of that in non-fiction.

None of my preferences should be taken as an imprecation of anyone else's preferences. I don't like raw tomato either, but I'm not judging anyone who does.

TLDR; I'm ambivalent so long as the gore level is consistent with everything else and the suffering isn't gratuitous.

Drizzt78

Master of this Domain
I don't care for too much gore - entrails or shit spilling out all over the place, or too much sadistic pleasure on the part of the killer that it turns into a torture scene. Cuts are neat and don't have organs spilling out, bulletholes are basically pinpricks, explosions leave behind a pair of smoking heels and some implants splattered on a wall :=D

As to ryona, torture, humiliation - it can all work, but it has to leave the evil babe still beautiful at the end of it. I sorta get the appeal of ruining a bad girls' looks, but that's the opposite of what I want.

DezRobot

Casual Client
I don't like blood much, but what puts me in a (probably) extreme minority is that I prefer total bodily destruction. Whether it be toku-style exploding after being roughed up, or melting, or fading away into the air, something about nothing being left behind when a cute girl is totally drained of the will to fight really gets me. Maybe it's the thought of trying to hold onto her (or maybe more, ufufu) before she goes...

Drizzt78

Master of this Domain
I don't like blood much, but what puts me in a (probably) extreme minority is that I prefer total bodily destruction. Whether it be toku-style exploding after being roughed up, or melting, or fading away into the air, something about nothing being left behind when a cute girl is totally drained of the will to fight really gets me. Maybe it's the thought of trying to hold onto her (or maybe more, ufufu) before she goes...
I've been linking these two a lot lately (and you need to translate from Japanese) but you'll probably like:

DezRobot

Casual Client
I've been linking these two a lot lately (and you need to translate from Japanese) but you'll probably like:
Looks like there's a lot to pick through, any recommendations?

Drizzt78

Master of this Domain
Particularly for your fetish:

juffjuff

Swell Supporter
I like a lot of blood and gore spilling out of countless zakos. Something about imagining how inconsequential these mooks are, to the point of being extremely and utterly disposal, and ultimately helpless is something that gets me. I like to imagine myself often as one of the poor girls.

Invincible comic spoilers but I guess this is an example of how gory I like it. I'd also like it better if the zakos weren't clones, and simply just poor saps hired to be in doomed positions.

1296649-duplikates_death3.jpg

unnamed.png
RCO015_1469342512.jpg
komodo-dragon-vs-rex-splode.jpg

Drizzt78

Master of this Domain
Particularly for your fetish:
In general, you can count on disappearing (exploding, fading away) bad girls in the Mazon, "Queen's Mercy" and God Mazinger \ Yoname stories.

Ezzy

Master of this Domain
I prefer scenarios with a dead zako girls in the end, so in this case some blood is necessary. I also okay if not all of them were killed, so there always would be an opportunity for them to be shown again. Blood make scenes more realistic. Sometimes wounds are made not very good, even in mainstream movies, so I will not complain if wounds would be hided by something like a hand of the dead girl, who pressed it to the wounded part of her body, and only the blood on her clothes or somewhere else will be shown. I also like nosebeleedings and mouthbleedings, death screams and expressions of pain on zako's faces. When every actress fall without a sound with a pokerface it looks unnatural for me.
If zako died not being shot to her heart or her forehead, which most likely is a quick and painless death, I would like to see her suffering, but not too long. Few seconds will be enough. If I liked suffering as a goal in itself I would watch BDSM movies. Zako should react at the wound. Death scream, expression of pain, finger, pressed the trigger and gun, sending bullets to the sky when zako collapsing. Something like this. No matter how strong is her pain, she will die quickly for a balance.
Sometimes zako dies off-screen and in this cases we can see only their dead bodies. This is the perfect example what I like to see. Blood from the mouth, blood on her clothes, exposed underwear as a bonus. I don't need every part of her clothes to be filled with red, but I also don't want to look carefully to see the blood. Something like this will be fine.
blood.png

IronE

Club Regular
Mine's easy. No blood, no death, no rape, no other major injuries. Just a generic "KO" is plenty.

WarToad

Avid Affiliate
Not really into gore at all, just a few blood splatters for the effects is fine. What I do like is the death moans they make as they meet their demise.

AesVann

Designer
Writer
while i enjoy extreme gore, i am against flesh pile GOO. proper term for me is ero gore. I need to be able to tell who became chop suey.
But I most favor types where zakos are bleeding out. not knocked out, actually bleeding out. So bleeding, wounded, likely to die once camera turns away, but in my sight they have grasp of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.