"General" lines come up blank? (1 Viewer)

Wither

Content Creator
I'm trying to make a dialogue tree, and so far everything is working fine with it... Except for the "general" dialogues. Instead of coming up normally, they show up as a blank box like so:

181d0623bc.png

Here's what the line looks like in my editor:

00f5bbf353.png

And here it is in script form:

Code:
general:"This is a test line to see if general lines activate"{"mood":"Angry"}

I'm currently using the Loader v5.45, sby's Dialoguepatch v2 and Pim_gd's DialogueActions v3.06.

What am I doing wrong, exactly?

Macnagum

Avid Affiliate
Tested with the same config, the line is read if the girl is angry, otherwise no blank box.
Try with Pim_gd' DialogueChecker.

aztlan

Casual Client
Does angry clench teeth preventing Her form speaking? (I think there are some mods that force this or remove it.)

Try your lines with "style":"thought" to see if it is a problem with her being unable to speak at the moment.

Wither

Content Creator
Okay, so I tweaked my stuff and looked over it on the dialogue checker, it did come up with some errors (like double brackets and lack of capitalization) but nothing I could trace back to a blank dialogue box.

In fact, I actually got rid of all the "general" lines in my dialogue, and the boxes are still appearing. I suspected it might have been the comment lines in the dialogue script I had written, but even with those taken out and the dialogue condensed up, the boxes are still appearing.

I also have a mod that disables teeth clenching, so I doubt that's the issue.

Also worth noting: This issue is happening in both the loader and the default SDTView attachment Human_Toilet_DEV.txt

I've attatched both the condensed and uncondensed files, if anybody wants to look over them and tell me what the hell is happening, that'd be appreciated.

View attachment Human_Toilet_DEV.txt
View attachment Human_Toilet_DEV_condensed.txt

Last edited by a moderator:

Wither

Content Creator
Macnagum said:
Few things (no "set" in initial_settings, missing quote lines 177+, adding a [ANGRY_MOOD] trigger line 300 for test...), it should work now.

Thanks! But I'm still getting the issue.

Just to test, I loaded a different dialogue file from somebody else and it came up totally clean. I might try pasting my lines into a different file, see if that fixes anything. But at the moment, I'm still getting the weird blank boxes.

EDIT:

Okay, this seems to be two issues, not 1.

Firstly, the intro seems to be the culprit for the blank boxes. I removed the intro entirely and it fixed the problem of them showing up. Will have to play around more to see what, exactly, is wrong with it.

But even with that fixed, the "General" lines are still not playing... Like, at all, and I have no idea why.

Nevermind, I found a workaround: I changed "General" to "IntroTrue" and now the lines are all playing correctly. Thank you for fixing up those other issues, though!

Macnagum

Avid Affiliate
Maybe helpful, maybe not, I post anyway :

- In your original dialogue, the general lines are not read - nothing appears - because these lines were read only if the girl has angry mood ( {"mood":"angry"} is placed). The intro lines shows a a blank box almost for the same reason, because if the girl has not angry mood, the trigger line 78 leads nowhere (line 79 not read) - and in this case the game shows always a blank box.

- Maybe that the linetype start:"" of DialogueAction is what you want to do with introfalse:"" (a text that starts automatically with your dialog). If you replace the "general" lines by "introtrue", no lines "general" will be read after the first deepthroat.

Voilà voilà ^^

Wither

Content Creator
Macnagum said:
Maybe helpful, maybe not, I post anyway :

- In your original dialogue, the general lines are not read - nothing appears - because these lines were read only if the girl has angry mood ( {"mood":"angry"} is placed). The intro lines shows a a blank box almost for the same reason, because if the girl has not angry mood, the trigger line 78 leads nowhere (line 79 not read) - and in this case the game shows always a blank box.

- Maybe that the linetype start:"" of DialogueAction is what you want to do with introfalse:"" (a text that starts automatically with your dialog). If you replace the "general" lines by "introtrue", no lines "general" will be read after the first deepthroat.

Voilà voilà ^^

Actually managed to figure out why they weren't playing through some general experimentation:

Turns out they weren't playing because I hadn't progressed far enough in the "scene". Once I got to the point where I had achieved a full deepthroat on "her", it started playing the "general" lines and stopped playing the "introtrue" lines, which allows me even more range than I originally thought.

So, I'd say it all worked out pretty well.
Thanks all the same!

Wither

Content Creator
aztlan said:
Ah -yes. General is only supposed to play after the first deepthroat, Intro before then.

Although now it seems I have a new problem...

I've made one full dialogue sequence for the "Angry" mood, and everything works as it should. But now I'm moving on to a "Normal" mood sequence.

Intro works, post intro lines work, and reaction lines seem to be working thus far, but the General lines for the Normal mood don't activate, and depending on where they're placed in the script, they seem to block other lines below them, which makes no sense.

I don't know what's wrong with them seeing as I literally copy+pasted them from the "Angry" section, then changed the Mood variable to "Normal" and changed the text to fit. But now they just won't work and are messing up my whole thing.

Macnagum

Avid Affiliate
If the bug depends on the position of the lines in the script, it probably comes from a quote missing or extra. Launch DialogueChecker with only "check syntax", it should find something.

Wither

Content Creator
Macnagum said:
If the bug depends on the position of the lines in the script, it probably comes from a quote missing or extra. Launch DialogueChecker with only "check syntax", it should find something.

Huh, there were a few syntax errrors! Thanks! Didn't even know that could mess up the lines playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.