Mappa Fighter? (1 Viewer)

seraph1130

Potential Patron
As someone who makes sprites for student game devs, it bothers me a hell of a lot more than I know it will some of you that this guy just let the creation engine define hit boxes for him. They change with each frame of animation, it seems (rather than with poses), and he allowed it to make them larger than the sprite, rather than smaller and within the confines of it.

You guys just see it as "fuckin' game's too hard", which it is. I look at it and want to bash my head on the desk because the guy blatantly ignores Character Programming 101. That, and he uses his bad mechanics as a feature. Some of those jumps aren't impossible, they just look like it because they should be... The player's hit box is a regular rectangle and extends behind and in front by a good amount; as well as above, for some reason. Some of those 1-wide platform jumps can only be made by -and this is the fuckey bit-- having her feet entirely off the platform. It gets better, since the hit box changes size between running and stationary.

Keep the CGs, ditch the game. The hit box issues extend way into the combat mechanics, too. Looks like the only way he figured out to not make this a rage-fest was to have the no-penalty continues and overabundance of checkpoints.

fun_damentalz

Potential Patron
The part that got to me, and turns me off from so many of the few-and-far-between platformers in the genre is the lack of sense in terms of the entire creative direction.

You're a school girl with nothing else to do than go off on an adventure kicking things. Along the way, you encounter, what, exactly? Bees, pipes that shoot marbles, mushrooms diabolically sitting there in places I wouldn't expect mushrooms to grow. Occasionally a man in a half-suit walks left and right at you, or a man who has a fish for a head (not a fish-head, a full fish standing-in just above the neck). You collect strawberries and ... something else I can't recognize and occasionally your clothes just explode off your body like puzzle pieces.

Some games like to find a theme and stick to it, which causes us to sub-consciously devise a story to explain what's happening. In this one, you play the role of a potential drug addict (I can't rule out first time users) who has to help a school girl either go home or defeat her nemesis (it could really be anything for how far I got through the demo).The game ends when you get tired of playing and quit or have a wank.

A lot of the hentai action platformer games released are in Japanese, yet many of us can still eke out an understanding. Unholy Sanctuary is a pretty good example.
"I'm a Nun, I'm in a forest fighting zombies. Here's a castle; it must be evil or why would a Nun be visiting? Who's this character? She looks like the protagonist... aha! My sister! I have to fight Death Incarnate? Someone really evil must be pulling the strings here."

Or Kurovadis:

You awake from stasis (clearly not a nap) into a destroyed science facility overrun with experiments that have gone wrong and escaped. Eventually, you make your way to a cathedral of sorts and realize that magic is involved in this disaster as well. Someone was trying to play God AND D&D at the same time! Finally you get to an area that appears subject to an alien takeover. Bio-experiements, evil demons and aliens in areas you would expect to find them. The fact that it all happened at once in the same block is easily overlooked.

I'm not saying I have a problem with a school girl protagonist, but it's completely irrelevant to anything else I've seen about the game. And since we don't have a story to explain it, I can't even be bothered to care.

Ah, and what seraph1130 said; the gameplay is pretty attrocious. However, I do appreciate that not everyone is good at all the tasks; a lot of artists use engines and game-making software (*coughPGMaker*), and programmers often grab whatever free (or paid) visual assets from whatever sites they can get them. And if I mention that one simulated dramatic piano/flute song which is the first-level music to so many half-assed platformers, a lot of people will know what I'm talking about.

/rant, sorry everyone! Once I got started I couldn't stop, and it feels like a waste to delete. :/

gardenvarietyshark

Potential Patron
As someone who makes sprites for student game devs, it bothers me a hell of a lot more than I know it will some of you that this guy just let the creation engine define hit boxes for him. They change with each frame of animation, it seems (rather than with poses), and he allowed it to make them larger than the sprite, rather than smaller and within the confines of it.

You guys just see it as "fuckin' game's too hard", which it is. I look at it and want to bash my head on the desk because the guy blatantly ignores Character Programming 101. That, and he uses his bad mechanics as a feature. Some of those jumps aren't impossible, they just look like it because they should be... The player's hit box is a regular rectangle and extends behind and in front by a good amount; as well as above, for some reason. Some of those 1-wide platform jumps can only be made by -and this is the fuckey bit-- having her feet entirely off the platform. It gets better, since the hit box changes size between running and stationary.

Keep the CGs, ditch the game. The hit box issues extend way into the combat mechanics, too. Looks like the only way he figured out to not make this a rage-fest was to have the no-penalty continues and overabundance of checkpoints.

This sort of sloppiness is way too prevalent in H games, and many people just accept it - some even defend it as "not that bad". It IS that bad. It's horrible. It's just the dev saying "fuck the game experience". So yeah, get the CG, scrap the game then.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
detritus, you readin' this shit? Some people finally agree with what I've been saying-- that H games should have decent gameplay!

Crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.