Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai (1 Viewer)

Face-Kick

Potential Patron
So, now it's all over, what was the general opinion?

As someone who hadn't read the manga, the storyline was entirely new to me and, for the most part, I enjoyed. If I had one... not so much a complaint but just a slight disappointment... is that Sakura never really had an 'enemy' to battle; she never went up against an outright heel. All her matches were either against random one-appearance wrestlers or versus opponents that would be better described as rivals, such as Rio and Elena.

That aside though, I thought it was a well made anime with a solid storyline, good performances and decent animation.

onlinehero

Casual Client
^ Tip: You probably want to check out anime sites in Internet. This is a japanese tv show and does not air in every country, but anime fans upload episodes to youtube, dailymotion, and host them in their own sites. Usually they also sub the episodes too so you don't need to understand japanese language.

h0ly123

Ryonani Teamster
I was disappointed with it. Vast majority of the action is extended submission holds which don't really don't anything for me more often than not. Back breakers, bearhugs, and sleepers can be good, but those were rarely used as the extended submission holds. They seemed strangely obsessed with the boston crab.

TheCrimsonRisk

Ryonani Teamster
I was disappointed with it. Vast majority of the action is extended submission holds which don't really don't anything for me more often than not. Back breakers, bearhugs, and sleepers can be good, but those were rarely used as the extended submission holds. They seemed strangely obsessed with the boston crab.

It's the crotch shots and maybe the image of the female crawling on her belly. I was also disappointed by the lack of variety. Couldn't her opponents use different signature submission holds? Boo.

Face-Kick

Potential Patron
Yeah, it's safe to say the holds used were those designed to offer the best fanservice, and the Boston Crab obviously fulfils that criteria. I guess it's probably easier to animate too!

For anyone that's read the manga, were there a greater variety of holds used in the original story or was that 'crab heavy' too?

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
So I've been waiting for a final verdict before I try this show... and I'm assuming the season is over by now.

What's the verdict?? Is it good?

From what I've seen clip-wise, the matches are just a series of overly long holds while the main character squeals and gasps. Is that pretty much what it is?

Trigon

Casual Client
So I've been waiting for a final verdict before I try this show... and I'm assuming the season is over by now.

What's the verdict?? Is it good?

From what I've seen clip-wise, the matches are just a series of overly long holds while the main character squeals and gasps. Is that pretty much what it is?

It's ok. I'll tell you right now that if you don't like the squeals and gasps, go ahead and get out now. There is a lot of that in the series, especially in the early episodes when Sakura is still pretty bad at wrestling. It gets a little better later on when Sakura is finally able to mount some offense of her own.

The Good:
  • Lots of very cute characters, in very skimpy outfits
  • Reasonable amount of action. I'm pretty sure every episode has at least one wrestling match or wrestling training
  • While the characters aren't exactly deep, their personalities and motivations are cliche, but well done. The (Japanese) voice acting is pretty good, for the most part. (unless you hate moans and squeals, in which case bail out now)
  • A few of the wrestling moves are pretty good, especially when the skilled wrestlers start to appear. I like the Misaki Special (in fact, I just like Misaki in general). Sadly, these moves are far too rare (see "The Bad", below).

The Bad:
  • Not enough variety in wrestling moves, especially early on. You will get tired of the Boston Crab very, very quickly. (Granted, Sakura being unable to escape this hold was a big part of the early plot, but it still got repetitive very fast)
  • Show seems to favor submission holds over other moves. As a result, many of the holds drag out far too long.
  • The anime needs more heels. Most of the characters are either good guys or rivals. I was hoping to see more of the Kyouaku Doumei (translated as 'League of Brutes'), but they sadly appear only rarely. I would definitely have like to see more of Yumbo Yamamoto (the big leader of the League of Brutes) beating up on the cuter girls.

Depends:
  • Many of the character have rather large breasts. I personally really like that, but others might not.
  • There is a ton of fanservice. They like the holds so much so the camera can zoom in on bouncing cleavage or show gratutious crotch shots while the character moans and squeals in pain. I don't mind this so much, but different people have different tolerances for that kind of thing.
  • There are only 12 episodes in the main series. This might be good or bad, depending on how much you like it.
  • Despite all the fanservice, there is practically no actual nudity. In the main series, stuff like the shower scenes are censored. However, I have not seen the bonus matches from the official DVD release.
  • Apparently Sweet Diva only has the one hit song (which is also the anime's Ending song). They play it constantly during the show. It's a catchy song, but... (damn it, now it's stuck in my head!)

My verdict is it's a decent show that could have been much, much better. It's short enough that I think it's worth watching if you like female wrestling and substantial fan service.

Steve15

Vivacious Visitor
Alright, cool. The squeals and moans aren't a deal breaker for me (though I usually turn down the volume when they get particularly screechy), but I'm disappointed to hear that it is a lot of submission holds.

I love the idea of female wrestling, but ideally extended submission holds are an exception rather than the rule. I much prefer back and forth matches.

Jestony

Potential Patron
There probably won't be a season 2. The manga only goes on for 1 more volume after the match the anime ends on, and it is just the back story of Elena's training. So with any luck we might get a special down the road featuring that material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.