Arabian Fight (1 Viewer)

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
Arabian Fight (Arcade)

Published by SEGA in 1992
Genre: Beat 'em up
Ryona Rating: 2/5

Description:
Arabian Fight came out along with the wave of side-scrolling beat 'em ups of the early '90s. Its one unique feature is that the game features a "zooming" effect, where as the player moves "up" into the screen, the character's sprite becomes smaller to give a sense of depth. The game also features anime-style animation every time a magic spell is used, showing the character leaping towards the screen, as well as in between some stages. However, the rest of the game has no real distinctive features, making it another sort of "me too" beat 'em up of its time. The game has stiff and choppy animation, as well as collision detection issues. If the title is any indication, is has a strictly Arabic theme to it, with levels taking place in pyramids, palaces, and deserts. The characters also share in this theme, wearing turbans and sashes as per the stereotype.

NOTE: The zooming effect of the game actually distorts the sprites of every character as they move into the background, lowering their overall visual quality. Also, while running this title in MAME, it indicates at start-up that the video emulation is not 100% accurate. MAME also has cheats that enable infinite health, time, magic, and credits, as well as a stage select option.

Ryona:
  • There is one selectable female character out of four characters total.
  • The player can be punched and kicked, as well as attacked with swords, hooks on chains, arrows, flying rocks, and some magic attacks.
  • One enemy type, called a Lizardman, can lift the player into the air and bring them slamming into the ground.
  • One enemy type, called a Fire Fatman, can breathe fire, completely engulfing the player in flame (thus changing the sprite of the character).
  • When the player is knocked out and out of lives, the player's character is knocked towards the screen in an anime-style animation, which emulates the character slowly sinking into the bottom of the screen like quicksand as the timer runs down to insert a coin.
  • The game features one zako, a Snakewoman, who appears both as a boss and as an enemy grunt thereafter. Her attacks are limited to firing arrows and punching.

Playable Female Characters:
  • Ramaya is a scantily clad dancer with respectable hand-to-hand combat moves, despite her appearance. Like the rest of the playable characters, she can also wield magic, including thunder, fire, and the ability to multiply into smaller versions of herself to defeat the enemy.

Screenshots:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxokWOWhue4&context=C37981f2ADOEgsToPDskIoxN2Ygx35itSKoWpWXYpp

Mardion

Potential Patron
Nice write-up, HyperZealot, I was thinking of adding this game to the Wiki but I certainly couldn't have written it any better than you did :-) I do think a 3/5 is too generous, though, considering there is hardly any respectable ryona in the game. Apart from the flying lizard, there wasn't any single move I could enjoy (and I still recall how dissapointed I was with the snakewoman...) eventhough I love the heroine's appearence.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
The main character can be attacked with arrows...

"I used to be an adventurer... until I took an arrow to the knee..."

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
Nice write-up, HyperZealot, I was thinking of adding this game to the Wiki but I certainly couldn't have written it any better than you did :-) I do think a 3/5 is too generous, though, considering there is hardly any respectable ryona in the game. Apart from the flying lizard, there wasn't any single move I could enjoy (and I still recall how dissapointed I was with the snakewoman...) eventhough I love the heroine's appearence.

You can call bias on that one. I figured it was a little high when I was posting it, so I just downgraded it to a 2/5. It's what I should have made it in the first place, really. It's just Ramaya is SOOOO hot. I LOVE her lying on the ground pose and I also enjoy it when she gets pummeled by the generic thugs at the beginning of the game.

Sorry about that. I'll try to exhibit a little more control next time and give it more of a proper rating lol.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
This game is fairly awful, the best part about it is watching Ramaya get knocked around. I stood behind one of the bosses, Six Hands, and he threw attacks in the wrong direction without moving. All I had to do was throw single punches so as to not combo him down, and he just stood there like a dipshit attacking the wrong way until I punched him to death. Six hands, no brain.

HyperZealot

Ryonani Teamster
I'll agree with that. I pointed out the game's collision detection issues, which is its biggest flaw. The sometimes passive A.I. also can make it tough to get them to do anything to Ramaya. I seriously wish she were in a better game. Someone did make her for MUGEN, which has far better potential for decent ryona, but they gave her a limited moveset and she can't crouch. :( If I knew how to make her better, I would.

EDIT: Also, I don't remember putting a hyphen in the article title. That's odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.