Attach .dds file type? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
Thinking it might be nice feature. Many games can use dds texture injections like old game using texmod or umod. Currently forum doesn't support direct upload of it. Need to archive. Is there reason for this?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Is there reason for this?
Each filetype needs to be specifically whitelisted. This policy exists partially to guard against risky filetypes (e.g. sharing naked EXEs) and partially to discourage reckless/excessive use of filespace (e.g. uploading an entire high-quality MP4 movie).

DDS in itself (as a filetype) seems reasonable. The one important complication involves intellectual property. The texture files themselves are presumably edited copies of files which were originally ripped from commercial games. Unless the files have been significantly modified (e.g. creative input and remixing to the point that they're barely recognizable), they'd still be the intellectual property of the original creators. As such, uploading them to the Undertow fileserver would run afoul of the website rules:

Attachments
No copyrighted/pirated content is to be hosted on our system.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of DDS files being allowed, but we'd need to monitor those files carefully. Staff members would have trouble distinguishing "totally original texture" from "creative edit/mashup/refitting of someone else's work" from "ripped file with no changes whatsoever."

I'll notify d£t d£t . If anyone has any additional thoughts on this topic then they're welcome to reply to this thread or contact detritus directly.

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
That make complete sense. I had not thought about such things. I am against pirating and copyright infringe and would rather see without the feature if it helps. Thanks for explaining to me.

My thought on this now that it is brought up. There is no difference between uploading .dds and .rar which contain .dds inside if the content itself is bad. It is up to end user and community to monitor and report bad files. I think the problem is difficulty in distinguish which files are bad but the problem is not restricted to file type. File type is merely inconvenience for modders uploading while bad content is still shared within rar or whatever.

Ultimately I trust in mod decision. :smile:

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Think I did this awhile ago but DDS files are allowed. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.