Evil Zone (1 Viewer)

Mardion

Potential Patron
Evil Zone [Playstation]

Published : 1999
Genre : Fighting
Ryona rating : 3/5

Ryona:
  • Five selectable female fighters out of a roster of ten characters (including the playable boss).
  • Some characters wield swords.
  • The gameplay is based around melee fighting but also relies on projectiles.
  • Apart from the standard front and back grabs, fighters can grab their opponent even at a distance, with a different application depending on whether they are very far away or relatively close. That brings the grabs total to 4 per character without including the attack throws.
  • One of the (if not THE) most cinematic fighting games ever created(*). Several moves and grabs are shown from dramatic angles with the camera moving around like in an action movie ; this is helped along by the variety of extravagant moves available in the game.
  • Each character can power up and accumulate Super Crystals which can be used to execute a powerful (and cinematic) Super Move. If such a move fully diminishes the opponent's health, the animation is prolonged ; on occasion it may last up to 20 seconds.
  • Downed opponents can be hit.
(*)The cinematic feel is further enhanced by the in-game lines they utter, as well as the Story Mode, which is portrayed as a TV show presented by the chosen character (complete with a unique theme music and next episode preview) where they speak about their life as well as the upcoming fight.

Gameplay note:
Evil Zone's gameplay is quite unique. Besides the directional buttons, the player only has TWO buttons to work with, Attack and Guard. Pressing Attack with various directional buttons produces different kinds of attack - which themselves vary depending on the distance to the opponent (close or far). Holding the Attack button charges up the Super Bar (it is completed much faster if the fighter's health is low) while pressing Down+Attack initiates a grab (irregardless of how far the opponent actually is). Pressing Guard just as the opponent's projectile is about to connect causes the projectile to fly right back at them! Lastly, pressing Up or Down causes the character to sidestep.

Female Characters:
  • Midori is a redheaded tomboy who is very pushy yet always smiling. She is very fit and strong. One of her grabs shows her duplicate herself into four Midoris and pummeling her opponent to a pulp before delivering a simultaneous Flash Kick!
  • Erel is a blonde wielding an electrical sword and clad in an upper-body armor which does little to conceal her lower assets(*). She has two seperate grabs in which she ends up straddling her opponent (before making them explode in the second one).
  • Kakurine is a 10.000-year old trans-dimensional being that assumes the form of a little girl. She is able to teleport wherever she wants, has telekinetic powers which can send her opponent flying, and can also drain their blood like a vampire.
  • Setsuna is a sword-wielding schoolgirl whose body also houses the spirit of another girl. In battle, her kind demeanor takes a back seat to her desire to impale her opponents with her sword.
  • Ihadurka is the game's final boss. She is a powerful sorceress who revels in shooting beams at her opponent or entrapping her within balls of magic.
(*)In the NTSC-U version of the game, her legs are also covered by her tight bodysuit.

Screenshots:

Videos:

Last edited by a moderator:

NNin

Ryonani Teamster
It may be worth to note that this is the English version of "Eretzvaju". The original Japanese version is uncersored, so both Erel and Ihadurka's outfits are more revealing in that one.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Even MORE revealing? Geez O_o

Edit : I just downloaded the Japanese version and found no differences in Erel's outfit between this and the version I was playing (the PAL version). Where did you hear that they were different?

NNin

Ryonani Teamster
There is a PAL version!? :omg:

OK, after using google for a seconds, I found out that JAP and PAL version are uncensored. Only American version is censored.
Like this.
erel-american.jpg

Credit: Hardcore Gaming 101: Evil Zone / Eretzvaju

Mardion

Potential Patron
LOL, yes, PAL games do exist in this planet, I grew up playing them in fact :-P

That censorship is quite stupid ; there are a lot more provocative girls in gaming that they did nothing about. Maybe they did it to Erel because they deemed her straddling grabs were "too sexy" with that outfit or something??? In any case, this information has now been added to the article.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
Even though it is 'censored', there is a market for people like me who like having tights over legs, so even though it's 'censored', I preferred Erel's outfit like this.

This is in fact one of my fav. games. Midori also has an unlockable outfit that's her gym outfit, which I think is a really sexy number where she wears a red one-piece which I used to do ryona videos of (before I stupidly deleted them).

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
I actually prefer Erel's unlockable outfit anyway-- the one where she's got the dark blue leotard over black tights.

There's always the videos I made a while back, even if I was noobish when making them:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mardion

Potential Patron
Wow, I knew this game wasn't a completely unknown one, but I had no idea it actually had some stern followers! That makes me happy because it'd be a shame if such good ryona got to waste :-)

@Unrelated, why not add these videos to the article? They'd sure come in handy to people who don't know about this game :-)

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
Hehe, yeah...there is still a few set of people out there that still loves the game and wish there was more to it. I know at least one japanese forum that made CAWs of them in Soulcalibur 4, which made me very happy. There was going to be a sequel, as in Japan they pushed this game hard. However, I guess it just didn't get around to it...which is sad...image the ryona in there after all the wonderful ryona cut-scene moves in this game!

P

perziashammas

Damn I miss this game for old school playstation. i used to make the young girl give erel the death kiss and then the girl would say something like "You taste good" and giggle. LOLZ

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
hmm wonder which one was my favorite. Going to my vidoe page would be cheating lol. This game was pretty interesting. Kinda wished it was more polished though

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.