Dose it take away from a single player pc rpg game to know you can cheat at it? Like debug? (1 Viewer)

Darc

Potential Patron
Dose it take away from a single player pc rpg game to know you can cheat at it? Like debug?

Not just skyrim, or like that, but any game with a debug?

I mean cheating too much ruins a play through...but if you don't cheat, (knowing you can by typing a single thing into debug), dose that not make it all seem somehow a pointless thing to do it right?

I mean when you complete it? So having the debugs even if you don't use them every time ruins the game'(s) just by being there?

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
It depends on game type and enjoyment. I use cheats to enhance enjoyment but if the enjoyment is from beating challenge like Mario jump puzzles then no, I don't want to cheat. Having them there doesn't matter, I won't use them because I like the feeling of beating it and I can keep coming back to try. I like slowly master difficult games.

Game like Skyrim, sometimes I need money or something annoying. Like 1 more iron ingot. I just cheat because they not hard to get just annoying. I only have so much time for games and little inconvenince all the time add up to too much waste.

There are cheat and exploit in almost all game. It does not affect me if it is single player. I game on pc... cheats and hacks everywhere. If I care that this exist i have no games to play

Big annoyance in multiplayer games.

fleet

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
RM Moderator
Content Creator
This depends on what's fun or enjoyable for the player or not.
I've played games where I was unable to beat the first level boss, even when using all 'normal' means (such as using recommended tactics and walkthroughs). After a week of that, I ended up using a 'cheat' to defeat the boss and play the game.
Playing without the cheat resulted in frustration (not fun/enjoyment). The game would have been 'ruined' for me (and $40 US dollars wasted) without the cheat.
It's not 'wrong' way to use a cheat in a single player game if it enables a person to enjoy the game. It's a matter of individual preference.
If a person feels cheating ruins a game, that's his opinion, and he's entitled to it. If others choose to use a cheat in a single player game that's their right, and they are entitled to do so.

I don't play player versus games, and I do not condone using cheats in them.

Very respectfully,
fleet

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
I've played games where I was unable to beat the first level boss, even when using all 'normal' means (such as using recommended tactics and walkthroughs). After a week of that, I ended up using a 'cheat' to defeat the boss and play the game.

I am curious which game this is. For me it remind of my time in Ninja Gaiden on xbox.
4Nrxkga.jpg

Just the image is enough to break my spirit. I try over and over and over. I beat him by wall drop exploit. Funny how I didn't find rest of the game as bad. Maybe I got better grasp of battle system by then.

Darc

Potential Patron
Mostly I mean stat building rpgs, it annoys me that one can start with max stats through debug. I mean I like building stats, uping skills as early as I can by using reg tricks and skills as an achievement but its annoying to know you could just type something.

You see I know what was intended by unlocking debug in some games, play it as intended then again with debug, but what if you want to revisit the game 6 months or a year later?

Let me use an analogy by comparing a single player rpg to a mmo I quit playing:

In rift I choose the most difficult solo path to attaining the best armor, as a mark of honor within the game so it would not be depend on others or chance but my own efforts.

Half way there earning it, and guess what? I could just buy it on the market place? If I spent 6 months earning it, everyone else could just buy it, I could myself...That was the gameplay then you see, getting it?

So I am standing there feeling like the worlds biggest jackass, and I have never played rift again. I mean it...that was two years ago....that's sort of the same principle, well almost, I mean with the debug in another context.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Having the cheats available doesn't ruin the experience, using them does.
If the game is about the destination rather than the journey, then it's likely a piss poor game to begin with.

stuntcock

Content Creator
The game was the first one in 'The Witcher' series.
That's an interesting example. A few reviewers have pointed out (Super Bunnyhop for example) that the game forces a certain amount of roleplaying. If you don't imitate a set of in-character behaviors (i.e. learn opponents' weaknesses, brew and consume elixirs, confront enemies at the appropriate time of day, use the appropriate sword) then you're supposed to lose.

