Could someone do a quick, simple little edit for me? (1 Viewer)

Gary the Hot Soup

Potential Patron
I'd like to ask for a rather simple, small request, an edit on an existing mod. There is this tail mod, of which I found in an archive, and I seem to be having trouble with using it alongside another mod I have. The mod attaches a tail which is colored by the value of the skin color. Now, one of my mods changes the body, and in turn the default skin color.
All I'm asking is for someone to change the default color of the tail to a specific value. #F7CE5A or R:247 G:206 B:90. I would do this all myself, but I'm stupid. Very much so.
This is my first time posting, and I apologize if I have done anything incorrectly in terms of a request, or other posting behavior. I will attach the mod in question, and I will try to further explain the details if necessary. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

SDTMod-tailonly-v01.swf
122.9 KB · Views: 143

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hello Gary. Welcome to the Undertow forum.

I'd like to ask for a rather simple, small request, an edit on an existing mod.
That's reasonable. I've moved your thread to the Revisions area, which is dedicated to such projects.

There is this tail mod, of which I found in an archive
It was made by @Alohade.

The mod attaches a tail which is colored by the value of the skin color. Now, one of my mods changes the body, and in turn the default skin color.
That's an inevitable consequence when something is classified as a "BODY" mod. In will be influenced by changes in the skin's HSL tint.

We can counteract that effect via Loader scripting, but it would probably be easier to just re-classify the tail as a clothing mod.

All I'm asking is for someone to change the default color of the tail to a specific value. #F7CE5A or R:247 G:206 B:90.
Okay. Give me an hour. The animation was damaged by decompilation and I'll need to rebuild some of the intermediate frames. I'll probably add shape hints to the whole thing because 50 keyframes is stupid.

I would do this all myself, but I'm stupid. Very much so.
Please don't say that.

Some aspects of SDT modding require cleverness, but much of it relies on diligence or patience instead. Modders are usually looking for test reports; artists are always interested in feedback; dialog writers usually appreciate criticism. The modding community can benefit from useful suggestions, even if they're not aimed at anyone in particular. There's archival stuff to be done. Vector tracing is always useful, even if it's amateur work. You could try to find abandoned Request threads and resuscitate them by adding usable Reference images. There are various tutorials available if you want to tackle some of the more advanced or creative tasks.

If you'd like to get involved then there's definitely something for you to do. If you just want to play the game then that's fine; you're not required to do anything fancy. But please don't say "I would do <x> myself if I knew how." Learn how to do it, or ask a veteran to teach you, or seek out a collaborator who can handle the parts that you don't understand, or just give up and ask someone else to do the whole job for you. Regardless of what you do, please don't use that phrase. And also -- please consider some of the forms of participation that I listed above.

Gary the Hot Soup

Potential Patron
Thank you for such quick response! I really appreciate it.
I was contemplating posting this in the revisions area, but I was unsure if it would fit that classification.
My apologies for saying that. I tried looking through multiple tutorials, but I could either not understand the terms used, or I did not know whether or not I was looking in the right place. I assumed the process to making this modification was simple and I was just too incompetent to realize it, hence the comment I made about myself.
I may not understand much, but I think I have a small understanding of how the hair mods work.
I would love to try and do what I can to help the community, even if it's simple actions like the examples you provided.
Anyhoo, thank you kindly for helping me get my bearings and welcoming me to the site!

stuntcock

Content Creator
@Alohade presumably drew the tail in a raster program, then used an auto-vectorize tool, and finally applied stretch and transformation operations to animate the tail. The telltale sign of tool-based vectorization is that the outline is excessive complex (more anchor points than necessary) as well as noisy (many jagged line segments instead of smooth curves). It's not possible to efficiently animate such a shape, and the large number of keyframes made re-fitting very cumbersome, so I just re-traced it. I attempted to retain the "kinked" shape of the original outline instead of smoothing everything down. The resulting animation is slightly inexact (e.g. the tailtip grows and shrinks slightly instead of merely curling) but this was pitched as a quick revision so I didn't want to spend hours fine-tuning it.

OYi1rx4.jpg

Figure 1: Vector simplification

The fill is a radial gradient without any embellishments, so I reproduced it as closely as possible.

It's possible to include an rgbFill element, but the runtime performance would decline somewhat. It would also require additional work, so I'm not going to do that unless specifically asked.

Because the animation is now based on tweens, it's possible to manipulate it much more easily. For example: we can speed up or slow down the entire cycle. We can change the dimensions (e.g. wider or narrower range of motion) by manipulating one keyframe instead of 50.

The mod is categorized as BOTTOMS (i.e. trousers, shorts). It's a non-overwriting vanilla import, so you should be able to combine it with others (i.e. wear shorts and have a tail). You can adjust the Skin HSL sliders however you want; the tail will not change color.

There are two versions. The first is a straight remake of @Alohade's work (pink color). The second uses the #F7CE5A (yellowish) base color.

VvjONvN.jpg

Figure 2: Color options

sdt-alohade-catTail-pink.swf
sdt-alohade-catTail-yellow.swf
sdt-alohade-catTail.fla (note: this source file is useful only to Flash modders)
sdt-alohade-catTail-blue.swf
sdt-alohade-catTail-rgb.swf

I don't intend to release this as a Resource because it's an unauthorized low-fidelity edit of someone else's work. If you'd like to see any changes then please let me know as soon as possible. If you'd like more information about any of the participation options then you can contact me directly or leave a reply in the associated thread.

Last edited:

Gary the Hot Soup

Potential Patron
Wow! Amazing work!
I'm surprised that you finished the edit so quickly, and it seems so flawless! I do hope that it wasn't too much trouble.
I tried it out, and have no problems with it, I don't see any further changes to be made.
I'm very grateful for your help, friend! Many thanks!

Gary the Hot Soup

Potential Patron
Actually... Would it be a bother if you made one more in one more color?
#002DFF or R:0 G:45 B:255. I'm so sorry to trouble you, and I understand if you don't want to.
Either way, thank you very much for all the help!

stuntcock

Content Creator
Added blue and rgb versions. The rgb version may throw runtime exceptions during slider manipulation, but that's not my fault. It's due to a bad cast in the CharacterControl::tryToSetFillChildren(...) method. The error should be harmless and you won't even notice it unless you're running the debugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.