Reference Shots (1 Viewer)

Twycross448

Potential Patron
Okay, I got to ask this. When concerning girls from video games, are screenshots okay as well?

I mean stuff like this one :

(Especially since some video game girls have nearly no other chance for reference material. Aigle up there is such a case. I looked on Google, DeviantArt, gelbooru, rule34.booru, Hentai-Foundry and the official Konami website, browing through what feels like a thousand pictures ... and found exactly zilch usable ones. :o IF such screenies would also be acceptable for requests, that would make it easier, since I could just do the screenshots myself.)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Screenshots are fine, it can be anime, games or movies, only the point of view is important. Try also to get the better resolution possible and record it in a proper image format (i.e. png or jpg). Other screenshots or reference shots can be provided in addition to show the best colours.

The example you gave is okay, after the biggest problem is to find an artist to make the hair mod...
Personally, I don't make 3D game hair mods because the shades in the colours are too difficult for me to reproduce.

Twycross448

Potential Patron
SyntaxTerror said:
Screenshots are fine, ...

Good. Then this makes it a wee little bit easier for me. ^_^"

SyntaxTerror said:
...it can be anime, games or movies, only the point of view is important. Try also to get the better resolution possible and record it in a proper image format (i.e. png or jpg). Other screenshots or reference shots can be provided in addition to show the best colours.

I'm afraid the game only runs in 1280x720 on the XBox360, so that is the native resolution the screenshots would be in. Adding other shots or alternatively other artworks/fanart for colour/setup/overview purposes is a given. ;)

SyntaxTerror said:
The example you gave is okay, after the biggest problem is to find an artist to make the hair mod...
Personally, I don't make 3D game hair mods because the shades in the colours are too difficult for me to reproduce.

Oh, I can still try my luck then. But out of curiousity, what "shades" do you refer to? In my example, Aigle has simple brown hair, nothing dyed or shaded or anything. Or did I misunderstand you there and you wanted to say something entirely different? If so, my apologies.

In the end, thank you for your input. I appreciate it. :)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Twycross448 said:
Oh, I can still try my luck then. But out of curiousity, what "shades" do you refer to? In my example, Aigle has simple brown hair, nothing dyed or shaded or anything.
When I draw hair mods, I use Inkscape to make vectorized images.

Usually, in manga or anime hair there are three colours: the main colour, the shadow and the light reflection, each separate, so I can make a layer for each. For example for Fuuka, there are these three colours:

02c815343422692.jpg

In 3d games hairs, usually the different colours of the hair aren't separate, there are shades between the lightest and the darkest, and this is really complicated for me to make, not to mention the significant time it takes. I tried to do it for the Female Scout from Team Fortress 2, it didn't seem too hard to realize, but the colour gradients really made me mad.

4bcc67344954534.jpg

This one was kinda simple compared to the one in your example, that have numerous strands of hair. One could say that I could make an hair mod with less coulour gradients, or my own version of that character, but drawing myself is really difficult for me, while I can copy another artist work quite easily. Also, I don't pretend to make my own interpretation of a character as I want my hair mod to be the closest as possible to the original image, I do not want to do a crappy job either.

Ash Williams

Potential Patron
I'm trying to help resurrect the inserted dildo invalid request and I just need to know if images like these can be used for making mods?

22uIRmq.png

SDDYTqi.jpg

ru21WH1.jpg

Y0tp8Mb.jpg

HtU3utO.jpg

stuntcock

Content Creator
I'm trying to help resurrect the inserted dildo invalid request and I just need to know if images like these can be used for making mods?
Photographs don't match the visual style of SDT. Therefore an artist needs to expend effort in converting or re-imagining the image. For someone like me (who doesn't draw anything but merely traces existing images) a photograph is not very useful.

Anime-style references are preferred.

stuntcock

Content Creator
How about this?
Tracing the outline of a shape is a good start, but we also need internal lines. For an example, look at the penis mods created by @lemurian-seed -- they feature a "bumpy" outline, but there are also ridges and mottling visible across the face of the object. Furthermore, we need to draw patterns of lighting and shading in order to establish the geometry (or "texture") of the surface, and then assign an appropriate level of brightness so that the viewer can recognize it (e.g. gloss vs matte finish). The whole thing needs to be heavily simplified, because a highly-detailed (photorealistic) object will clash with the SDT art style. If the object is drawn in vectors, then high detail will also hurt the game's performance. And you need to carefully crop it (or draw the whole thing on a transparent-background canvas) because we don't want a big rectangular white border to surround the object in-game.

It's not really practical to do all of this by merely tracing a photograph. A talented artist can use a photographic reference in order to draw a new anime-style image. Photoshop filters can simplify a photograph into a comic-book appearance, but the detail and shading will still make it feel alien to SDT. The recommended approach is to find an existing anime drawing (or screen-capture) of the object in question.

If you manage to find such images, then please post them in the dildo thread. We've already done enough thread necromancy here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.