Best practice for organizing dialogues? (1 Viewer)

edgelord 3000

Content Creator
Up until now, I've packaged my dialogues in a zip file containing two folders, Dialogues and animtools_positions. That way, when people download it, they can just extract it into their Settings folder and everything should work.
For my next dialogue, I may want to include a background in the zip file, but it seems I can only load backgrounds from character folders. That means I have to add another folder into my zip file, and some subfolders as well to make sure people can just do one simple extract to make everything work. But I've also noticed that other dialogue creators tend to put their dialogue files into character folders, and not in the Settings folder like I have. So I'm thinking maybe I should start doing that, and that gives me quite a few options on how to handle my old dialogues and new ones...

So the options I have for new dialogues are:
1) Don't include backgrounds in the zip file, just make a separate download and tell people to load it when they load the dialogue. Basically, the "don't change anything" option.
2) Make a single character folder where I put all my backgrounds for all my dialogues, and keep the Dialogues folder under Settings and put the dialogue files itself there.
3) Make a single character folder where I put all my backgrounds and dialogues, animtools positions still have to go to the Settings/animtools_positions folder.
4) Make a character folder for each dialogue with the corresponding background (if any) in there, animtools positions still have to go to the Settings/animtools_positions folder.
5) Something else (please specify).

When I've decided what to do with new dialogues, the options I have for the old dialogues are:
1) Leave the old ones in the Settings/Dialogues folder even if they get an update, unless the update requires a character folder for some reason.
2) Whenever an old dialogue gets an update, update it to follow the same standard as the new dialogues.
3) Update all the old dialogues to follow the same standard as the new dialogues.
4) Something else (please specify).

So, what should I do?

Fuck me, why do I write so much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.