Projectiles (1 Viewer)

Mardion

Potential Patron
Projectiles are often found in fighting games and consist of beams of energy/fire/bullets etc that one character "fires" towards another to damage them from a distance - Ryu's hadouken is probably the most famous of all.

So, I was playing StudioS' Strip Fighter 4 right now, which is a fighting game composed almost entirely of a scantily-clothed (if at all) female cast, which screams ryona/catfight from miles away, and I was surprised when I noticed that even the cooler-looking opponents tend to just sit at a medium/long distance and fire away projectiles. Which brings me here with this question :

Am I the only one that finds them an extreme turn-off in ryona fights? I mean, there are tons of things the attacker can do to the defending female, and he/she opts to just sit at a distance and kill her without even touching her, does anyone find that interesting?

True Succubus

Potential Patron
I use to like Tekken 2's Angel's beam attack on Anna. I think its quite good as long as its not the only thing used.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Um... I don't know... Normally the only fighting game I play is SC4, and Algol is the only one with projectiles. He's annoying though, so I guess I agree with you. I don't know if it's a turn off.

H

handofdoz

it depends on how the projectile is used, i think succubus's cum projectile is amusing, but yes most of the time its a buzz joy. on a side note Dissidia had a good projectile vs melee system.

L

Lithim

I guess it might be just because the more common type of ryona is where the person somewhat physically attacks the other person and just attacking from a range using a projectile just does not feel the same. Plus I agree that is not interesting especially if it is repeatedly done.

noice1

Potential Patron
Not much of a fighter fan, but I do enjoy ones with ryona. Projectiles..yeah, it depends. In this arena, ryona means control and power, to me, so a projectile or energy attack of some kind can still work. I will say nothing even comes close to a good combo or a grab, so, I like to see projectiles used sparingly or if they are done, to be done with some ryona/suffering in context.

H

handofdoz

dissidia's projectiles attacks, at-least for ultemecia, were actually pretty brutal. they were things like magic arrows raining from the sky, or a magic gatteling gun, or homing magic axes and a energy mortar. i liked them, though i would have preferred a better target.

S

shiroryu

If projectiles are only part of the arsenal, and their effects are more brutal than say just a simple hit, they can work.

The best projectile attacks are the "trap" ones, IMO. For example, Gowcaizer has an old monk character who launches a telekinetic fist. If it hits, it can be followed up by a launch and piledriver - all telekinetic! I loved going with Shaia on this one :P

Erevatju(Evil Zone) practically had a class of trap moves for every character. Sigh, I wish they would remake or have a sequel for that game. It's dated on the PSX now. The appeal of the trap move is that it leaves the woman helpless while the attacker ponders what to do next. :)

H

handofdoz

If projectiles are only part of the arsenal, and their effects are more brutal than say just a simple hit, they can work.

The best projectile attacks are the "trap" ones, IMO. For example, Gowcaizer has an old monk character who launches a telekinetic fist. If it hits, it can be followed up by a launch and piledriver - all telekinetic! I loved going with Shaia on this one :P

Erevatju(Evil Zone) practically had a class of trap moves for every character. Sigh, I wish they would remake or have a sequel for that game. It's dated on the PSX now. The appeal of the trap move is that it leaves the woman helpless while the attacker ponders what to do next. :)

ultemecia has a move that stops time, and you can follow it with any move you want, is that what you mean?

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
It really does depend on what type of attack it is, and how it's used. In normal fighting games, it can be a turn off, but it can also depend on the animation of it. Such as stuff from Dragonball Z Budokai 3: There's a move in which Frenzia in his level 3 form uses his fingers to shoot small beams. In the animation, the character would be hit with each beam, each hit reacting to the shot as if they were stabs to their body.

Now, while that is a beam attack though, it is from a 'grabbing' like animation (you start off by getting close and use an uppercut). Some of the better projectile attacks are the ones which animations that follow suit.

I am personally into weapon-like ryona also, so one of my fav. things in MK2 was to use Kitnata (spelling) and just slice up Melinna or her with her fans, as throwing them would make them have their backing up animation while being sliced up. It was pretty sexy.

Mardion

Potential Patron
The guys in the last posts have a good point, there are some projectile moves which actually produce interesting ryona, like ones that freeze the girl in place and set her up for something good which she can only helplessly watch unfold. And I also had a thing for Kitana's steel fans as they don't just hit the target and leave, they stay there and rip her to shreds first! Those interesting ones are the vast minority though.

There's a move in which Frenzia in his level 3 form uses his fingers to shoot small beams. In the animation, the character would be hit with each beam, each hit reacting to the shot as if they were stabs to their body.

Wouldn't it be more interesting, however, if he had formed an energy sword/fist/whatever strikes your fancy, and stabbed her repeatedly from up-close with it, showing those same animations?

True Succubus

Potential Patron
Wouldn't it be more interesting, however, if he had formed an energy sword/fist/whatever strikes your fancy, and stabbed her repeatedly from up-close with it, showing those same animations?

I have the lastest PS3 Dragonball Z and it does have a BIT of Ryona element, but an extremely small amount, like with what you mentioned about the sword aspect, the camera is always on the person doing the sword attack.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster

It all depends. There was attack that is a huge energy sword was stabbed into yoru character, and then lifted up which was very nice, however for attacks like Freniza I really enjoyed watching my character dance the dance of pain. Another one of my fav. attacks involves Gogeta (I think?) where he throws a a shining small ball at your character, hitting the stomach, which your character reacts to pain then a release of damage. One of the better ones as it also involves watching your character panting in pain too (I think).

I have the lastest PS3 Dragonball Z and it does have a BIT of Ryona element, but an extremely small amount, like with what you mentioned about the sword aspect, the camera is always on the person doing the sword attack.

Which is why I go back to Budokai 3, or I should say Infinitie Worlds, where there are more animation focused stuff than quick actions. Raging Blast and BT3 all have some nice animations though, but their usually not for showcase like Budokai 3/Infinite Worlds is. There are attacks like the ones that freezes your character with shocking elements in it.

Also, the thing about the Raging Blast and BT3 ones is because their usually a much more faster pace gameplay, where if a big energy attack happens and it hits, it gives the person who used it time to get ready for the next attack. I reference back to BT3 though, as not having played Raging Blast, ther eare alot of rushing (grab like attacks) that has some nice animation in them. I do wish characters like Spopovich had alot more grabbing animations...but then, in that game everyone only had 3 special attacks. He would fit alot better in the Budokai series.

Spopovich8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.