A Guide to Making Dialogues (Old Out of Date) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModGuy

Content Creator
Re: A Guide to Making Dialogues

EO said:
But it isn't random though, is it?

(from Konashion's v1.8.1b notes)
- Added priorities to dialogue types and more checks to avoid repetition. (This was previously just random, with a check to avoid the last used line. Now a line will not repeat until every other line has been used.)

Though perhaps I'm misunderstanding the concept of "flagging." Like I said, I'm more or less speculating out of my ass here.

Check that out.
Given that I've only used debug dialogues I have only even had each category with 1 line.
But your idea of flagging is very different from what I'm trying to convey.
Simply put, here we are just eliminating options and selecting a somewhat random fragment, a path based structure is a whole conversation.

Blargh

Potential Patron

Hm. The following dialogue file

Code:
CUSTOM:
intro:"Weight 3"
intro:"Weight 1"

displayed "Weight 3" four times in a row, but I can't get that to happen again. You maybe on to something there...

King Louie

Potential Patron

Thanks a lot! I found this to be VERY helpful. I'm writing like a mad-man now! Got some great ideas and can't wait to test them out! I have to spend time with my... *sigh* family first since it's christmas. But at least I can continue writing dialogue on my cell phone ;D

"What ya doin over there nephew?"

"Oh just writing a bit of dialogue." lol if they only knew..

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS & GALS!

gollum

Vivacious Visitor

Blargh said:
And I whole-heartedly support the implementation of custom scripting and dialogue trees.

Me too. Plus I add a "Pwetty pwease with sugar on top" as well.

RajasGrime

Content Creator

I know you feel this.

hTWUw.jpg

CDMG

Potential Patron

RajasGrime said:
I know you feel this.

hTWUw.jpg

When will this be available my good man
That is awesome.
I can really do some interesting audio dialogues for that.

RajasGrime

Content Creator

CDMG said:

Only if someone is willing to. I edited a screenshot, basically just throwing an idea out there for an interactive SDT. The interface is easy enough to make, so if anyone were to create a dialogue wheel and need a design, feel free to contact me.

ModGuy

Content Creator

RajasGrime said:
CDMG said:

Only if someone is willing to. I edited a screenshot, basically just throwing an idea out there for an interactive SDT. The interface is easy enough to make, so if anyone were to create a dialogue wheel and need a design, feel free to contact me.

Given that it's now possible to programmatically emulate the mouse in SDT because of Kona's awesomely well thought out code, we could run through logic trees fairly easily.
But dialogue isn't all that interesting to me, and last time I added the requested dialogue scripting feature nobody ended up using it.
Also, given that we are overriding the current dialogue system, we'd have to manually replace out the existing dialogue in order for the game to think that there's speaking going on.

Ugh... Don't bother with user dialogue input until there is a standard system in place.

EDIT: Mass Effect.

j4cks0n

Potential Patron

Do all of those commands work in SDT 11.b or are newer versions required?

jojo351515

Potential Patron

Thanks for all.and can I import the Dialogues with other Language,such as chinese or Japanese?

T0mcat

Avid Affiliate

Any chance to emulate marking boxes by text commands in the game?

Like, putting [HIS_ARMS_FREE] in, to let him let go of her.. and [HIS_ARMS_HOLD] to grab her again..
Or... a text command for setting the penetration force..

That would allow for some nice scripting, like maybe starting with a blowjob by her, turning into a heavy mouthfuck after the first deep throat..

I also noticed that "intro" lines sometimes tend to show up - usually when there's inactivity occurring - until the first DT has happened..

And it seems, not only the [CLENCH_TEETH] command is risky, but all those expression orders, as soon as they are interfered by a penetration..

booster

Avid Affiliate

T0mcat said:
And it seems, not only the [CLENCH_TEETH] command is risky, but all those expression orders, as soon as they are interfered by a penetration..

yeah, clench teeth lets the dialogue freeze very often. i told kona about that in his guest book a long time ago, but no fix (only solution: dont use it).

all in all it seems that kona has no interest in developing dialogue further. very sad, since it is the mightiest element in this game and brings the widest variation possibilities.

Digimonfan

Potential Patron

Hmmm.... Question.

The dialogues I make seem to have a problem with the "%0A" character. Instead of starting a new line of dialogue, it just continues going along the same line.

Is this a recurring problem for other people, or do I just have the crappiest luck with coding?

T0mcat

Avid Affiliate

Digimonfan said:
Hmmm.... Question.

The dialogues I make seem to have a problem with the "%0A" character. Instead of starting a new line of dialogue, it just continues going along the same line.

Is this a recurring problem for other people, or do I just have the crappiest luck with coding?

I sometimes (!) have the same problem.. in the same text sometimes "%0A" does what it's supposed to do - start a new line of dialogue - but sometimes it's shown as text in the dialogue.. and even if I erase it and type it in again, it won't work..

