Eroico (1 Viewer)

fun_damentalz

Potential Patron
Kyrieru, the creator/developer of Kurovadis has just released the demo for his third project. It seems that during development of his second project, his creative juices were sapped and he took a break and worked on a smaller-scope project for a while, and that's what we're seeing here.

Description
Eroico is another sprite-based 2D action platformer. You play as a male protagonist this time, armed with a sword, shield and some magical abilities. Kyrieru had made a poll a few days before the release of the demo asking if fans would rather see an earlier demo without all the game-over CGs that the demo would include, or would rather just have the demo as-is. He went silent for several days before posting it, which means the demo may have all the relevant CGs.

Features
A list of features can be found on the blog page, listed here or in Important Sites.

Controls
The controls are programmable, but here are the defaults.

style="width: 300px" align="centre" class="cms_table_outer_border"
|-
| C
| Action 1 (Attack)
|-
| Space
| Action 2 (Dash Backwards)
|-
| X
| Jump
|-
| H
| ------ (Forced fall-down)
|-
| Left/Right
| Directional Movement
|-
| Down
| Crouch/Block
|-
| Up
| Use Magic (Press attack button)
Double-Tapping down while in mid-air causes the player to do a momentum-changing downwards thrust.
QCF+Attack while on the ground will do a forward-dashing stab attack.
The game also has native support for game-pads (played with PS3 controller without issue).

Important Sites
[url]http://www.kyrieru.com/2013/02/demo-for-mini-game.html[/URL]
The blog post relating to the release of the demo.

Requirements
- The game is not graphically intensive.
- On start-up it consumes ~200mb of ram, and around 7 - 10% of my i5's processing power.
- You will need to be able to extract the game, which uses .rar compression.

Screenshots

ZLvMVP6.jpg vCnV2vx.jpg

Posted: February 20th, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Don't link directly to the files, only link to the creator's site.

Due to the feedback there's a new version with two difficulty settings:
Kyrieru: Updated demo (difficulty)

"Hard" is like the old version (4 health, enemies die in 3/2 hits).
In "Normal" you have 8 health and enemies die in 2/1 hits. however the old problem that you can hardly regain your health remains; hearts should give 2 health, not just 1.

fedefyr

Ryonani Teamster
Ugh this game...The problem isnt that its hard, the problem is that it is frustrating...easy fix: For starters more save points...keep it difficult but would stop it from being frustrating...

Dan Druff

Club Regular
male...protagonist...damn...
Almost every game has female victim/protagonist already. Games with male victim/protagonist are very rare, but it's still too much for some people who quickly demand a similar game with female victim/protagonist instead. Case in point http://www.undertow.club/downloadable-games/4487-onesyota-7.html#post44755

This game isn't true gyaku ryona; it's just a platformer with sex scenes tacked on. The sex has no consequences for the player; it's just a bunch of lusty female creatures helping themselves to a stunned player. Even the creator of the game shies away at something that could be considered gyaku ryona. If the player loses to the second boss, she turns him female because we can't have a female violate a male with a dildo; let a female take it. As a game itself, it's not too bad, but I don't like not being able to use a gamepad during parts where you have to swing the sword on those floating boxes to bounce across. Personally, I was less impressed with the full game as I was with the demo.

hungry1239945

Potential Patron
male protagonists in ryona game.. that's lame for me.

maybe girls think otherwise, but I really wish never to see male victim games again.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
male protagonists in ryona game.. that's lame for me.

maybe girls think otherwise, but I really wish never to see male victim games again.

Well, we cater to everybody, including those who may enjoy the things you don't. If that is your opinion, then fine, but I know at least three people just off the top of my head who prefer male victims. If you don't like the content, then don't view the content. If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel. But this forum was meant to be a place you can discuss all the things you enjoy that you would not necessarily discuss in real life, and to be done in a way that breeds openness and freedom. The last thing we need is to start judging each other and their preferences. That's entirely why this board was created, to get away from that. Please just try to keep that in mind in the future.

fun_damentalz

Potential Patron
Preferences aside, let's talk about the game itself!

One thing I like about Kyrieru's games (I can say that now 'cuz there are two of em) is the gameplay. The controls are (generally) tight, the characters do not suffer a lack of mobility and maneuverability, and combat gives more than "punch/special" or "kick repeatedly until they're dead". The only other game I can think of that has back-dash attack cancels is Hounds of the Blade.

While I too favour female protagonists for games like these, my only gripes with the game are 1) It's difficulty, and 2) It's length. The difficulty settings make no sense to me; I played for a while on normal, and got so frustrated on the first level that I went FILDI and started a game on Hard mode, and blew right through it. Playing this game has also given me a new philosophy on game-over CG collecting: "Immediately lose to a new enemy, no exceptions". I'm missing the second-last portrait and the only way to get it is to play through the whole thing again.

Thankfully, that's where problem #2 helps. The game isn't nearly as long as Kurovadis. He (under)states that right in his blog, but moreso than I expected. The game doesn't offer much in the way of replayability, and one go through might be enough for most people. I'm overlooking this because the game only costs $5, has the great gameplay mentioned above and has sprite animations that don't require game-over to initiate.

One thing that makes the game a little easier in some regards is that you can use the same exploit as was available in Kurovadis. It makes some boss fights much easier (too easy, in fact).

I'm really looking forward to Kurovadis II or whatever future project Kyrieru has planned. I hope with a new dev team, he can manage to put the game out in record time.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
Playing this game has also given me a new philosophy on game-over CG collecting: "Immediately lose to a new enemy, no exceptions". I'm missing the second-last portrait and the only way to get it is to play through the whole thing again.
No need to do that, that's one of the reasons why it's very easy "cheat" by editing the savegame files. You can edit them with a texteditor and change your health points, damage and among other things also your progress.
The six-lowest value in each .txt file defines from which savepoint you start, and the values for the savepoints are 3 31 34 33 49 63 58 60 61 and/or 74; I'm not 100% sure if there's one between 60 and 74. Just copy the savegame, rename it to a different number and start from every savepoint you like.

fun_damentalz

Potential Patron
I'm glad you mentioned that after the fact, lest I have been tempted before I had started my first play through. I might just do that, then!

K

Kyrieru

With the DLsite version, if you press F4 and then go into the options menu, it will fix the problem, because it will create a config.txt file.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
This is absolutely not directed at you or anyone else in particular, fun_damentalz, but...

I did not realize that this guy was a member. :/

Let this just serve as a good reason to why people don't ask for "free downloads" of full games around here! You never know who's watching, and the guys who own their stuff may just very well be vindictive enough to take you to the legal cleaners about it. And trust me, if it comes down to it, we (or at least, I) will give the owners of the intellectual property people are trying to steal everything they need to nail your ass to the wall. Post screenshots, IP addresses, etc. So use your heads before you ask where to steal things, and just purchase the game. That "free" download may just not be so free after all.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
I did not realize that this guy was a member. :/

Kyrieru has been a member of this forum since 2011 :D

I do think he has said that he "understands" when people pirate it, but it makes him cry...

So unless you want to make Kyrieru cry, just buy it!

ps: I have bought it, great game and glad to know it helps fund his next project!!!
I also bought his previous game too and intend to buy his next one as well and all his future projects!

The only thing I mind with this one is I wish each area had a checkpoint, or at least every other area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.