The character himself is a cheater. He employs lies and blackmail to get what he wants. He isn't strong enough or fast enough to defeat many of his adversaries in a fair contest. He tries to fight at night because he can see in darkness and most of his opponents can't. He often wins by exploiting arcane rules (Striga bossfight? Geralt just hid in a box and pretended to be dead until she despawned. Bruxa? Use love-prophecy thingie as a distraction, then backstab for massive damage. Djinn? Didn't bother fighting it; used inappropriate exorcism instead.)

But then again Witcher 1 had awkward controls and poor optimization. Even if you did everything correctly, frame drops may screw up your attack timing to the point that you can't even complete a basic sword combo.

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
Pretty sure the djinn thing was an accident. He didn't know the exorcism was wrong. Which was funny when I read it.

Witcher 1 was an interesting game. I think balance not so good. Combat was tricky. Lot of reading and exploiting weakness. If you go blindly it is hard. Alchemy very strong and necessity on some fights. Design try to be true to book I think is worthy of respect but not always good for gameplay. Even Witcher 3 gameplay poor because Geralt spin like dancer when I want him to step forward and cut down enemy. :confused:

Different priority I think and witcher game strength not in combat so using cheat to get past annoying combat is fine with me.

Darc

Potential Patron
What I like about Geralt from what I hear is he is not stereotypical charmed,blade, angel type, which in my view is total hypocrisy and makes me gag.

I also like that hes also not very pc, which was what I expected. Hes realistic given the setting and story.

I might actually play these games but what holds me back is skyrim. While I like the dawnguard dlc in skyrim, the legion, dark brotherhood and the idea of Nordic culture,the aesthetic is wrong, and not very attractive.

I like what you can do in the game but its not pleasing to the eye.I have heard the witcher series is very gritty like that. People have said, think skyrim....which is a game requiring you to mod every aspect of it, like build your own game. I like the freedom that gives you but...well, you know.

I like my integrity, and realism to come from story and character rp, not a base and gritty look. The look should be fantasy in my opinion, or rather idealized reality.

NiteGuardian

A Fighter
Content Creator
I feel it varies depending on the game and if you allow yourself to use the cheats, as well as which you use, for example my Elder Scrolls playthroughs:
I run Mods that allow me to skip the intro and will give me really nice armor/weapons, plus I give myself a one-time starting cash payout using console commands.
But I also make myself wait to get the custom armor/weapons until after I find ones with near the same stats, and I have a lot of Mods that add more enemies or makes them smarter, and I will move an enemy that spawns in a wall with console commands to give it a fair chance at me.

So for me, "cheating" in the way I use it, actually enhances the Gameplay, other examples include a cheat that makes health be 2x, 3x, etc but does it for both the player and AI, I have enjoyed before as it just makes battles longer.

ZRI

Avid Affiliate
Personally I like figuring out ways to exploit bugs in the games, rather than typing in some cheat code.

Take this for example: today I was playing a game I found out about on this site, Lewdest Labyrinth (HERE)
There's a bug on the levels where your character can slip around on ice: If an enemy appears while you are sliding on ice, you can sometimes keep walking around the map while in battle. Normally that's not possible.

I use that to cheat my way back to the save point, then heal after the fight is over.

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
who play skyrim without using mod or console to modify encumber? people who don't know of this option maybe. bad mechanic make game less fun to playing. i cheat this part in every elder scroll game.

Hentai_Master_Hand_44

Content Creator
Its good to have an option to cheat/debug. Since having more possibilities is always a good thing I'd say. Its up to oneself if you consider it a bad thing. Personally I want to avoid using a cheat option since I like the feeling to have achived something making it to the end of a game, that is taken away if I use cheats.

A cheat is also a question how you define it. If you use a mod that adds to the experience and maybe even raise the difficulty is that a cheat? Question is when is a cheat a cheat? If a cheat makes a game easier, yes?

When it comes to multiplayer, if one has an option others have not its unfair. There using a cheat is against sportsmanship. In singleplayer all goes.

horatiojones80

Content Creator
No way. GTAV is really boring without cheats. Sometimes in 'serious' RPGs like Pillars of Eternity I'll give myself god mode and go on a massive rampage only to load the game before i did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.