Streets of Girls: Beat em Up using AI Shoujo characters (1 Viewer)

slayer

Master of this Domain
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll work on that.
Unfortunately, resizing the characters would mean doing almost half the work back again. I'm at a crossroads now; either continue with the current size, or do a complete overhaul of the mod, losing a lot of image resolution in the process. Choices, choices...

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll work on that.
Unfortunately, resizing the characters would mean doing almost half the work back again. I'm at a crossroads now; either continue with the current size, or do a complete overhaul of the mod, losing a lot of image resolution in the process. Choices, choices...
I'd say resizing so they're not giants. Lower res is fine, imo. :wink: Sorry to hear on losing work if you do it. :smile:

slayer

Master of this Domain
Could be... but I really do like the detail on say, the hurt faces. I must decide on that, and soon, before more zako files pile up (in case I decide to change for smaller enemies).

Kopamon

Avid Affiliate
Just my two cents. I think the first thing to do is to switch to a more recent version of the engine.
OpenBOR v 3xxx-4xxx has glitches, and: the enemy AI is limited. Many old OpenBOR games, as a result, are somewhat boring and not really challenging. Also, a lot of interesting graphic effects and rendering systems are missing.

slayer

Master of this Domain
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I'll look into it.

EDIT: Do you suggest a version in particular?

slayer

Master of this Domain
I tried running the lastest version, 6391, and it crashed on startup. Then I tried 4432, and it couldn't load either. Finally, I looked for a version in my hard drive, found the 3742 build, and lo and behold, it runs. My question is; would it be bad if I use that older one? Would I miss much? Thanks

Dan Druff

Club Regular
Louise has entered the stage!

XNtmDab.jpg

--- Download the Game version 0.08 here ---

The strong farmer redhead girl has risen up to the challenge -- it's up to you to defeat her, along with her friends:

Rz8d7Id.jpg

You can either vote for a candidate for the next girl to appear in the game from this limited pool:
rXQ4C6Z.jpg

● Claire
● Victoria
X Louise
● Jane
X Annie
● Summer
X Naomi

● Alice

...or, if you wish, I'm open to original suggestions. Let's populate this beat em up with new girls!
I was hoping Louise would make it, but I don't want to defeat her. I want her to grab and defeat the player. I hope Alice makes it in next. She looks like someone who can lift the player.

slayer

Master of this Domain
I was hoping Louise would make it, but I don't want to defeat her. I want her to grab and defeat the player. I hope Alice makes it in next. She looks like someone who can lift the player.
I see. I can make two twin mods; one in which the girls fight back and you lose, and one in which you just massacre them.

By the way, some people expressesd their preference for the bodies to stay lying on the floor; there could be multiple versions on that regard as well. Maybe a single download with a few BAT files that move the characters TXTs along to replace them with the required ones on startup. Just an idea...

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Kopamon

Avid Affiliate
I tried running the lastest version, 6391, and it crashed on startup. Then I tried 4432, and it couldn't load either. Finally, I looked for a version in my hard drive, found the 3742 build, and lo and behold, it runs. My question is; would it be bad if I use that older one? Would I miss much? Thanks
Well, I'm not an OpenBOR Expert - I suggest you the forum at www.chronocrash.com if you have techincal questions - but I noticed a few old modules, developed for old versions, become virtually unplayable in new versions due to increased enemies' intelligence.
Regarding your compatibility problems, I have a theory.
Due to low KROs of my Windows keyboard, I'm currently running OpenBOR on a Mac, using Wine, simulating a Windows XP. I'm able to run almost every module I downloaded, but I have some problem, such as chrashes and impossibility to load gemes, when I select SDL as Video mode (see Options/Video). Since the Mac has support for OpenGL, Wine lets me use this library, and most of the problems simply disappear when I use it.
I suggest you to download some OpenBOR complete modules, and extract the OpenBOR app when you got it running.
In case of immediate crash, try deleting all *.cfg file inside the Saves folder, relaunch, and go to the Options/Video menu to select another video mode.

slayer

Master of this Domain
Well, I'm not an OpenBOR Expert - I suggest you the forum at www.chronocrash.com if you have techincal questions - but I noticed a few old modules, developed for old versions, become virtually unplayable in new versions due to increased enemies' intelligence.
Regarding your compatibility problems, I have a theory.
Due to low KROs of my Windows keyboard, I'm currently running OpenBOR on a Mac, using Wine, simulating a Windows XP. I'm able to run almost every module I downloaded, but I have some problem, such as chrashes and impossibility to load gemes, when I select SDL as Video mode (see Options/Video). Since the Mac has support for OpenGL, Wine lets me use this library, and most of the problems simply disappear when I use it.
I suggest you to download some OpenBOR complete modules, and extract the OpenBOR app when you got it running.
In case of immediate crash, try deleting all *.cfg file inside the Saves folder, relaunch, and go to the Options/Video menu to select another video mode.

Thanks a lot for the reply and all the suggestions!
Unfortunately, I had already done as you say, an neither version will start up. Even worse, the log files are empty...

slayer

Master of this Domain
At a friend's request, I implemented a regular sized enemy. It sort of works, but I'm not happy with the loss of detail. Perhaps a compromise can be made; not as small as the defeault but not as big as the characters I've been creating so far?

Preview video:

ahhgBMa.jpg

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
At a friend's request, I implemented a regular sized enemy. It sort of works, but I'm not happy with the loss of detail. Perhaps a compromise can be made; not as small as the defeault but not as big as the characters I've been creating so far?
Hey, thanks for trying closer to hero size/non-giant size. :wink:
I agree on compromise. :smile:The enemy looks too small here compared to him, so a bit bigger would be perfect.
It'll be great seeing the whole figure on-screen at all times now, though. Hope it goes well. :cool:

Last edited:

slayer

Master of this Domain
Oh, I meant resizing enemies AND heroes, so that they are, say 150% regular size. The current big ones are 200% size, and sometimes we miss the heads off the screen, which isn' good...

slayer

Master of this Domain
I decided to make a compromise between detail and functionality, and resized the first foe to a 150% of the "regular BoR size". It kind of works, but for some reason I can't seem to get the coordinates straight, even with the aid of the proper software. If someone wants to peek at the karen.txt file and look for what may be missing, I'd be very grateful. :)

7PfCTra.gif

Mid sized Karen test version (0.10):

slayer

Master of this Domain
Here I attached the corrected TXT file for the enemy "Karen". Just replace the old one with this one and she should move around fine.

What size do you prefer the characters to be? Is this new Karen's size (150%) fine?

Attachments

KAREN.txt
24 KB · Views: 69

jettmanas

Master of this Domain
Maybe 125% will be ideal. :smile:
Less of a giant compared to the hero, and be just a tall girl. :cool:
Thanks for doing this, & even showing a preview. You're dedicated!

slayer

Master of this Domain
Version 0.11

Karen and Naomi are fixed, they should be working fine now.

I began adopting the 1.5 ratio. It's not as easy as resizing the existing giant frames, since the new compression would break them. Luckily, I store the high resolution PNG frames, so it's a matter of doing a batch process in Photoshop and integrate them again into the game.

slayer

Master of this Domain
Maybe 125% will be ideal. :smile:
Less of a giant compared to the hero, and be just a tall girl. :cool:
Thanks for doing this, & even showing a preview. You're dedicated!
Oh, but the hero will also be resized -- it's just that those take way more time. And zakos are zakos... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.