tv_512.png

Cartoons

The_Amazing_world_of_Gumball.png

Rick_and_Morty.png

Gravity_Falls.png

Lolirock_logo.png

Ever_After_High.png

Super_Hero_Girls.png

This background, Harley's room (below), was edited significantly. In order to create it, the source image was cut apart and elements were rearranged/scaled/touched up on.

Inside_Out.png

The_Loud_House.png

SDMystery_Incorporated.png

The_Looney_Tunes_Show.png

Ugly_Americans.png

moonbeamcity_sdcc_sizzle_02.jpg

Metalocalypse.png

English_Pok_mon_logo_svg.png

ANIME
Dragon_Ball.png

Last edited:

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
You did a shit tone of good work on all of them.
That's true. Really good backgrounds.
Thank you for the comments.

My backgrounds are tested with the default SDT setup; no mods/loader. If a background seems off; let me know and I'll try to fix it.

THE PROCESS
I tried to convert the highest resolution pictures I could find. ALL backgrounds are PNG format and have a lot of detail in them that are compressed to the standard 700x825 resolution.
HOWEVER, I also wanted the backgrounds to be relatively accurate to the size of the her/him SDT figures; so I scaled a lot of images up. The stretching of some backgrounds resulted in created some pixelation which I tried to fix with a blur effect. Please let me know if a background you downloaded is too blurry for SDT use. I will try to fix it or remove it from the collection.
I am all about that QUALITY.

*This means that having a bunch of my backgrounds on your computer will take up CONSIDERABLE space.
(On average, 1 background is close to 1mb)*
So it adds up, I suggest keeping a (backup) repository on a flashdrive.
I plan to upload my backgrounds to the archive in the future; pretty soon if I feel people actually like them and want them.

GOT A REQUEST/QUESTION?

If anyone wants a variant of one of my backgrounds like a different color scheme or want to request a specific background from a series for me to put up here; you can PM me instead of asking in the thread.

IN PROGRESS

I plan to post up some realistic i.e photos and more original idea backgrounds so people don't have to resort to (generic) anime VN backgrounds. Also, I am planning to add commentary to each set in my collections (spoilered of course for space) so that people can have an idea of the type of backgrounds if they aren't familiar with a series. Furthermore, shadow variants are coming so your figures aren't daywalker vampires having a BJ in public unless they are; then you're set.

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
Here are some screenshots to elaborate on my first post:

EXAMPLE 1

As much as I like that the Mystery Mobile is in this one (good for Scooby-Doo characters), the visible jpeg artifacts and image quality detracts from my enjoyment of using this for SDT. Also, the color scheme is too uniform (too orange) making it hard to distinguish what the location is. It doesn't look that much better zoomed out as well.
EXAMPLE 2

This one has a WB style water tower which I really like; making it good for DC/WB characters i.e superheros like the Justice League. Unfortunately, I had a hard time keeping the tower visible while scaling it to make it seem believable. Notice how tiny the ledge of the roof is and it looks hilariously bad zoomed in. Also the other skyscrapers are too flat really killing perspective. I might try to rebuild this background from different elements to get the same idea (city building rooftop) just better executed.
EXAMPLE 3

The inside of a ship during a storm. The problem with pictures like this is how enclosed they are which makes zooming in look very weird. When the view is up close the HIM figure gets tall really fast . This makes the background elements props like doors,chairs, windows, and other objects seem extremely tiny and the figures seem like giants. This is the test for what makes a good background for me and most fail. It doesn't help that the background's vanishing point is off to the the side rather than dead center which skews the perspective even further.
EXAMPLE 4

This is an example of what I think is a good background. Even zoomed in this close, the perspective is still relatively accurate giving the background a sense of depth. It really helps the immersion. Its a really good alley pic; probably my favorite in The Looney Tunes Collections.

These are mostly my opinions on what I feel makes a suitable background for SDT.
As a perfectionist, I am tempted to delete the collections and redo all the backgrounds so people don't waste space on their hard drives (myself included).​

Macnagum

Avid Affiliate
Great jobs in any points, quality & variety !

IMHO the shortest way for create backgrounds with realistic perspective is as explained in the SyntaxTerror"s tutorial :
  1. Find a picture with similar perspective as this grind.
  2. Verify the scale with adding this template on top of the image.
  3. If not to scale, resize if possible until found the right scale.
  4. Cuts a 700x825 and save.

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
Great jobs in any points, quality & variety !

IMHO the shortest way for create backgrounds with realistic perspective is as explained in the SyntaxTerror"s tutorial :
  1. Find a picture with similar perspective as this grind.
  2. Verify the scale with adding this template on top of the image.
  3. If not to scale, resize if possible until found the right scale.
  4. Cuts a 700x825 and save.
Unfortunately, I saw the template in the tutorial section AFTER making several of the collections. Which is why the early backgrounds suffer problems. This is why I plan to redo a lot of them if possible. I know that in Photoshop you can distort/skew perspective , but I wonder if that is possible to get the same effect in Paintdotnet.

AssassinAzn

Avid Affiliate
Taking a break from posting on the forum (including updating this thread) as I am going through all the old stuff I downloaded from the old site and organizing my SDT folders. I will check periodically though.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello AssassinAzn and congratulations for the good work you did.
I know that everyone has his own way to classify things, but I think it may be better if your backgrounds were sorted by categories (bedroom, classroom, store, etc.) than by the cartoon/videogame they come from.
I know that in Photoshop you can distort/skew perspective , but I wonder if that is possible to get the same effect in Paintdotnet.
Actually, it is possible to distord perspective with almost any raster graphic editor, and as far as I know, the result will be the same. Look at this corridor distorded with MSPaint and with Paint.net :

Zooming in shows there is no difference:
In paint.net, there is also the tool Rotate/Zoom (in the Layers menu or Ctrl+Shift+Z):
2c5376490308019.jpg
Unfortunately, I do not really like this tool for what need to be done for perspective in the case of SDT backgrounds and I find easier to only change the height/width ratio.

Changing this ratio can only be done with high resolution images if you want a good result: pixels do not like to be stretched or compressed, so the bigger the lines are, the less they will suffer from the distortion.
The main problem with this technique is that some objects can look really strange if they are too distorded. However, in many anime backgrounds, objects already look strange when you compare their proportions and size to others (for example, many chairs are "compressed" and too low for someone to sit on it).
Some other objects like plants or rocks can be much more distorded, but remember that the human brain corrects the informations he get from the eyes to reconstruct reality: a 4:3 movie can be watched in 16:9 without too much inconvenience.

I believe the best is to take my tool to see the result ingame and try to do something decent.

ModGuy also made a wonderful tool (that bugs a little...) to preview backgrounds directly on your computer: Preview Window (click to download).
134d9b490018434.jpg
This tool consists of a resisable window one can move on the screen to preview the result of a background in SDT. It is good to use another tool like DeskPins to pin this window tomost (included in the archive above).
The tool is a little buggy: it is sometimes difficult to grab its window. To pin it with DeskPins, it is best to do it on the Desktop.

Continue the good work! :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.