Commissioned Mods?

eh?

• Cool

• Meh

• Not cool

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Hacker Known As Snow

Content Creator
I just wanted to get everyone's two cents on commissions.

Everything has been pretty egalitarian so far but we have very few artists still around and very few requests are being filled.

Nunya

Potential Patron
Interesting thought. I guess I have mixed feelings about it and just now seeing this post would have to give it some thought. I suppose as long as things are kept reasonable, why not? Although, obviously, "free" would be better. In my case, a "collaboration" seems more along my lines. I am fairly handy with gimp and could probably create some of the graphic work, I just don't have the software or a working knowledge of flash to, put a whole package together.

SyntaxTerror

Staff member
Content Creator
I think that paying for resquests would be problematic and unfair for modders, and finally detrimental to mod creation.

Anyway, most mods take hours to make, so asking 5 or 10 euros/dollars seems like an insult to me. If I really needed money, I'd go do extra hours in McDonald's, it would be more efficient...
Also, what about modders that make mods without requests and these mods get dowloaded much more that some obscure request?

Examples:
random furry $#!+ (requested, 2-3 hours of work + 30 minutes cos requester didn't like the ears), 837 dowloads since June 2016.
Rem (done on my own, 4-5 hours of work), 4,436 downloads since June 2016.
animtools (done by sby, 28th version, probably dozens of hours of work, or even more), 132,369 downloads since February 2016.

Also, what about helping new users or making tutorials so newbies can make mods themselves?

An option could be to be paid for each download from the ad revenues of the site (I have really no idea how much the total could be).
With this, I could buy a pair of socks, and sby the latest Maserati. :tongue:

Anyway, I don't need new socks, so I'll continue to provide my mods for free...
Bringing money would only bring problems in my opinion, but every modder is free to ask to be paid or even adding Patreon or PayPal links to his mods or signature (I am thinking about it for a long time indeed...).

Last edited:

Hentai_Master_Hand_44

Content Creator
Quite interesting indeed. A question of state of mind in general. If the money aspect arise then its close to become industry. Passion! That is the modders fuel in the 1st place, this will burn away as cash comes in. Instead money will become the passion like almost everywhere. That would be a pity in my opinion. Even on a commissions base its still the same idea.

Its the best part in humans to do something for free and share with others, just for the joy and enthusiasm. And the cherry on top here is, if someone makes a request and this is granted by one with the skills. Why destroy something so awesome? I would even say unique.

Sure its sounding dramatic what I type and passion does not rule out gaining money, true. But the point is money will become the main fuel if not instandly then down the road.

Trading true passion/enthusiasm for gaining money? "Not cool" from me ;)

antsstyle

Content Creator
While it's not for me to say whether it would be good or not - given I do not regularly post here - I do think it would be a good idea for there to be more discussion and consideration of this topic.

As noted by others, there are comparatively few active modders and fulfilled requests in recent times; I suspect a large part of this is down to SDT's rather restrictive style, as in past times requesting something with anime features and perfect 90 degree refs would be easy for anime characters. Now that most requests in that genre are likely already fulfilled, many requests that remain and come in now are likely to fall into the "it's not possible to find perfect refs or an anime style ref" bracket, making it much harder and/or longer for mods to fulfil those requests due to the extra work / art skill involved, especially with regards to costumes.

It's possible that making a commission sub-forum or some other solution might help encourage new modders to hone those skills (if they want to), it's not mutually exclusive with being enthuastic about modding.

SyntaxTerror

Staff member
Content Creator
If requesters are really wanting a mod to be made and are willing to pay for it, there are many online solutions to hire drawers and even flash coders, like freelancer.com, where one can hire flash drawers for ridiculous wages.

If one thinks that paying for mods on undertow.club will magically make new modders appear, or will suddenly make any mod be made, one's going to be very disappointed.

Samoth

Content Creator
As noted by others, there are comparatively few active modders and fulfilled requests in recent times; I suspect a large part of this is down to SDT's rather restrictive style, as in past times requesting something with anime features and perfect 90 degree refs would be easy for anime characters.
I'd also argue that it's just overall popularity and a potential lack thereof; over time, casual users probably stop using the site (and as far as I'm personally aware it's not like there's ads out there for SDT to begin with). Sure, some people keep on going, but not everyone will. SDT has definitely passed its heyday, and Adobe discontinuing Flash Player (at least within browsers) certainly won't help.

I've admittedly also entertained the thought of commissions in my head previously but it ends up falling down to an issue of cost, sort of like Syntax's first remark. If the cost is too low, it becomes worse than working minimum wage in terms of money vs. time. If the cost is too high, it becomes an issue of "is this really worth the cost" since I can't help but mentally compare character mods to fighting game character DLC (which would end up likely being on that 5-10 range for 1 character, which loops back to the first case) since both are functionally the same idea.

antsstyle

Content Creator
It depends. Not being a modder, I can't speak on how much time for example the average static hair or costume mod takes, but I would imagine that pricing them based on an estimate of hours would work fine. I can't imagine many people would prefer to work at McDonalds versus sitting at home working on an SDT mod if the wage wasn't much different; assuming say, a rate of $10 an hour as an example, a mod that takes 10 hours would cost $100.

That said, I imagine there would not be many takers, but at the same time - I don't see why that matters.

If I use Syntax's hair mods as an example, that'd make them around $40-50, which isn't that expensive if one particularly wants a mod. It'd be interesting to know how long costumes take, so that we can see how practical it is to think about the concept of commissioning them, as I don't know any data on that.

Top Bottom