... oh, and it seems, the problem with some of the bracketed commands crashing the dialogue display comes from a collison of facial movements.. most often the dialogue showing gets stuck on those expressions, which result in the mouth moving ([CLENCH_TEETH], [SWALLOW], [COUGH],[TONGUE] or a mood change to [ANGRY_MOOD] resulting in her clenching her teeth), while at the same time moving her mouth to the guy's cock..

booster

Avid Affiliate

very good you pointed that out tomcat. I quoted you in the guestbook, hoping kona will see it.

rubix

Potential Patron

I hadn't seen the [TONGUE] command before, it wasn't in EO's original guide, are there any other one's that might have passed me by?

[OPEN_EYES] would be useful, I've got the shortcut keys set up, and perhaps I overuse the close command when writing...

Also collision detection for other body parts, say [cum_on_breasts] or [cum_on_legs], I guess from the [cum_in_eye] line being used,
the dialogue triggers work when the cum hits a specific flash object; am I wrong? would this work?

booster

Avid Affiliate

tonyh5144 said:
БББ make the dialogue pause for a little before going on to the next bit. SDT knows it ought to be printing something for a Б, but it doesn't actually have a Б character. So putting a Б pauses the dialogue for a short time without printing anything. (It doesn't have to be a Б - I think any Cyrillic character will work, and probably some of the other international characters too. I could have used %01, but Б takes up less space!)
thank you for that information, tony :)

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor

Has an "Open Eyes" command been programed yet? Or does she close her eyes... forever... still?

anonymous

Avid Affiliate

I updated the OP since Konashion updated some of the dialogue stuff. I'm preparing to work on an audio dialogue and I might incorporate some of the dialogue actions.

Dignant

Potential Patron

There are several things that I have discovered in the course of making my own dialogue that I believe may be helpful to others seeking more detailed dialogue options:

1. Thought and Male-Spoken Lines - It is possible to display lines delivered from the perspective of the male and of the female's thoughts.

-Putting {"style":"Him"} at the end of a sentence will change the font to blue and will not move the female's lips, indicating that it is the male speaking. This dialogue will also not be interrupted in the same manner that conventional speech is. Example:
intro:"Are you ready to go, SD Chan?"{"style":"Him"}
The above text will deliver the line as the male. The style modifier is added separately after the conventional text, not within it.

-Putting {"style":"Thought"} at the end of a sentence will make the dialogue box more fuzzy, indicating that this is the female's thoughts and not what she is actually saying. Like the male text, her mouth will not move and this text will not be interrupted through conventional means.
One important thing to remember about both of these style formats is that they appear to use a separate randomization list than conventional speech. This means that if you have very few thought or male-spoken lines, those lines are likely to be repeated frequently. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that thought and male-spoken lines are likely to activate far more often, since these lines do not need to wait for the female's mouth to be available. If one is not careful, a dialogue could have 100 spoken lines and 5 thought or male lines and hear far more of the latter category.
A workaround for this, however, is to place the thought/male lines within a substitution:
intro:"[SUBSTITUTION]"
SUBSTITUTION:"Are you ready to go, SD CHAN?"{"style":"Him"}
The above line will still use the same font/box changes as the thought/male speech, and still will not interrupt, but will only activate at the same time that a conventional line would and will follow the same randomization list as conventional speech. In my experience, starting "finish" dialogue triggers with a thought/male style is unreliable - substitution is recommended there as well. Additionally, be careful not to chain dialogue chains on for too long - they can be easily interrupted by other dialogue triggers and will not resume if interrupted in this manner.

2. Advanced Substitutions - substitutions, as described in the above guide, can be used as variables. Through the use of these variables, it is possible to create dialogue trees, semi-regulate speech frequencies, and generally more easily manage dialogue modifications. Substitutions can be virtually any sequence of words/letters - in this example I am simply using an "a,b,c" format because it is simple and makes it easy to understand substitution progression when modifying dialogues:
general:"[RES]So... lovely weather we're having, isn't it?"{"style":"Him"}
RES:"[RESa]What are you even talking about the weather for?!"
RESa:"[RESb]Because this is an example and doesn't require erotic content."{"style":"Him"}
RESb:"What an idiot..."{"style":"thought"}
In the above example, this use of substitutions would enable a back-and-forth conversation between the man and the woman, as well as the woman's thoughts at the end. Introduction lines have been able to do this previously by using "intro1, intro2," etc, but this method can be used with any action triggers.
The use of substitutions can also be used to guide randomization:
pre_cum:"[THROAT]"
THROAT:"Example 1."
THROAT:"Example 2."
THROAT:"Example 3."

pre_cum:"[FACE]"
FACE:"Example 4."
FACE:"Example 5."
FACE:"Example 6."

pre_cum:"[MOUTH]"
MOUTH:"Example 7."
MOUTH:"Example 8."
MOUTH:"Example 9."
In the above example, each time the trigger is activated one of these three "pre_cum" lines will be randomly selected. After it has been randomly selected, that line will not be randomly selected again until all available lines have been selected - so although there are actually 9 available lines, you will hear one from [MOUTH], one from [THROAT] and one from [FACE] - in the conventional approach, it would be possible to hear all three [FACE] lines before hearing any of the others. While I am not 100% certain, I believe that the substitutions also follow the randomization rules; Example 7, for instance, should not be repeated until Example 8 and Example 9 are also read.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you, fellow dialogue writers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.