Astounded's Dialogues [Added Punishment] (1 Viewer)

Lezard12345

Potential Patron
Re: Astounded's Dialogues [Added P1&2 of Candice Trilogy]

Well, you could make it lead towards something with her sister. Like she needs to do it to keep her safe. Or to prevent her father from being fired. The sister way could lead to a dialogue with her.

astounded

Avid Affiliate
Re: Astounded's Dialogues [Added Good Girl V2]

Hi all,
Added Good Girl v2. This is a simple expansion of v1 and is broadly applicable. My intent is to create as realistic a dialogue and reactions as possible (given her personality). I hope you enjoy, I know she will.
-A

D

dhemius

Love your dialogues, especially the more rough ones :)

Blazer

Vivacious Visitor

Astounded, your dialogues are up there as one of my very favorites. A little hardcore but its all very well done.

Look forward to more pieces from you!

B

Bloodproxy

Hey this may be a stupid question but where can I find that gag from clubsub.png? I was looking for it for a while there but didnt have any luck

Lizoran

Potential Patron

Bloodproxy said:
Hey this may be a stupid question but where can I find that gag from clubsub.png? I was looking for it for a while there but didnt have any luck
You can find it and other awesome mods in this thread http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=2454.0

astounded

Avid Affiliate
Added: Punishment {DRAFT}
It is a simple draft and I'll probably keep tweaking it. It does not use the advanced dialoging variables because I haven't worked with them (yet).
As usual for my work, it is not for the faint of heart.
Feedback is always welcome.

kjon

Potential Patron
Great work, they're quite different of the kind of dialogues I'm used to but they're very well done.

Also, could you please make a charcode for the ClubSub one? Thanks in advance.

Baddad3

Potential Patron
Great dialogues! Thank you. I really like the hair in the Punishment PNG. Can anyone tell me where to find it? I have most of the "reels" already and have not seen that one before.

astounded

Avid Affiliate
Baddad3 said:
Great dialogues! Thank you. I really like the hair in the Punishment PNG. Can anyone tell me where to find it? I have most of the "reels" already and have not seen that one before.

I'm glad you like them. Her hair is from TOlive. Goth_Steph.
http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=2206.msg23963#msg23963

-A

Pim_gd

Content Creator
These dialogues need to get fixed with the DialogueChecker; I'm getting huge amount of warnings and errors (189) from at least one of your dialogues.

astounded

Avid Affiliate
Pim_gd said:
These dialogues need to get fixed with the DialogueChecker; I'm getting huge amount of warnings and errors (189) from at least one of your dialogues.

Yup. I've only used your checker on the very latest ones. Silly question - Does a dialogue without the errors your checker finds improve performance in Flash? Thanks.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
In-code documentation of the DialogueChecker
/**
* The Severity enumeration is used to determine the severity of an Issue.
* There are three levels/categories of severity:
* - SEVERE, for instances in which the issue has to be fixed, or the Dialogue will cause SDT to crash or otherwise experience uncaught exceptions;
* - MAJOR, for instances in which the Dialogue does not display as intended.
* Since the DialogueChecker does not have the ability to read the intention of the author of a dialogue, the DialogueChecker assumes that:
* All lines in a dialogue that are not commented out were meant to be played. (Unused lines are bad)
* All content in a line of a dialogue was meant to be displayed. (Failed substitutes are bad)
* All lines in a dialogue were meant to function correctly within SDT. (SDT should not fail to parse any lines)
* In the event that the application of these assumptions to a dialogue fails, the cause of the failure will be labeled an issue of MAJOR severity,
* unless the cause is already labelled as a SEVERE issue.
* - MINOR, for instances in which the issue does not entail an error or meets the requirements for SEVERE or MAJOR severity.
* Issues with a MINOR severity tend to entail grammatical mistakes, unnecessary sections of a dialogue or line, or syntactic styling of dialogue lines.
* These three levels can each be seen as MUST (Severe), SHOULD (Major) and COULD (Minor) - "be fixed".
* In case the DialogueChecker is unable to parse a dialogue or sections of a Dialogue, issues are automatically treated as SEVERE, due to the possibility of the affected sections to contain SEVERE issues.
* @author Pimgd
*/

Basically:
- Severe issues will crash the game or kill your dialogue. These MUST get fixed before releasing your dialogue.
- Major issues will affect what the user sees, such as not seeing certain lines or certain sections of lines. These SHOULD get fixed before releasing your dialogue.
- Minor issues will not affect the game and represent polishing of a dialogue. Style related things are Minor issues. These COULD get fixed before releasing your dialogue.

A dialogue with errors fixed will not improve the performance. Likely, it will decrease the performance...

For the simple reason that your dialogue actually works.

That is; a dialogue which consists of 100 lines where 10 lines have such errors that they are not loaded in to the game causes the game to use 90 dialogue lines worth of memory. Fix the issues, and the game will use 100 dialogue lines worth of memory.

aztlan

Casual Client
Interesting.

Which brings to mind the question:

Aprrox. how many lines worth of memory is a reasonable upper bound? 100? 500? 2,500?

What are the main factors which degrade performance (size? number of checks? other?).

And thanks again for the checker, Pim_gd. The new version seems to work nicely with DA3.0!

Pim_gd

Content Creator
I knew it that any kind of explanation of "it's slower because it actually works now" would get met with more questions.

The only thing that slows down the game with dialogues is checks. Lines are only relevant per linetype; that is, you might have a tiny lagspike when it has to reshuffle the order in which it will grab one of your 1000 general lines. Thus; you'd be hard pressed to find a limit in dialogue lines.

Searching for the biggest dialogue I have... That took a while.

It's this one: http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=4338.msg63176#msg63176

405kb in file, file contains 1963 lines (but there's a bunch of blanks in between).
SDT can handle it fine. ... don't try to edit it in the in-game editor though, that's something that SDT doesn't like so much.
Your own limits to handle branches and such break before SDT will. And if you have a really large dialogue chances are that you just have different scenes, and you should consider tying them together with DialogueActions's "da.dialogue.load" variable.

astounded

Avid Affiliate
I've made some fixes based on suggestions from Pim_gd's checker. There were some ugly ones. I'm not done fixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.