Any interest? New game idea (sci-fi tactical play-by-post starring zako) (1 Viewer)

puca

Club Regular
I had a new idea bouncing around and I wanted to see if there was any interest. It'll sort of be a play-by-post X-COM starring a zako-like squad, who will probably suffer a bunch of messy deaths!

Your character is part of a Zakolite Imperial Expeditionary Force, sent out to subjugate worlds in the name of the Imperium. Everybody will be controlling one or two characters in a simple top-down tactical game. You'll customize your character and kit her out. Characters have low hp, but also use a Darkest Dungeon-style deathblow system. For those unfamiliar, when your character hits 0 hp, they don't die. Instead, they enter a vulnerable state where any further hits have a chance to kill them, but it's always a chance - really lucky characters could survive indefinitely in this state. If the character fails a death save, we'll roll on some wonderfully messy crit tables. Luckily, the character's clone will be waiting at home base, ready for the next mission. Experience will carry over (through the magic of SCIENCE!), but gear will need to be recovered - for the Imperium, soldiers are cheaper than equipment.

In terms of posting speed, I'm thinking of having players take their turns (in no particular order) over three days or so, then I'll respond with the enemy turn. We've all got lives, so this'll give everyone (including myself) a good chance to post and take their turns. Any players that don't manage to take their turn on time will have it taken by me or another player. The three days will also be an opportunity to RP.

So, sound interesting to anyone? I'm looking for 3 - 8 players. Lemme know below!

Mentos

Club Regular
Absolutely! Love the Zako RPGs we did but updates always seem to fall through. I'm definitely down.

nonniemouse

Casual Client
Could be interesting. Are you planning for the enemies to be female zako as well? I'm much more interested in M/F content, so I'd prefer to play a male character (who's just as prone to being horrifically murdered), if that's something we're okay with.

puca

Club Regular
Could be interesting. Are you planning for the enemies to be female zako as well? I'm much more interested in M/F content, so I'd prefer to play a male character (who's just as prone to being horrifically murdered), if that's something we're okay with.

I was thinking of having the enemies be either female zako (with occasional "champions") or monstrous. My preference is F/F but so long as the other players are ok with male characters, it's fine by me!

That's the minimum. Glad you guys are interested! Give me a couple of days to post the rules and character options, then we'll get started. More players are welcome of course! I'll probably draw the line at 8 players max for now.

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
Count me in. I love X-Com and I love the sound of this idea :)

Would the characters be uniform like soldiers or would everyone have unique designs and abilities? :P I had the possible concept for an Android-esque like character not far from the concept of Bishop from Aliens. A female that looks human and for all intentional purposes has a human-esque body. When the body is terminated her mind simply transfers into a device or the such.

Another concept is a woman who was a really bad criminal, who has done some horrific war crimes and the like. Her sentence is to basically be forced to fight for this squad and die over and over again. She is a very capable fighter however so she tries her best not to get killed if she can help it :P

Big-ronso

Avid Affiliate
For me it is good to have a male character in the group, I think it might be fun. For the rest look patiently the system!

puca

Club Regular
Count me in. I love X-Com and I love the sound of this idea :)

Would the characters be uniform like soldiers or would everyone have unique designs and abilities? :P I had the possible concept for an Android-esque like character not far from the concept of Bishop from Aliens. A female that looks human and for all intentional purposes has a human-esque body. When the body is terminated her mind simply transfers into a device or the such.

Another concept is a woman who was a really bad criminal, who has done some horrific war crimes and the like. Her sentence is to basically be forced to fight for this squad and die over and over again. She is a very capable fighter however so she tries her best not to get killed if she can help it :P

I think I'll leave android bodies out for now, but I am planning to have a variety of character options available - things like training, traits like leadership or toughness, cybernetic enhancements, and maybe even psionics (though in the spirit of zako, no one will have that many abilities individually, and psionics will have a chance of backfiring spectacularly).

As for mind transfer, I figured your characters would have some sort of implant that would transfer at least part of their memories to the next body (ie justification for exp gain). The exact amount of transfer is up to the individual player.

Once we run through a couple of missions I'll see about new options like android bodies!

Last edited:

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
Tis no worries. Was just throwing feelers out there really and concepts. Would love to know more about the world and what will be in store for the squad. :)

puca

Club Regular
I thought we had 2 or 3 hp XD for me is the same :)

Heh well 1d6 hp was what I was thinking, but I was wondering whether you folks wanted more control over that sort of thing. It would still be in the same overall range if it was customizable.

puca

Club Regular
I've posted a discussion thread and some character creation rules. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

I'd also like to start talking about what our zako troops are going to like as well! I have a couple of ideas and I'll post some sketches soon.

puca

Club Regular
Also, since we're at 5 players, and it wouldn't be zako if you weren't at least a swarm, feel free to make 2 characters, or send off two clones of the same character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.